Notices

Does anyone else have noise coming from the sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone else have noise coming from the sunroof?

Last night i was driving up a windy mountain road and my sunroof started to squeak/groan really bad whenever i went around a corner or over a bump. this is my 4th car with a sunroof and i have never had this problem befor. has anyone else experienced this problem? other than that i have never had any squeaks or rattles.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

the only thing i can maybe relate to, and i'm used to it from having lowered cars with stiff suspension....is when i'm going in and out of parking lots or driveways where the car's body flexes, there are some groans......and like i said that's from the car having such stiff suspension that it doesn't give as well when the car is flexing.....
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

i sure hope that is it. i have never heard this sound before, that is why i am even remotely worried. i will take it in and let the dealer decide when i get a chance. almost 1/10th of the way through my warranty. turned over 9k miles on monday. i drive too much
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by chucko_66
i sure hope that is it. i have never heard this sound before, that is why i am even remotely worried. i will take it in and let the dealer decide when i get a chance. almost 1/10th of the way through my warranty. turned over 9k miles on monday. i drive too much
Mine makes that creaking/popping/cracking sound too, especially with the sunroof closed and the innner cover back. I haven't had a chance for the body people @ to take a look at it but I plan on it, along with my rock chipped paint.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

I can't say that I have any sunroof noise yet....but I've got rattling noise coming from the rear pillars.....is that normal in cold weather? And how could I alleviate it?
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I get that noise coming from the back window/pillar area. Im assuming that its cause the rubber housing or something is cold and its just grinding against eachother.. Im hoping it goes away as weather gets nice.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

i was asking about the sunroof, but i have heard the noise from the pillars also. but only when it is raining, which is almost every day. from what i can tell, it is rain coming off the mirror and hitting the window frame. at least i hope that is what it is. i noticed that turning up the radio seems to drown it out.
Old May 19, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

OK here is the scoop

The noise is the rubber seal binding against the painted surfaces. The mitsu tech lubed it up w/ some silicone grease and it went away for a while. However, that stuff dried and turned into glue, and then my sunroof stopped opening. I went back and they replaced the seal. The noise went away for a while and I can use my sunroof again, but now the noise is back. I'm going to try some good old vasoline to see if it helps. That's what I used to use on seals and packings for helicopters, so it should work for these seals as well.
Old May 20, 2004, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

In everyday life, there are 2 things that you will need to aid you when ur in trouble. For things that should move but it doesnt, use WD40. It will always lube things up. For things that shouldnt move but it does, use duc tape. It can patch almost everything. They may look odd, but they work.
Old May 20, 2004, 09:08 PM

I had a problem with my sunroof today for the first time. I went to slide it back and it cracked like an inch then wouldnt open any further. Then i closed it, it would tilt, I closed it, tried to slide it back and it wouldnt go back, I repeated the closing and opening process several times and it still woudnt open, like it was jammed or something. I dont know. But then I stopped to buy some beer and when i got back in my car and started it again, I tried to open it and it opened fine. hmmmm, I dont know.
Old May 22, 2004, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by faded ser
I had a problem with my sunroof today for the first time. I went to slide it back and it cracked like an inch then wouldnt open any further. Then i closed it, it would tilt, I closed it, tried to slide it back and it wouldnt go back, I repeated the closing and opening process several times and it still woudnt open, like it was jammed or something. I dont know. But then I stopped to buy some beer and when i got back in my car and started it again, I tried to open it and it opened fine. hmmmm, I dont know.
That's exactly what happened after the tech "fixed" my cracking/popping/squeeking noise with lubrication (read: glue). I could coax it open with my hand, but it wouldn't go on its own. The flip-up function continued to work.

I would flip up your sunroof, wipe the rubber seal around it with alcohol, wipe out the sill it rests in with alcohol, and then lube the rubber seal with vasoline. If that doesn't cure it, your sunroof motor might be dying.
Old May 28, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

I just got mine Three weeks ago, no sound what so ever, yet.
Old May 28, 2004, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

I never noticed the noise till after about two months. I notice it alot of the time, so I just open the sunroof and it goes away. I have never had any problems with it sticking though(knock on wood).
Old Jun 20, 2004, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

is this a problem with most RAs?
I'm guessing it's a select few.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

Well, hope those 2005 RAs wont have the same problems.... *cross fingers*