No
14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

At lsd

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
ok, so he does work to the diff, and uses a different medium as a friction surface, this only solves one of the issues. His conversion is still applying pressure to the thrust washers. I've seen pictures of his work, while it appears to be a slightly better design, it doesn't seem to be worth the price tag. $350-400 I could see that, but at $600, you may as well shell out the extra $300 for a Quaife or Wavetrac...they have gone up in price it seems since china took over the economy, they used to be available for about $800.

I also know a few guys that run the phantom grip style conversion from RTM Racing, have had it for years, and make well over 400whp.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
"Thrust washers are eliminated... that's where the clutches go!" - Jeff

Last edited by truthdweller; May 16, 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

oh, ok...I get it now, while that is a major improvement, $600 is still a lot to spend on a diff that doesn't bias torque. I realize his price point is meeting in the middle of the two options, which is good for business, but what you're getting out of it performance-wise, is not in the middle. it's still just a conversion. $400-$450 and I would call it fair.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Mar 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

"Tell him the EP-LSD is unbiased, it will provide two wheel traction even in his slow car.... " - Jeff

Last edited by truthdweller; May 16, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

EP - " Engineered Performance"

"And by design, it IS torque biasing, infinately so. Its all based on torque input vs steering input vs available traction." - Jeff

Last edited by truthdweller; May 16, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

ok well, obviously the guy wants to talk up his product, I just don't think what he's offering is worth that much.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Agreed. If I'm paying 600 ill dish out a couple hundered more for a wavetrac or quaife. The point of a conversion is to be a cheap alternative. Regardless of how much you convert a diff its still a conversion. If I'm paying $500+ I better be getting a purpose built unit With a "break me I dare you" type warranty. Lol
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Time will tell who puts out the first grand...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Garrett, as a neutral party, what I see is one party, you, we're making inaccurate statements on a product, in which the manufacturer got the opportunity to correct you with factual information, where which you accepted and corrected yourself on said information. At the end you're only disagreement was on the price of the product, and then you made an accusatory comment, I guess to equal the playing field for his earlier comment towards you. Again, the only thing you seem to disagree with is the price...otherwise the products manufacturing process and history has to speak for itself. I'm not sure what your intent throughout the exchange was for this thread topic...???

Last edited by truthdweller; Mar 25, 2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

All I had to go on initially was basically the website with claims of superior quality and performance, some grainy images, and zero technical data. Give me some credit, I did some digging, and didn't really find any information about it. It's not like I came out swinging, I wanted to know more about it. I posted my findings, you cleared a few things, up, and now we know exactly what the product is. In fact, details of what exactly it is, how its made and the work required to achieve it could even be good for business, at first glimpse, it looked just like another phantom grip knock-off...I still think the price is a little inflated for what it is, and that won't change.

there are clutch types, there are torsen types, and there is automatic torque biasing.

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?di...iew&page_id=25

not sure what you mean by accusatory, if you mean that i disagree that the LSD in question will bias torque, then i appologise. It does in a sense bias torque, but not actively, and not by design, that all depends on the preload of the springs in relation to the torque applied.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Mar 25, 2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: additional comment below link
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

From what I see Engineered Performance does offer a solid product with a great design. The only downfall I can see in this is the price. For the price of this unit I could buy 3 of Ziggy's conversions maybe 2 if I count the cost of buying a used diff. And thats only if Ziggy's fails. Then again I could spend an extra $150 on top of the cost of EP's diff and buy myself a Quaife. Google "quaife QDH7BR" you'll find a few places that sell them for $741. Both Quaife and Wavetrac offer a lifetime warranty as well so regardless of what happens if its used for racing, or not they will rebuild them for free.

Im not downing this guys product at all it seems to have a superior design when compared to a basic conversion, however at the cost I would go for something else. And for you if you front the $300 and he gives you the $100 discount your still paying $800. In which case you could have just bought a quaife. Im all for new options for these cars but unless his price drops a bit it just doesnt really seem worth it.

Last edited by bakuro117; Mar 25, 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
From what I see Engineered Performance does offer a solid product with a great design. The only downfall I can see in this is the price. For the price of this unit I could buy 3 of Ziggy's conversions maybe 2 if I count the cost of buying a used diff. And thats only if Ziggy's fails. Then again I could spend an extra $150 on top of the cost of EP's diff and buy myself a Quaife. Google "quaife QDH7BR" you'll find a few places that sell them for $741. Both Quaife and Wavetrac offer a lifetime warranty as well so regardless of what happens if its used for racing, or not they will rebuild them for free.

Im not downing this guys product at all it seems to have a superior design when compared to a basic conversion, however at the cost I would go for something else. And for you if you front the $300 and he gives you the $100 discount your still paying $800. In which case you could have just bought a quaife. Im all for new options for these cars but unless his price drops a bit it just doesnt really seem worth it.
$800?

$599 (cost of LSD) - $300 (down for R&D) = $299 - $100 = $199 (owed at shipping)...

$300 + $199 = $499

If nobody comes forward to buy, then it's $599.
(1) buyer = $574
(2) " = $549
(3) " = $524
(4) " = $499

He can't guarantee the diff because he didn't make it, Mitsubishi did. He can "guarantee the LSD conversion functions as advertised. The unit is rebuildable, clutches and preload can be replaced, but they won't ever need to be. I have early units with 100k miles on them with no measurable wear on inspection" - Jeff

Last edited by truthdweller; May 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Jeff also said, "And if your stock unit is a POS, I'll tell you so."
Old Mar 29, 2014, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

i would say go for it, only if i would, but it's your money.

it makes me really want to test the RTM Racing conversion myself.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Oh I thought the 300 was a deposit for R&D and development seperate from the cost of your unit. If its part of your cost then that's not as bad.

Quick Reply: At lsd