Notices

RE: Reducing Unsprung weight

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: Reducing Unsprung weight

I'm just wondering what kind of performance advantages I will see with the new rims I've boughten. I haven't installed them as of yet hence the reason i'm asking.

They're Super lightweight Ro_ja's. They're 17 inch rims and weigh in at only 14lbs each. Designed for track use.

Now, I'm not 100% sure what the stock wheels weigh but I would imagine they would be at least 16lbs each. Rubber extra of course.

So, my question is, presuming they Ro-Ja's are indeed 2lbs per corner lighter what difference would I feel. Better braking? Better acceleration? Nothing at all?

And would going from the 205 to the 215 rubber make the steering feel a little heavier as your basicly moving a larger surface?
Old May 3, 2005, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Better acceleration and handling. Bumps won't seem as harsh. You probably wouldn't notice any difference in steering.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I figured the steering would be a bit firmer because I remeber when I had my acura, which also had 205's, when I put my 195 winters on it made the steering feel very loose and then went back to normal when I threw the 205's back on.
Old May 3, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's more of a difference in tread pattern and compound than tire width.
Old May 3, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Guys have weighed stock rims and they're about 20 pounds each, maybe even a little more. You'll definately be saving a few pounds per wheel
Old May 3, 2005, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet! Thats always good news.

BTW...how do you like your tires EVOLITE....I will have the same ones on mine only 215's
Old May 3, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

the weight of your rims can make you go faster. i felt a big improvement when i change from my winter to my summer. my winter are the same size as my summer. lighter rims and better tires are one of the best mods.

Last edited by Red Dragon; May 3, 2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old May 3, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

As I understand it, by putting larger wheels on a car, you are pushing the weight out more to the outside, which actually needs more power to turn them. However, your wheels are lighter now, so my geuss is that you have prob balanced it out for the most part. I highly doubt you will feel any diffrence. Esspecially by saving only 2-6 lbs each. Throw 20lbs in the back seat, see if you feel any diffrence.
I am not trying to be a downer, and 17's look real nice on our cars, just telling you the trueth.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
removing 20lbs of curb weight as opposed to 20lbs of rotating weight is WAY different. why do you think people pay $500 for a flywheel that saves them 10 lbs of ratating mass? the wheels are part of the rotating system (the front ones at least). thats why its a big deal to save every lb you can. same with brakes. some big break kits are great for stopping, but have rotors that weight soooo damn much that they really hurt acceleration and torque considerably.

and yes, if you have a 15" light wheel and a 17" light wheel, the 17" will perform a bit worse. but if you ahve a 16" heavy wheel and a 17" light wheel, the 17" will more than offset. However, once you are under the 1lb/inch, it doesnt much matter because the tires weight about 1lb/inch, too and if you have a smaller rim, you need more rubber, and thats always at the edge of the system. the ro_jas are light enuf that they should be fine at any size.
Old May 3, 2005, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Daddymac: I haven't gotten the rims and tires yet, still waiting for them on backorder. However, I have read a lot of reviews on those Kumho's and they were all really good, especially for a tire cheaper than like Michelins or Toyos. My friend, who has a lowered and highly modified C class Benz has these tires on 18" rims and he likes them alot.
Old May 4, 2005, 05:51 AM

Read through this thread really quick. Remember that when you get bigger wheels you're putting more of the weight towards the outside. That means it's harder to torque the wheel. Even if you lose weight some of the benefits are negated from putting it further away from the center.
Old May 4, 2005, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I'll give her a good "go" when I get them on and i'll post my butt dyno findings. hehe

For the meantime though, I'll presume that they're will be more performance improvements then not. I'm not expecting a mirricle....but It COULD be noticable.
Old May 4, 2005, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

using lightweight wheels on the street will require you to practically dodge every uneven spot on the road.. otherwise you will be visiting the wheel doctor very soon

-joe
Old May 4, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Thats fine. I do that now...lol
Old May 4, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Light weight doesn't really mean a weak rim. More important than the weight of the rim is the sidewall hight of the tire. Some light weight rims are incredibly strong, while some heavy rims can easily crack.

Quick Reply: RE: Reducing Unsprung weight