Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car and Driver Comparo is out

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2008, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dboz
And all of them have 5-6 speed manuals. Technology has allowed FWD to be better but still less effective. The reason you feel the manual is old style is because most cars are auto and few learn to drive a stick.

not true.
not all of them

And technology is also allowing to bring in new transmissions that will eventually rule out manual shifters as well.

Manual shifters are old, Dboz.
That comment about manuals in pre-war eras is absolutely true.
there is doubt on that.

I know how to drive a stick very well, and i will say it too.
Just like Amby made a comment while back wondering how in the world can a manual shifter get boring?

it can get boring and it can get old.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

No because guys like you won't even take your cars to places like TTP when you live right there. There must not be any interest in tuning the RA. The 09 WRX has been out about 7 weeks and are already have Stage 2 level tunes done. The RA has been out a good 2 months and NO ONE has even been dynoed yet!!! MEMO, there ain't gonna be any aftermarket, if no one pushes for it. If you don't go to tune shops they aren't gonna be coming up with parts, tunes etc.

Are you afraid of what you'll find.
Well,

Look at what your comparing.
Stage 2 Subaru on a Boxer engine, which the engine has been around for awhile and already has dedicated team constantly working on it.
As well as Mitsu does for the Evolution.

Subaru vs brand new design R/A?

That's not being fair, nor is anyone having the patience to give ample time to the R/A to be checked out on it's mod capabilities.

R/A has a new tranny, although it's the same as the MR, yet it's different from it.
Vendors are just NOW getting them into their shops. And they know that there is some similarities and differences vs the X MR.
So it's gonna take time.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
It also has a small turbo that will limit the HP numbers. No the WRX does not have LSDs front and rear but clearly it doesn't need them.

Yes because it's handling is so incredible that it finished 4th out of 7 cars despite being the fastest in a straight line by a fair margin. It's not like the WRX is wowing anyone as even with the increast in power it isn't winning any head to head competitions.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by aestival
Go back a few decades and see how sure everyone was that front-wheel drive would never fly with the North American car-buying public. Thing is, there isn't just one monolithic group or car owners, and Mitsubishi must be reasonably confident that the TC-SST has a market. After all, there are always some people who are willing to give change a chance... there are plenty of cars out there already for the traditionalists and Luddites. The TC-SST is a gen-X/gen-Y transmission, while the old-style manual is very firmly a baby-boomer transmission (and a WWII-era transmission, and a depression-era transmission, and a roaring-twenties transmission, and a ...)

Before the traditionalists scream bloody murder for my daring to give the TC-SST a chance, I'm not claiming that change is always an improvement, but where's the harm in living a little?
The TC-SST is not a gen-X or gen-Y transmission, I'm gen-Y and I don't like it. Am I afraid of change? No, I just plain and simply don't like automatics. I don't care if you have paddle shifters, it's still an automatic.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

The stock WRX is less than 5 seconds 0-60....4.7. The clutch warranty is voided at birth?
What's so humorous about this is that Mitsubishi people are actually trying to play the warranty game. How many Evos have had their cluthes warrantied? There's also the huge debacle right now over the GTR and all the warranty claims over broken transmissions (which also happen to be the new and supposedly "better" style). I'm actually going to die laughing when the first round of blown TC-SST start trying to get warranty coverage (and we all know some people will blow the transmissions).
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chino ali
not true.
not all of them

And technology is also allowing to bring in new transmissions that will eventually rule out manual shifters as well.

Manual shifters are old, Dboz.
That comment about manuals in pre-war eras is absolutely true.
there is doubt on that.

I know how to drive a stick very well, and i will say it too.
Just like Amby made a comment while back wondering how in the world can a manual shifter get boring?

it can get boring and it can get old.
The manual transmission has been around for over 100 years, what makes you think it's going anywhere? Remember, most of the top sports cars in the world are still traditional stick shifts. Only someone who can't drive stick or hasn't driven it in a race situation would call them old. Maybe I'm just an old fart at a stunning 22 but at the track, a stick shift is anything but boring.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chino ali
Well,

Look at what your comparing.
Stage 2 Subaru on a Boxer engine, which the engine has been around for awhile and already has dedicated team constantly working on it.
As well as Mitsu does for the Evolution.

Subaru vs brand new design R/A?

That's not being fair, nor is anyone having the patience to give ample time to the R/A to be checked out on it's mod capabilities.

R/A has a new tranny, although it's the same as the MR, yet it's different from it.
Vendors are just NOW getting them into their shops. And they know that there is some similarities and differences vs the X MR.
So it's gonna take time.
The current WRX is also new to an extent, it doesn't use the same design as the older WRX and STI but essentially an LGT.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

The current WRX is also new to an extent, it doesn't use the same design as the older WRX and STI but essentially an LGT.
it uses the LGT engine
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
Yes because it's handling is so incredible that it finished 4th out of 7 cars despite being the fastest in a straight line by a fair margin. It's not like the WRX is wowing anyone as even with the increast in power it isn't winning any head to head competitions.
And yet in the R&T test it came in second for the skid pad numbers and first in the autocross. Those in last place shouldn't be pointing fingers. You and I both know the ranking are not based purely on numbers.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
it uses the LGT engine
With a different turbo.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

The manual transmission has been around for over 100 years, what makes you think it's going anywhere? Remember, most of the top sports cars in the world are still traditional stick shifts. Only someone who can't drive stick or hasn't driven it in a race situation would call them old. Maybe I'm just an old fart at a stunning 22 but at the track, a stick shift is anything but boring.
and there are top sports cars that are using the TC-SST, AMGs, DSG as well.
Here are a few examples of the performance cars using the TC-SST:

# Volkswagen group DSG / Audi S-Tronic (gearbox built by VW using twin-clutch modules from BorgWarner)
# Bugatti Veyron (built by Ricardo using BorgnWarner clutch)
# Ford Focus & Volvo S40 (by Getrag) (note: Getrag uses BorgWarner clutch)
# Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X (by Getrag)
# Nissan GT-R (by Getrag)
# BMW M-DCT (by Getrag)
# Porsche 911 (by ZF)
# Ferrari California (by Getrag)

here are a few that use AMG's

BMW SMG II (M3 E46)
Ferrari F1 (Maserati 4200GT)
Ferrari F1 (360 F1)
Ferrari F1 (Enzo)
Ferrari F1 (575M)
BMW SMG (M3 E36)
Aston Martin Vanquish
BMW SSG (3-series)
250ms (150ms for 1st to 2nd)
Alfa Selespeed (156 Selespeed)

I mean come on.
Let's not be narrow-minded of cars that are using this.
Chrysler and GETRAG had a disagreement about the TC-SST but the plan to getting them in cars is still very active.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Manual is not going away anytime soon, But alot of them are going to be replace with the new TC-SST.
BMW, Chrylser, AUDI, VW, Nissan are all talking about switching to TC systems.

The TC-SST system alone is the one they are speaking of switching to because that it's faster then the AMG's and much smoother.
The only issue that they are having is weight it brings in and the torque capabilites.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMBY... at first I thought you to be just a hardcore subie fan trying to stick up for them on a Mitsu form, but I actually think you just enjoy debating anything. keep going! its entertaining
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

So you want a modded car to compete with stock cars? Do you also like boxing matches where the stronger man has to tie one hand behind his back?
He said the RA tuned with 40+ hp would run with the other cars stock. And i simply stated it would put it over the other cars.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

No because guys like you won't even take your cars to places like TTP when you live right there. There must not be any interest in tuning the RA. The 09 WRX has been out about 7 weeks and are already have Stage 2 level tunes done. The RA has been out a good 2 months and NO ONE has even been dynoed yet!!! MEMO, there ain't gonna be any aftermarket, if no one pushes for it. If you don't go to tune shops they aren't gonna be coming up with parts, tunes etc.

Are you afraid of what you'll find.
Haha i've been in contact with TTP. But unfortunately I work 40 hours a week while completing a masters so I need my car during the week. And from what i've heard the RA isn't as plentiful as the WRX. Not to mention Cobb specializes in subaru therefore probably bought their own test vehicle.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Comparo is out