Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

There's no solution to exhaust rasp after obx headers!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no solution to exhaust rasp after obx headers!

Is there any solution to the raspiness these obx headers give . It sucks I've tried those big ****ty glass pack resonators nothing . I've tried vibrant , still nothing ! Can anyone share there set up please ? Someone help a brother out .
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Care to quantify what you've tried with part numbers and/or dimensions please ?
Perhaps you can also share what inside diameter you have and any other components you may be using to make up your exhaust.
Consensus has been that a 2 foot resonator works well.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Care to quantify what you've tried with part numbers and/or dimensions please ?
Perhaps you can also share what inside diameter you have and any other components you may be using to make up your exhaust.
Consensus has been that a 2 foot resonator works well.
For sure ! Im running obx headers , stock piping from the catback Vibrant 12" resonator (I use to have the long glass pack like 20" before I took it out and put the vibrant one on and it was still raspy but from there I have a magnaflow muffler 2.25 in 2.5 outlet
Old Jun 2, 2015, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, please read this thread, it covers the issue and references some related threads too.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...-question.html
Old Jun 7, 2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Ok, please read this thread, it covers the issue and references some related threads too.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...-question.html
That didn't help much because the guy that says he has the 22" resonator says he still has rasp . So I guess there no solution
Old Jun 8, 2015, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Well loud and loudness are subjective. Only you would know what you call a solution.

In one of the threads I see :
"When I installed my OBX header I was not able to drive over 2500RPM without scaring other motorists with my rasp haha.

Ended up getting a larger resonator (as lanzer had said), high-flow cat and a different muffler (magnaflow #18429 I think, offhand)"

That sound like a solution to me. If you want it to be as quiet as it was when stock, that can be achieved too. There is no reason to use only one resonator and the barrel has a lot of influence too. Again though, you know what your target is.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im having the same raspy problem bro!
im running the obx header, installed 2 14inch resonators and a Varex Xforce muffler and still hate the sound... I replaced the 2 resonators with the vibrant ultra silent resonator but it just did a little change....
Old Jul 7, 2015, 01:26 PM

i had a rasp before with just my magnaflow axleback but after i got a tune from hackish the raspiness has subsided quite a bit
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

When I installed mine years ago.. it had a really terrible rasp at this point my car was straight pipe with a muffler. So I put on a high flow cat it quiet down a little more after that I went and bought one of those glasspacks from canadian tire. The longuest one I could find. That made an enormous difference but there was still that rasp. Found out 2 years later my exhaust had been leaking from the flex pipe. After changing the flex pipe rasp was gone. I can make a video show you how my car sounds.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by JTCB
When I installed mine years ago.. it had a really terrible rasp at this point my car was straight pipe with a muffler. So I put on a high flow cat it quiet down a little more after that I went and bought one of those glasspacks from canadian tire. The longuest one I could find. That made an enormous difference but there was still that rasp. Found out 2 years later my exhaust had been leaking from the flex pipe. After changing the flex pipe rasp was gone. I can make a video show you how my car sounds.
Make a video bro I want to see
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:36 PM

AT LASSS!
I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION
im currently running the obx header and dp, with a 2 1/2 baffle resonator and a obx twin loop muffler.
beautiful combo as is sounds close to stock just bit deeper and louder,with no rasp and the flow is DEFINETLY there
Old Aug 9, 2016, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by R/Asportback
AT LASSS!
I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION
im currently running the obx header and dp, with a 2 1/2 baffle resonator and a obx twin loop muffler.
beautiful combo as is sounds close to stock just bit deeper and louder,with no rasp and the flow is DEFINETLY there
Got any pictures?

I take it that you installed both at the same time? That twin loop muffler looks a little funny. I'm wondering how good just the 2 1/2 baffle resonator would do. I like keeping the exhaust looking as stealthy as possible.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tw3NTy0n3
Got any pictures?

I take it that you installed both at the same time? That twin loop muffler looks a little funny. I'm wondering how good just the 2 1/2 baffle resonator would do. I like keeping the exhaust looking as stealthy as possible.
No everything was installed at different times, muffler was almost 2 years ago, header was in March, and baffled red was about a week ago, I'm not near my car right now . But I will try and get a picture after work
Old Aug 25, 2016, 04:43 PM

hey guys so i'm gonna join in here and ask has anyone tried doing a header wrap??
i have an 04 ralliart with long tube (i believe that d be the technical term, essentially the first cat is non existent) headers and 2.5" maganaflow cat back exhaust love the sound of the muffler but i can almost always hear the heads being raspy over the exhaust note.