Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Ported IM with eclipse V6 TB question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ported IM with eclipse V6 TB question

Well I have a 4g69 IM coming in the mail within the next few weeks, which I will be getting professionally ported. As well I'll be picking up the 06-08 eclipse GT TB to accompany it. My question is, after having a quick discussion at work my friend driving a 180sx stated I might need bigger fuel injectors or an upgraded fuel pump to compensate for the extra air. I don't think I will have to, on the other hand would it be a terrible idea to look in to doing that? I think the ECU will handle the extra air just fine, on a second note I don't see how it could eff the MAF up and put the car in to limp mode or anything too terrible either. Also, the local place I'll probably be taking it to will want to know how much of the IM should be ported, so that should be as far as the edge of the gasket (correct?)

If anyone's got this done up let me know if you've had any problems or what your effects are (I'm only expecting a more nice tone/growl on the throttle and a little imporoved thottle response than any big HP gains)

Thanks alot
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:32 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok well upgrading the injectors and fuel pump would be a waste of time and money without a turbo added to the equation. As for porting just go as large as the gasket unless your willing to port the head,gasket and intake manifold matched to one another.(much more work involved) good luck with everything keep us posted .....
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Well I could see where he was coming from, thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm just going to get the IM ported, the head can sit for a little while longer ha. Thing is I'll have a core to supply to get ported but I don't have an extra gasket, I'll buy a new one to supply to the machinist and then use the new gasket when the new IM goes on
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:56 PM

how much bigger is the eclipse gt v6 intake throttle body bigger than the RA stock one????
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

it's +3mm bore, ralliart's is 62mm and the gt 3.8L v6's is 65mm
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:02 AM

thanks bro...i'm thinking of going with this setup...ported and polished IM, ECLIPSE GT TB and RPW thermal gasket for IM and for TB...i think that will both keep cooler the entire intake system and will increase air flow...what do you guys think...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:56 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Sounds great!!! That's my set up so it really "sounds" great lol
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Were there different TB sizes for the RA or something. Not sure where guys are getting 62mm from. But measured mine two weeks ago and it wa son the money 60mm. The Endeavor TB is 63mm, the same size opening as our IM...perfect fit. The Eclipse GT is 65mm. 3mm increase in the TB bore is more than ample.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:30 AM

i think that setup combined with a ceramic coating on the manifold and on the hot side will be huge...i already have an oil and tranny cooler...i just want to lower the engine bay temperature and the airflow temperature as much as i can...does the thermal gaskets are worthable??????? what's your opinion on them?????
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:01 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Lol I have the ceramic coating as well on the intake manifold , have you been under my hood ?:/ lol .... As for the thermal spacers they seem to do the job , I don't have exact temp before/after readings but the intake manifold and cai aren't as hot to the touch after some driving.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:54 PM

a guy from a machine shop near my place asked me $100 total for port and polished including the state tax...how does that price sounds?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

That sounds pretty good. The cheapest place in the the U.S. is PPI. The port is about 65, but shipping will run you about 40 bux to them. Your total cost is about 100 - 110.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:12 PM

but now i'm confused...i talk to the guy and he said he will port the runners but not the TB...is the TB also ported????? what's the complete job????
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

On the Intake Manifold two things can be ported:
1. The Intake runners
2. The throttle body opening (currently 63mm )

The stock throttle body itself can be ported (stock at 60mm), but I highly recommend you send it to a professional such as maxbore or proflow if you go that route.

Or you can just buy a TB from the Endeavor and you will avoid the need for any more port work beyond the intake runners.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:59 PM

hey man do you think the evo IM is the same as ours???? cause a friend of mine has an evo TB mounted with a mitsubishi mirage ecu and reflash....what do you know about this???

Quick Reply: Ported IM with eclipse V6 TB question