Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car and Driver Comparo is out

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robevo, I have a nice post for you but don't want the points.

Another one bites the dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cjXSNxfJfI

and another.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hlight=Mono666

Last edited by dboz; Dec 15, 2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Dboz, aren't you on NASIOC as well? I swear I saw you say you were getting a WRX on there. We stock don't have a final tally on how many engines are going kaboom and what percentage of the population they represent.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

I have said it on here. Was heavily leaning that way, but this whole engine thing is not sounding good. Luckily I still have 4 months before I need to pull the trigger. Plenty of time to see how things fall out. If the RA would not get such crappy mileage, I think at this point, I would get one.

The one guy I know that got the 09 WRX just blew the rod bearing. He is not happy and has several complaints about other things with the car, such as a 60 MPH driveline hum or whine and he also has a compressor problem. He is an engineer so I am waiting for the final say on his motor. If he does not get a good explanation he is probably going to sell and go EVO X.

Last edited by dboz; Dec 15, 2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
I have said it on here. Was heavily leaning that way, but this whole engine thing is not sounding good. Luckily I still have 4 months before I need to pull the trigger. Plenty of time to see how things fall out. If the RA would not get such crappy mileage, I think at this point, I would get one.

The one guy I know that got the 09 WRX just blew the rod bearing. He is not happy and has several complaints about other things with the car, such as a 60 MPH driveline hum or whine and he also has a compressor problem. He is an engineer so I am waiting for the final say on his motor. If he does not get a good explanation he is probably going to sell and go EVO X.
The hum could be normal, these cars are inherently noisy. I get a butt load of noises now. I have a creak from the front windshield, a creak from the rear windshield, the tranny makes noise on occasion (mainly when it's cold), the engine burbles and the Whiteline front and rear sway bars like to squeak occasionally. It's just something you have to deal with on a car like this.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

I get it that time and wear creates noise. Just not the first 3k miles. Should still be tight and sound. I have 2 high maintenance cars in my garage. I don't need one for my DD.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

The drivetrain noise is just inherent to the car, it doesn't change much as time goes on.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
The hum could be normal, these cars are inherently noisy. I get a butt load of noises now. I have a creak from the front windshield, a creak from the rear windshield, the tranny makes noise on occasion (mainly when it's cold), the engine burbles and the Whiteline front and rear sway bars like to squeak occasionally. It's just something you have to deal with on a car like this.
sounds like you might want to upgrade and get a mitsu? Thats why I never bought the subie in the first place, I drove it and it's cheap feeling IMO.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

More on the '09 Subie engine concerns and/or failures:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1648372
Old Dec 16, 2008, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Dboz, aren't you on NASIOC as well? I swear I saw you say you were getting a WRX on there. We stock don't have a final tally on how many engines are going kaboom and what percentage of the population they represent.
Since they are only selling about 4 thousand cars a month, and it looks like at least 5-6 have problems that have posted on NASIOC, it may not be large, but we have no way of knowing for sure. I am certain that not all buyers are NASIOC members.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dboz
Robevo, I have a nice post for you but don't want the points.

Another one bites the dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cjXSNxfJfI

and another.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hlight=Mono666
I think it's time Subaru issues another recall as it's wrong to have customers shelling out over $30K ($25K US) for cars that obviously are affected by some sort of major defect even if it's only a small amount. The car will never be the same after the shop rips the engine out and installs a new one as shops only get paid for a certain time to do this work and mechanics have incentive to do it faster as they still get paid for the alloted time then they move on to the next job and get that done quicker. That's why it's not uncommon to have stuff like loose bolts and nuts because the mechanics don't get paid to go the extra mile.

Another reason I can't recommend Subaru is that the community absolutely sucks. A poor guy shells out over $35K for a new car, and it needs a new engine and he has to put up with people accusing him of photoshopping, lying, accusations of bagging on the car, and the best; "Don't worry it will be covered by warranty". To the guys saying this sort of thing is normal.................well it isn't. I've never in my 30+ years heard of so many failures of an engine that isn't even new. It's bad engineering/assembly and bad business that Subaru is still selling the cars.

IMO the reason Subaru hasn't issued a stop sell/recall is out of fear that bad press combined with the poor economy it will result in people staying away companies can't afford that when industry sales are as dismal as they currently are.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C2Rally
sounds like you might want to upgrade and get a mitsu? Thats why I never bought the subie in the first place, I drove it and it's cheap feeling IMO.
Yeah some upgrade, going to a heavier and slower car. I like my WRX just fine and I've already had a Mitsubishi, I know they have rattles too.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
I think it's time Subaru issues another recall as it's wrong to have customers shelling out over $30K ($25K US) for cars that obviously are affected by some sort of major defect even if it's only a small amount. The car will never be the same after the shop rips the engine out and installs a new one as shops only get paid for a certain time to do this work and mechanics have incentive to do it faster as they still get paid for the alloted time then they move on to the next job and get that done quicker. That's why it's not uncommon to have stuff like loose bolts and nuts because the mechanics don't get paid to go the extra mile.

Another reason I can't recommend Subaru is that the community absolutely sucks. A poor guy shells out over $35K for a new car, and it needs a new engine and he has to put up with people accusing him of photoshopping, lying, accusations of bagging on the car, and the best; "Don't worry it will be covered by warranty". To the guys saying this sort of thing is normal.................well it isn't. I've never in my 30+ years heard of so many failures of an engine that isn't even new. It's bad engineering/assembly and bad business that Subaru is still selling the cars.

IMO the reason Subaru hasn't issued a stop sell/recall is out of fear that bad press combined with the poor economy it will result in people staying away companies can't afford that when industry sales are as dismal as they currently are.
Newflash, the same is true of the Evo community. You're naive if you think people in the Evo/Mitsubishi community are any more understanding when it comes to criticism of their own car/faults of their own car. Just check through the threads where someone says they didn't like the Evo or that they want to buy something else. Inevitably someone calls the OP a homo.
Edit: Read my dyno thread and you'll see people doing everything you accuse the Subaru community of doing.

Last edited by ambystom01; Dec 16, 2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C2Rally
I agree. The WRX did seem cheap to me when i drove it.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Oddly enough that's the exact complaint leveled at the Ralliart. Goes to show you that it's personal opinion for the most part.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah some upgrade, going to a heavier and slower car. I like my WRX just fine and I've already had a Mitsubishi, I know they have rattles too.
Must resist making yo mama joke...

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Comparo is out