Notices

Intakes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intakes

Why is it that i can only find a cold air intake for my ralliart instead of a performance intake. I now the car is new but i cant find any intake for it. does anyone know where i can find one? Also, my friend told me that if you have a cold air intake that because it is lower to the ground that it can suck up water if you go through a puddle and could damage the engine. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

what the hell is a 'performance intake?'

a CAI is the best performing type of intake you can buy.

If you're referring to a Short Ram intake, try Ultimate Racing. RRM is coming out with one shortly.

Yes, hydro-lock, as you're referring to, can happen. But you need a pretty deep puddle.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:24 PM

Thanks I found one on ultimate racing for $195, which isnt that bad of a price. Do you think i should go for that or for the Injen cold air intake for $230? Also do you have any idea if putting this on my car will void the warranty?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redralli04
Why is it that i can only find a cold air intake for my ralliart instead of a performance intake. I now the car is new but i cant find any intake for it. does anyone know where i can find one? Also, my friend told me that if you have a cold air intake that because it is lower to the ground that it can suck up water if you go through a puddle and could damage the engine. Does anyone know if this is true?
I don't know what a performance intake is, I think maybe you mean short ram? Injen makes a good intake that lets you choose between short or cold air.

It is true that you can suck up water but you need to get into a really deep puddle.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

well, the short ram will suck in a lot of hot air around the engine...so the CAI will give you more of a power gain. As long as you stay away from flood-like conditions on the road, I would recommend the Injen.

You have a manual, right?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

injen can be used as short air ram or a cold air intake and it seemes to be a better system and it shouldn't void your warranty
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, never seen this many people reply so quickly.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:31 PM

Of course i have a manual, i wouldnt be caught dead in a automatic!! Here is the link for the one that im thinking about getting. http://www.intakeone.com/Mitsubishi_...t_InjenRD.html
I dont think its a short ram, sorry guys i am new to this.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Screw you, I have an auto!

yep, that is a CAI. It's a good design.

I would also point you to RRM's newly redesigned CAI for the RA. They've made it a one piece with a bigger filter. I've had an Injen intake before, and while it was a pretty solid design and made good power, their filters always bugged me. Just not up to par with a K&N.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...84#post1049184
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:43 PM

So do you guys think that would be a smart choice? I live in NJ, so we get rain but never like floods or anything, the main thing im worried about is the hydro lock. I have the money, so should i get the cold air or not?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:46 PM

Yea i saw the road/race one already. Ok so would you choose the injen or the road/race intake?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

get the Cold Air, definitely. You won't regret that choice.

I like the idea of a one piece intake. Less parts to connect means less chance of one of them falling off. Plus, you will get fantastic customer service from RRM. They're always on these forums anyways, looking to answer questions.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

They're both great intakes, though. Can't go wrong with either.

Your main concern is going to be the one-piece vs. two-piece. That, and the color of the intake pipe.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 08:52 PM

Cool thanks for your help! I'll probablly order it tomorow, i wasnt sure cause i never really heard of rrm and i have heard of injen. im going to be avoiding puddles from now on haha.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

RRM one is the one to go for simple and clean assembling. One piece is better because there less part to fit together which means less part you can mess up. Go RRM~

Quick Reply: Intakes