Notices

For those of you who live in cooler climates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation For those of you who live in cooler climates

For those of you who live in cooler climates, especially those who live in Canada/states where it gets to -15*C (4*F), I would recommend heading over to Part Source/Autozone and getting your battery tested in conjunction with your winter prepping.

I just went today to get my battery tested for winter and it turns out my battery can only pump out 401 CCA. Brand new stock battery is rated at 520 CCA, so I am in need of a new battery before it gets really cold.

To remove your battery you need a 10 mm wrench/socket as well as a combination wrench/pliers if your negative terminal is finicky. I am in need of a new negative terminal so I'm hoping to post my first how-to on that in a few weeks if I have time.

and fyi I have an 05 Ralliart with the stock battery from the factory, so I guess it has lasted me about 4 years of use
hope this helps and hope everyone enjoys what's coming
Old Nov 9, 2009, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

batterys dont last as long as they used to. when my old man originally bought his Toyota T100 in 1993, the original battery lasted till 2002 until all power was gone one morning. pretty amazing.

oh and, i can wait for what's coming. i can wait a loooong time.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thomar
batterys dont last as long as they used to. when my old man originally bought his Toyota T100 in 1993, the original battery lasted till 2002 until all power was gone one morning. pretty amazing.

oh and, i can wait for what's coming. i can wait a loooong time.
yeah. I think they would last even shorter though in our lancers since the exhaust manifold is in the front and the radiator fans will be blowing on that, heating up the air in the engine bay more than it would in a car which the exhaust manifold were in the back. same reason why our fan controllers die a lot... (which I haven't had time to deal with the dealership still )

another note is that it can die suddenly too. my dad's taurus went like that. it was all good and it started just fine. then BAM -20*C and no power

and I can't wait.. I'm getting bored of this dry pavement and want the lake to freeze so I can do some ice racing (legal of course)

@Thomar: do you have some winter tires? if so do you want to take an ice-racing/performance winter driving class?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

yea i got some winter tires. where and how much?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thomar
yea i got some winter tires. where and how much?
the last 2 years I took it was $80, I'm pretty sure this year will be $80 as well. usually held at the beginning to mid of January kind of near Camrose, but it might be in Leduc this year... depending if the ice is thick enough... It's 3 hours of classroom one evening, and then a full day at the track, from 9-4 usually, I'll keep you posted on when registration opens
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

sweet yea. thanks.