Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Throttle Body or RRM Timing Box?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truthfully,

Unless you are able to separate the intake manifold from the engine block heat the TB bypass is pretty pointless. Save yourself that silly effort.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Ralliartize It, have any experience with swapping the throttle body's?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Yes I do. I currently run the Galant V6/Endeavor TB 63mm. The Galant Ralliart and Eclipse GT have the same TB (65mm). I know some guys want to run the 65mm TB, but I measured our inlet with a digital vernier caliper....it's 63mm on the dot....same as the Endeavor TB. Go with that and you will be fine.

Last edited by Ralliartize It; Jan 19, 2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

our stock TB is 63mm? If so, what would be the point of swapping to the Endeavor TB? Or did i read it wrong?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Not the TB, the port on the intake manifold is 63mm. The stock TB is something like 59.3mm.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliartize It
Not the TB, the port on the intake manifold is 63mm. The stock TB is something like 59.3mm.
He's right. Personally I'd go timing box before the TB. Unless you have a ported IM that actually allows all the additional air to travel in cleanly with a phenolic gasket that can keep the air cooler and more dense in the IM , I don't think the TB alone will give you instant 8whp like the timing box.

My ported IM is going to have 65mm plenum, the TB is an endeavor 63mm inlet but bored/tapered out to 65mm on the intake side. Should be interesting to see what happens once it pops up in the mail haha.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Timing box or UD pulley is much better for you right now vs TB.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:38 AM

One question you should ask yourself is, are you planning on the ECU re-flash sometime in the future?
If yes, then the TB, if no...then back to sq 1
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, Thanks for all your help guys! Right now I have an UDP in my backseat, I think I'm going to get the RRM Timing Box right now. Come closer to summer, I think I'm going to get the Endeavor Throttle Body. Once I get the Throttle Body after the Timing box, I'm going to put all three parts on at the same time, so hopefully I will feel some gains.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerralli06
Ok, Thanks for all your help guys! Right now I have an UDP in my backseat, I think I'm going to get the RRM Timing Box right now. Come closer to summer, I think I'm going to get the Endeavor Throttle Body. Once I get the Throttle Body after the Timing box, I'm going to put all three parts on at the same time, so hopefully I will feel some gains.
I currently run the RRM timing box, UDP and SRI on my car. The Timing Box was very noticable as was the UDP. My next upgrades will be an exhaust header and Galant TB.

If you are short on cash, I would suggest foregoing the Timing Box for now since it will require you to run mid-grade (89 octane). You would benefit more with the UDP and TB since you can still run 87 octane. Now if you can shell out the extra cash at the pump, then the Timing Box is well worth it.

Where abouts do you live in Wisco? I'm in Milwaukee.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

I figured I should just get the timing box as I'm getting it used for cheaper than RRM new. The gas prices don't really bother me, I just don't have the extra cash for the throttle body all at once at the moment. I received a ticket in the mail, because I didn't fully stop when a police officer was passing me with his lights on. I know I'll regret not getting the timing box for a good price.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Oh and I didn't see your question about where I am. I'm in Appleton, but I come down by Milwaukee occasionally, I was born in Racine and all my family is down there.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Velo, if you can find a shop that can custom make you a downpipe you would be just fine. OEM header is pretty bad ***.

Originally Posted by veloracer
I currently run the RRM timing box, UDP and SRI on my car. The Timing Box was very noticable as was the UDP. My next upgrades will be an exhaust header and Galant TB.

If you are short on cash, I would suggest foregoing the Timing Box for now since it will require you to run mid-grade (89 octane). You would benefit more with the UDP and TB since you can still run 87 octane. Now if you can shell out the extra cash at the pump, then the Timing Box is well worth it.

Where abouts do you live in Wisco? I'm in Milwaukee.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Whats the big difference between stock down pipe and a custom or aftermarket?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Stock header is "this" big. Stock downpipe is "this" big. Upgrade the downpipe and you've unlocked a big bottleneck on the car.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body or RRM Timing Box?