Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car and Driver Comparo is out

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
And yet those problems are ignored as soon as another car comes into the picture. People are so quick to point out the engine issues of the 2008/2009 WRX, which are being covered completely by warranty, yet they ignore the overheating issues, they ignore the gas pedals, they ignore the bad stock tunes, they ignore the oil leaks, etc. and start to declare Subaru inferior to Mitsubishi. There is no denying that Subaru has had and continues to have issues, but so has Mitsubishi. Moreover, I fail to see how these issues affect the reviews. I find it absolutely hilarious how in every review thread, the same topic (of blown motors) comes up. Does that make the Ralliart faster? Does it make it stop faster? Does it make it turn better? Does it suddenly fill you with excitement when you drive it? No, has no bearing whatsoever.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
And yet those problems are ignored as soon as another car comes into the picture. People are so quick to point out the engine issues of the 2008/2009 WRX, which are being covered completely by warranty, yet they ignore the overheating issues, they ignore the gas pedals, they ignore the bad stock tunes, they ignore the oil leaks, etc. and start to declare Subaru inferior to Mitsubishi. There is no denying that Subaru has had and continues to have issues, but so has Mitsubishi. Moreover, I fail to see how these issues affect the reviews. I find it absolutely hilarious how in every review thread, the same topic (of blown motors) comes up. Does that make the Ralliart faster? Does it make it stop faster? Does it make it turn better? Does it suddenly fill you with excitement when you drive it? No, has no bearing whatsoever.
The failed engines don't make the WRX inferior performance-wise but reliability/quality-wise definitely inferior. Something else to ponder is that the WRX engines that aren't failing. How are we to know they will last and take the abuse of modding? Maybe they are ticking time bombs that could fail at 20K miles or 50K miles without warning? Only time will tell but to me that's just too much risk IMO to buy a car that is quicker only from a drag launch (5-60 mph times are identical).
Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
The failed engines don't make the WRX inferior performance-wise but reliability/quality-wise definitely inferior. Something else to ponder is that the WRX engines that aren't failing. How are we to know they will last and take the abuse of modding? Maybe they are ticking time bombs that could fail at 20K miles or 50K miles without warning? Only time will tell but to me that's just too much risk IMO to buy a car that is quicker only from a drag launch (5-60 mph times are identical).
It's also quicker at higher speeds, quicker around a track and as, dboz pointed out, it's also faster in other, more real-world applicable ways (posts 263 and 265). Also, how do a few problem engines, that are being warrantied make the cars inferior. A few cars are affected, sure, but some Evos have clearly had issues as well. Are they catastrophic? For the most part no but what happens if that oil leaks leads to a blown turbo/motor in 30000 miles?
Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Personaly I don't really car which one is faster, as pointed above I bought mine on fun to drive factor (which to me it is) with the amenities that the WRX does not offer, NAV, Bluetooth,leather recaro Seats, and I actually WANTED a paddleshift transmission. So I was willing to pay the extra to have that feature(s)
Any amount of moding can make one faster than the other, so I didn't really car about 'factory' posted HP as much as the number crunchers out there.
As I said before they will all have there glitches (wrx/evo/RA/anycar) but that's why we have warranty! bigger moding aside of course.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Are they catastrophic? For the most part no but what happens if that oil leaks leads to a blown turbo/motor in 30000 miles?
Well seeing how it's a small leak I hardly think it will be major. I could bring up the Subaru turbo oil return line recall for 08's but really to me minor oil leaks aren't a bid deal compared to rod knock on a new engine.

Like C2Rally said the Ralliart also comes with equipment not available on a WRX so many people will be able to forgo that the WRX is faster 0-100 mph. When they are sitting behind superior seats looking at the road lit up with HID headlights, and listening to tunes off the Fosgate system with the 30G HD and NAV interface that 1 second shortcoming at high speeds becomes a pretty minor issue to 95% of the public.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well seeing how it's a small leak I hardly think it will be major. I could bring up the Subaru turbo oil return line recall for 08's but really to me minor oil leaks aren't a bid deal compared to rod knock on a new engine.

Like C2Rally said the Ralliart also comes with equipment not available on a WRX so many people will be able to forgo that the WRX is faster 0-100 mph. When they are sitting behind superior seats looking at the road lit up with HID headlights, and listening to tunes off the Fosgate system with the 30G HD and NAV interface that 1 second shortcoming at high speeds becomes a pretty minor issue to 95% of the public.
I know i said numbers sell cars but he's right. Features do play a very important role in car purchases.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

You're welcome to tell the various people I know who hate the Recaros that they're a superior seat. As for the rest, HIDs aren't expensive and some people (like me) don't care about the sound system. I'm sure some people won't like the apparently rough shifting, louder road noise and rougher ride, it boils down to personal preference.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

You're welcome to tell the various people I know who hate the Recaros that they're a superior seat. As for the rest, HIDs aren't expensive and some people (like me) don't care about the sound system. I'm sure some people won't like the apparently rough shifting, louder road noise and rougher ride, it boils down to personal preference.
I guess they'll buy a subaru then huh? If every one liked the same thing then it would be pretty boring road out there!
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Just because they don't like the Recaros doesn't mean they'll like the seats in the Subaru but the point was it's personal preference.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I'm a really big fan of the new wrx man, and Subaru as a company overall
They give the people what they want
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Well if you didn't care about any of those things you probably wouldn't be looking at a ra or a wrx..

The whole point of it is to get the best DD hands down and thats what the RA is. If you don't like the seats and hids or stereo then you could go buy a multitude of used cars that will fit your bland taste nicely.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

If you didn't care about what?
Again, the RA is not the best daily driver. It's not fuel efficient, it's not particularly luxurious, it's not cheap and it's rougher than you'd like for a pure A to B car (like pretty much every car in that list). If you just want a daily driver, save yourself thousands and buy a Civic. As for saying that if yuo don't want HIDs, Recarp seats or a stereo, you like bland cars, please, some of the best cars in the world lack all of those things.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

It is particularly lux, it is cheap, it's a sports car.. it rides like one..
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

It's not cheap by most standards, 30000$ isn't a cheap vehicle. It isn't luxurious either, it just has toys.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

If you didn't care about what?
Again, the RA is not the best daily driver. It's not fuel efficient, it's not particularly luxurious, it's not cheap and it's rougher than you'd like for a pure A to B car (like pretty much every car in that list). If you just want a daily driver, save yourself thousands and buy a Civic. As for saying that if yuo don't want HIDs, Recarp seats or a stereo, you like bland cars, please, some of the best cars in the world lack all of those things.
Thats funny, I spent 6 months researching potential DD's for my wants and needs before I bought the RA. This gives me the right to say so, unlike you, that to ME and many others who enjoy it, that it IS the best daily driver.

Last edited by drucea; Nov 30, 2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spell check ;)

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Comparo is out