Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2004, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats really really nice.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah you guys got to use body filler as that bondo I used before chipped easily.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by enjoku
Yeah you guys got to use body filler as that bondo I used before chipped easily.
Here are some tips, I am no body expert but I did try (do) this mod
  • Be sure to grind parts slightly below surface height (makes life easier)
  • Fill in big holes with body filler
  • Do light sand after about 15 minutes (to remove big "piles")
  • Let it sit for about 30 minutes
  • Do a light glaze over side with body putty
  • Let dry 30 minutes
  • sand

So more or less I used both body filler and putty
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

it hink i might do this sunday.... but i need help with something:

what do you use to attach the mesh to the back part of the bumper and to the inserts? what will hole the mesh in place? thnxxx
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

I did this mod and I traced the outline of the insert onto a sheet of aluminum mesh with a sharpie and cut it out in that shape. I then glued it to the back of the insert with 2 part epoxy and had to use needle nose pliers to bend the edges back around so that it would fit back in place. I found aluminum gutter guard at home depot for very cheap and you get alot of it. Its fairly easy to cut as well, even with scissors. My grill came out great. Looks a thousand times better than stock. My only gripe is that I painted the grill gloss black and its almost invisible at times.

And big ups to Enjoku for putting this how to up. It inspired me to do mine and it looks fantastic. Thanks Enjoku!

Last edited by shiroboi; Sep 30, 2005 at 07:47 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Question

-

I'm doing this mod as we speak... I'm now at the bondo stage. I was planning on using silicone to hold the mesh... but do you think I should be better off with epoxy?

BTW, how did the paint hold on your mesh? I used some department store glavanised steel mesh on my Integra and the paint chipped away quite badly during the following year... But yours is plastic, right?

-
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiroboi
And big ups to Enjoku for putting this how to up. It inspired me to do mine and it looks fantastic. Thanks Enjoku!
I don't think he comes here anymore... I haven't seen any of his posts in the last 6 months. He only hangs out at the MCCC site (Canadian Mitsubishi site) these days I think...

-
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Nice write-up, cheap and easy. I bought the street concept ones, but I want to put the Ralliart badge from the back on the grille. Any idea on how to get it to stay without it falling off?
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsugirl420
it hink i might do this sunday.... but i need help with something:

what do you use to attach the mesh to the back part of the bumper and to the inserts? what will hole the mesh in place? thnxxx
I used clear silicone. I put a weight on the mest so it wouldn't flex out of shape and then applied a silicone bead around the edge thick enough to bond the mesh to the plastic.

Mine has been this way for over a year and its still perfect. Hope this helps ya.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r3z0nate
Nice write-up, cheap and easy. I bought the street concept ones, but I want to put the Ralliart badge from the back on the grille. Any idea on how to get it to stay without it falling off?

I bought an additionnal emblem from the dealer for 10$CAN... and I bet it's gonna hold to the mesh without any additionnal glue applied, just with the sticky tape on the back side already on it...

-
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Daddymac
I used clear silicone. I put a weight on the mest so it wouldn't flex out of shape and then applied a silicone bead around the edge thick enough to bond the mesh to the plastic.

Mine has been this way for over a year and its still perfect. Hope this helps ya.

Thanks for the tip!

-
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

thanks guys
Old Sep 30, 2005, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, to answer questions. Make sure you save the painting for last. My two part epoxy worked like a champ, and the grill is still holding. I'd recommend it again. My gutter gaurd is made out of aluminum. In hindsight, I should have primered the whole thing first but I just went straight to painting. It still looks good but I have gotten a few chips in the grill. Hardly noticable though. Remember, gloss black paint is easy to patch so don't sweat the chips so much. a $1 of gloss black testors model paint will do touch up just fine. Or you can use your spray paint and spray some in the plastic lid and paint from that. Or you can just pop the grill back off and repaint it. Its easy.

I got my Ralliart badge to stick with double sided banner tape which is mucho permanente. I got it at work, im not sure where they sell it. Maybe you could convince your local sign shop to part with a few inches of it as it will never come off unless you use a screwdriver. 3M double sided foam tape might work as well but the stuff I use is like a clear silicone rubbery tape.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

-

I bought 3M double sided tape (not the foam one, the clear packaging tape type) and that thing sticks like crazy. I needed it for my eyelids...

But I really believe the sticky backing on the emblem is almost as sticky anyway... so I'll be taking my chances with it.

BTW: Thanks for the info!

-
Old Oct 1, 2005, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Not a problem. Glad to help.

Quick Reply: DIY Custom Grill Mesh