Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

2004 RA Trans (Rebuild It // Purchase Used)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
for all shaft bearings you're looking at maybe $150, and for synchros it depends on which ones/how many are worn...and the ****ty thing is that even with mine i replaced my 3rd gear synchronizer ring and spring and 20,000km later it started to grind again, though not as bad, and with the amsoil GL4 it's gotten a bit better... and even my old synchro ring was not worn beyond specs, so i feel like it may be a linkage issue, or there was too much material removed from the gears due to the grinding...but we wouldn't know how bad it is until we take it apart...rings and springs are cheap, gears and sleeves are not cheap...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got to work and the first thing i do is check the thread. i'm starting to get an idea of the work that needs to be done and i'm hyped up about this!

on a side not, my 2nd grinds at all times if you don't stop at the gate or let the rpm go down a bit. i also noticed that my 3rd is starting to grind a bit too but only if i downshift.

this is going to be a VERY good learning experience! i really can't wait for this to happen!

crans, i can't thank you enough for the support that you're providing! this is crazy...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:33 AM

Yo i wish my car had that munch kms on it i got 260,000 km on mine its fallen apart !!!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

mine's got like 206,000 or something...so 14,000km since turbo install, and a lot of hard driving....she's holding up...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

hopefully mine holds up until i'm ready for some AUTOCROSSING

i've never brought my RA to a track purely because i don't want anything bad to happen to it. someday i'll be able to join all of you on the track. i know i won't keep up but at least i can drive on a track :P
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

See not one gear ever grinds for me. EVER. Unless I'm on the highway going 90 and going from neutral to 4 or 3. But who the hell does that. Just my second gear is a b1tch getting in..From First to second, something is "blocking" me from getting in second gear then I move the shifter a bit back up then back into 2 no problem. but that's if I shift fairly fast at 3k higher rpm. If I honestly granny shift the hell out if it, then it goes in
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

@markchamorro: i granny my shift ever since i got it but i guess it's just not good enough for my RA. i need to be more careful when to shift especially when it's higher rpm. i usually cruise down the highway when there are no cars around then i shift into 4th or 5th however fast i'm going. it never grinds for me. as per your 2nd, i think it's just a matter of clutching it ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. please don't forget to search for HOW TO ADJUST CLUTCH FROM PEDAL. my shifting got so much better after i adjusted my clutch pedal (right under the dashboard of your car, there should be a little nut that you can unscrew and adjust -- something like that).

cheers my friend!

PS: still so excited about the upcoming trans fix! woot woot!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:07 AM

Im going to fix it up an give to my brother an buy another ralliart with manual tranny then go boost !!!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure you can't down shift to third going 90mph Mark... Maybe thats why your car keeps having problems your beating the hell out of it! There's a time and a place for everything
Old Aug 7, 2012, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

just did mine cost 700$ just to change the ISB then ended up having to change 2nd and 5th gear syncros ended up costing me 900$+ tax. Still feels weird gears having a hard time going in sometimes, alot more then before thats forsure.

Also after the rebuilt i had this happen to me two times i dont know if it was cuz the gear wasnt in all the way but I starting off in 1st gear giving it little pushes of gas to take offf and then a loud bang like 3 times and the gear got pushed out hard pretty scary ****

Last edited by JTCB; Aug 7, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
I'm pretty sure you can't down shift to third going 90mph Mark... Maybe thats why your car keeps having problems your beating the hell out of it! There's a time and a place for everything
LOL! i can do 90mph in 3rd, but definately downshifting to 3rd at that speed is really bad...you're out of the power band anyways, so it pointless and wrecks your transmission...

Originally Posted by JTCB
just did mine cost 700$ just to change the ISB then ended up having to change 2nd and 5th gear syncros ended up costing me 900$+ tax. Still feels weird gears having a hard time going in sometimes, alot more then before thats forsure.

Also after the rebuilt i had this happen to me two times i dont know if it was cuz the gear wasnt in all the way but I starting off in 1st gear giving it little pushes of gas to take offf and then a loud bang like 3 times and the gear got pushed out hard pretty scary ****
have you tried new cables and control housing?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Not to sure what that is. I also wonder if they changed the trani oil when they did the work.

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
LOL! i can do 90mph in 3rd, but definately downshifting to 3rd at that speed is really bad...you're out of the power band anyways, so it pointless and wrecks your transmission...

have you tried new cables and control housing?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

they would have to, unless the drained it, took it apart, and then put the old oil back in, once it was back in the car...check you PM, for those who don't know what we're talking about, your shifter is connected to cables, which push/pull the selectors on the control housing, incorrect cable length from worn or stretched cables could cause shifting issues, as well if the selectors have bent or something, then it doesn't matter if you have a brand new input/ouput shaft, you'll still have shifting issues...
Old Aug 8, 2012, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
@rzrxn and Crans, did you guys get to rebuild the gearbox ? How did it go ?

I found this recently if anyone needs it:

http://www.mivec.co.nz/tech/F5M42_Gearbox_Manual.pdf

Last edited by 2006_RA; Aug 8, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

mine was a small overhaul...i just did main shaft bearings and 3rd gear...