Notices

Vibration after timing belt/balancer belt install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration after timing belt/balancer belt install

I'm having the same issues discussed in this thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...vibration.html

Had a mechanic do the work: first time he changes stuff out, it starts vibrating in a linear relationship to RPMs right after I get it back from him. The vibration is VERY noticeable around 4k RPMs and above. I take it back. He says "eveything is ok." but still more vibration. I take it back again (today). He calls me and says, "the belt is loose and out of spec."

could this type of vibration be caused by a loose belt? Or only by a belt that isn't put on right? I told him about the 2.4" screwdriver thing mentioned in the thread I linked.... but he didn't say much about it.

He's putting it back together again so I'll find out in a few hours.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 02:00 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Might be a tooth or two off on one of the balance shafts. I've been a tooth off before on the balance shaft belt because I've found that the mark on the shaft doesn't actually line up 100% with the reference point when the engine is at TDC. You can install the belt either 1/2 tooth before the mark or a 1/2 tooth after. Granted, when I did that, I only noticed extra vibration at idle.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:38 PM

Got it back from the mechanic today. He said once again that it is fine. When I talked to him earlier in the day, he said,"this is the OZ lancer, right." Being the third time he had my car, that statement didn't exactly instill confidence in him. NEW MECHANIC TIME!!

I have some noises coming from my resonator and muffler so I'm going to replace that as well. I'm getting a second opinion on Wed. on the vibration issue. If it is what I think it is.... I'll be asking for a refund on crap labor.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

I jsut got my timing belt done to a month or two ago and i noticed the same thing and we couldnt figure out what it was, but it only happend around 5500 rpm, so hopefully this will work!! It will be awesome to finally get rid of that annoying vibration
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:18 PM

I looked at this when it was off. Makes sense now that I have seen it. The marking on the gear portion was slightly above the mark on the engine. The mechanic said it needed to be slightly below... Put everything back together and much better now. The ticking noises I was hearing before have subsided as well ... Amazing what a fraction of an inch can do to everything. Time to get a refund from the other mechanic.

A note to everyone planning on doing timing/balancer belt replacement: Make sure the mark on the upper left balancer shaft (looks like a small gear about the size of the bottom of a pop can) is slightly below the mark on the engine.

Last edited by Kalivar; Jul 8, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 02:24 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Kalivar
I looked at this when it was off. Makes sense now that I have seen it. The marking on the gear portion was slightly above the mark on the engine. The mechanic said it needed to be slightly below... Put everything back together and much better now. The ticking noises I was hearing before have subsided as well ... Amazing what a fraction of an inch can do to everything. Time to get a refund from the other mechanic.

A note to everyone planning on doing timing/balancer belt replacement: Make sure the mark on the upper left balancer shaft (looks like a small gear about the size of the bottom of a pop can) is slightly below the mark on the engine.
That's exactly the mistake I made when I last did mine. I set the mark slightly above when it should be slightly below. Really easy mistake to make and thankfully also an easy one to fix.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 01:24 AM

I went back to the original mechanic, explained the situation, showed him it was fixed, and tactfully displayed that it had been set a 1/2 tooth off.

Being the stand up guy that he was, he admitted he was wrong and that he made a mistake, and fully reimbursed me for the amount that the 2nd mechanic charged me. I thought to myself... "this is a mark of a guy that I would want to do buisness with again. Everyone makes mistakes (and this was an ez one to make), but very few would own up to it AND reimburse you. If only all mechanics admitted when they were wrong or made a mistake.

@ otter. Your deduction (obviously from personal experience) was correct and most helpful at getting this resolved without costing me extra green. TYVM!!
Old Jul 11, 2009, 08:08 AM
EvoM Administrator

Happy to help
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

So I took my car to my mechanic today and i actualy brought him a print out of this thead and the other one. He said that before my timing mark was about half a tooth above so he moved it half a tooth below, but he couldnt find the balance shaft access port, where exactly is this? But im still getting a vibration above 5000 rpm, and it runs great untill then.
Anybody got any ideas?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

bump, can anyone help me out?