Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Manual in the works

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuDa
true..i dont see mitsu putting an SST out soon..they dont deny it because they will lose sales.they're better off leaving people wishing and hoping.
Uh... it's coming with a SST dude..
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:48 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TruboPower
Uh... it's coming with a SST dude..
i ment man. my bad.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

I NEED to believe that this rumor is true... because I would really like to be driving the new RalliArt by the end of next year... but it won't happen if they keep forcing the SST on me. I like the rest of the car... but I will never buy an A/T car again. I can't wait to get rid of the Outlander for that very reason.

Then again, if they never decided to offer the Outlander with a M/T, don't you think they could f*** things up for the RalliArt too? What killed the 04' Sportback RalliArt if not a lack of M/T?

Anyway... all this is just speculation. Let's see how Mitsubishi handles things this time and if they can actually learn from their mistakes.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Uh... the outlander cvt and the TC-SST are WAYYYY differernt. Your not liking the RA because its got an "auto" is silly.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

You're putting words in my mouth here. I'm not comparing the Outlander and the RalliArt trannies... I'm just saying they should have given both a M/T. And my next car will be a manual. SST or conventional A/T just won't do. That's all I'm saying.

And yes, not having a M/T will hurt sales... and even if it's just 10% they lose, can Mitsubishi really afford to lose any???

Last edited by WoRkZ; Jul 19, 2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 12:26 PM

Maybe you want to give SST a try before reaching your conclusion Workz. Dismissing on something that you never used, is not a wise move if you ask me.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
You're putting words in my mouth here. I'm not comparing the Outlander and the RalliArt trannies... I'm just saying they should have given both a M/T. And my next car will be a manual. SST or conventional A/T just won't do. That's all I'm saying.

And yes, not having a M/T will hurt sales... and even if it's just 10% they lose, can Mitsubishi really afford to lose any???
Of course Mitsubishi can afford to lose manual sales -- about half or more of the 'lost' sales will buy an Evo X GSR, generally for somewhat more money, and I bet the rest of the serious buyers will get a Lancer GTS with the standard. By focussing on CVT and TC-SST they distinguish their brand from companies offering the old choice of standard manual or automatic (CVT being automatic, and TC-SST being a non-standard manual). Bet they end up with far more net sales for using mainly new technology, instead of century- and half-century-old solutions.

Many have already said this, but try the TC-SST before slagging it -- its just silly to criticize it without ever having driven one. It sounds like a good transmission to me, and clearly it sounds like a bad one to you, but neither of us have any grounds to judge it yet... assuming you haven't driven one, I know I haven't even seen an Evo X MR yet, and while I have a 2009 Lancer Ralliart on order, I'm not holding my breath -- hope the TC-SST turns out to be good, because I'm stuck with one either way.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aestival
...hope the TC-SST turns out to be good, because I'm stuck with one either way.
Good luck!

Me, I'll wait for people to buy the RalliArt... then decide what I wanna do once enough people have posted their feedback.

But your right... and as I said, I'll go over to the dealer to try both of the trannies (once both EVO models are actually available on the dealer's lot). Let's put it that way though: It sure can't hurt sales to offer the option. And as for me, I think I'd be willing to pay the same ammount for the RalliArt with the 6sp M/T instead of the A/T.

But I'm sure that choosing either one of the two will beat driving the Outlander with the normal 6sp A/T... even with the manual selection.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:30 PM
XRS
Evolving Member

Good luck!

Me, I'll wait for people to buy the RalliArt... then decide what I wanna do once enough people have posted their feedback.

But your right... and as I said, I'll go over to the dealer to try both of the trannies (once both EVO models are actually available on the dealer's lot). Let's put it that way though: It sure can't hurt sales to offer the option. And as for me, I think I'd be willing to pay the same ammount for the RalliArt with the 6sp M/T instead of the A/T.

But I'm sure that choosing either one of the two will beat driving the Outlander with the normal 6sp A/T... even with the manual selection.
I don't know about using the EVO MR SST as a test bed. It has different software programing and gearing which will allow it to shift and respond faster than the Ralliart will. It also has launch control and super sport mode which is most of the go with this tranny but is a no show with the Ralliart.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:24 PM

I'd wait for the RA's second year... the MS3 should be improved soon, and the rumor about a revised 09 WRX would mean that Mitsu might be forced to update, or at least tune up their RA faster than expected... Besides, cars in their 2nd gear get a bit of extre goods (GTS got a 2.4L upgrade, and it applies to most cars).

I wish it came with more stock horsepower, but seeing how the Evo engine responds to tuning, i'm confident that the RA will be just as tuner-friendly. I just want an MT because it would be able to take more punishment... I have NO intention on leaving an RA stock.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XRS
I don't know about using the EVO MR SST as a test bed. It has different software programing and gearing which will allow it to shift and respond faster than the Ralliart will. It also has launch control and super sport mode which is most of the go with this tranny but is a no show with the Ralliart.
The RalliArt will have the same programming, bar the most extreme tranny mode and the exotic electonic center diff and the likes. So I'm quite sure you'd get a fairly good feel for the SST if you left it in tarmac mode and went for a ride... as I intend to do. I'm not talking about reviewing the car, I only want to know first hand how the tranny feels like. Then I can torment aetival with my findings...

Last edited by WoRkZ; Jul 19, 2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

You won't ever use the SS mode on the street really. Hell everything I've read the reviewers don't even use it.. so your not missing that much.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:02 AM
XRS
Evolving Member

You won't ever use the SS mode on the street really. Hell everything I've read the reviewers don't even use it.. so your not missing that much.
Yeah but its nothing but praise when they do use it. It sounds like the engine management all change when in this mode.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:17 AM
Account Disabled

The RalliArt will have the same programming, bar the most extreme tranny mode and the exotic electonic center diff and the likes. So I'm quite sure you'd get a fairly good feel for the SST if you left it in tarmac mode and went for a ride... as I intend to do. I'm not talking about reviewing the car, I only want to know first hand how the tranny feels like. Then I can torment aetival with my findings...
It has the same ACD as the X. What's missing is S-AYC and the electronics that harmonizes S-AWC.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:18 AM
Account Disabled

I would if I go canyon carving.