Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Mark's Amazing Ralliart History /Dropping the tranny; Installing Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
no homo, but you look like a pretty strong dude...i'm pretty thin, and i can do it by hand on jack stands, so you probably do better than me, but yes it can be a ****ing **** sucker...

what do you figure these things weigh? when i'm done pressing the ****er in, my elbows and sternum hurt, that's normal right?

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Dec 6, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahaha ive never seen crans talk Like that lmfao,It's about 80-90 pounds I read somewhere. But yes, thats normal, after I'm on a bench press the chest and elbows do hurt, as well as my ****ed up shoulders
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
no homo, but you look like a pretty strong dude...i'm pretty thin, and i can do it by hand on jack stands, so you probably do better than me, but yes it can be a ****ing **** sucker...

what do you figure these things weigh? when i'm done pressing the ****er in, my elbows and sternum hurt, that's normal right?
Haha Crans you are the man lol
This thing probably weighs about 80 pounds ~ 100 pounds, thats just my guess. Either way, its a fat b**** trying to squeee into a straw.
Its like you have to lift the tranny with one hand, and use the other hand to guide it into the engine block.

To tell you the truth, I had more of a hard time trying to get the rear motor mount bolt holes to align correctly. I had the same problem with the Evo.
Hopefully I have an easy day at work so I can just go to the garage and finish this bad boy up. I want to see how it runs after all this
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

i only had to do it myself once, the first time, my brother in law was up top, and it was actually really easy and took like 5 minutes. I've had mine out 3 times, and only replaced the clutch once

with the fidanza flywheel i would imagine she'll be a little peppier...wouldn't hurt to tune her up a bit if it hasn't been done in a while...like Lanzer said go easy on her for a bit, a few hundred miles for sure...it's so tempting to not step on it, that i actually just said **** it when i did mine, and drive her like i stole after about 200 kilometers, but my theory was how could i possibly slip an ACT 2100 with 160hp, lol, still holds after 60,000km and a lot of hard launches, and high rpm downshifting.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Tune up has in plugs etc.? Or a tune tune? Bc I'm waiting for money on hackish but yea I'm thinking soon for some NGK plugs and other little things
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

no i mean like check fuel filter, make sure that's clean, run some injector cleaner through a full tank of clean gas, check valve lash, change the spark plugs, replace/clean your air filter, change the engine oil, check/clean the MAF, and one thing that often gets over looked cause it's not easy to inspect is the cat, but an old clogged catalytic converter will make your car run like a sunfire...

a good tune to lean her out a bit really wakes it up, but do the basics first...my butt dyno always makes me feel like i gained 5hp after an oil change, lol

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Dec 6, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Lol you're making me miss my car a lot more, fidanza flywheel, new tranny oil redline, ugh... I've done the sea foam, I think 1/3 in a full tank and the rest through the vacuum line, or vice versa. Might put some in the oil next oil change, which will be ASAP, I'll look for how to's to do what you've named although seems straight forward. Thank you Crans, always the man. I've said that at least 8 times throughout these forums lol
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:47 PM

Use a hydrolic jack to get the transmission back in.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FourG69
Use a hydrolic jack to get the transmission back in.
that doesn't work...that would actually make it harder to do...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
that doesn't work...that would actually make it harder to do...
To each there own but I was under my car with the tranny on my chest forever trying to get it back in until I put it on a jack and got it in much easier.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

well, you can't insert the transmission vertically, so i just don't see the advatage to jacking it in...you need to slide it in laterally on an angle, to get the input shaft into the clutch before you can even lift transmission up past the main crossmember, if there's a jack that does that i'll buy one. I can see if you're not strong enough using it to support the weight, but it would take 5 times as long...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

i sure hope doing this on a lift will make it much easier...(thank god i work at a shop...lol)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

on a lift, you'll need a transmission stand/jack, but it will still require some muscle to slide it in...it's not a straight up and in affair regardless of the equipment you have available...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

but im sure @ least standing up makes it somewhat easier than on your back
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

bench press is easier than shoulder press

Quick Reply: Mark's Amazing Ralliart History /Dropping the tranny; Installing Clutch