Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car and Driver Comparo is out

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hibby
After driving a MkV GTI, I still wonder why there aren't tons of them on the road. If you can live with 3 or 5 doors and no all-wheel drive, it's a sweet little car. If I wasn't dead-set on AWD, I'd probably get one.
I agree! I drove it and also loved it! I actually had this car on order (not stock on Blk) prior to getting the RA. The RA came in first and I fell for it!! Plus I wanted the AWD Bluetooth and NAV. No NAV or Bluetooth in Canadian GTI's. and the RA was only 3k more than the GTI here. I"m very happy with the decision regardless
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that R32 is a pretty sweet ride. They can be a little pricey though and heard they are in the shop a lot, not sure if that is true or not.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by boondoc
Ur welcome. the Zchip can also be used in conjunction with these mods to make even more powere . It seems though that from this recent post about the FQ-400 the TC-SST can't handle more than 331 LB-FT TQ. Thats good in a way so it can remain a good DD but bad because u can't make it a beast. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=384854
Where did that number come from? I can't find it in the link you posted but maybe I'm blind.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/01/m...g-with-405-hp/
Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

I was looking at the 30-50 performance numbers again. They were done with the car in top gear. That probably explains the horrible number by the RA. Can someone see what gear the car is NORMALLY in while accelerating at those MPH's? My guess is 4th at the most. So, it probably is not as bad in those ranges as the numbers suggest.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dboz
I was looking at the 30-50 performance numbers again. They were done with the car in top gear. That probably explains the horrible number by the RA. Can someone see what gear the car is NORMALLY in while accelerating at those MPH's? My guess is 4th at the most. So, it probably is not as bad in those ranges as the numbers suggest.
I think that test was done that way to really exploit and determine the level of turbo lag that each car has.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Lag or spool?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Lol, I ****ing knew it! People kept telling me "oh you're just a fanboy" or "we don't know the limits" but I (along with many others) put two and two together and got four. I'm sure someone will say "oh they haven't actually blown the tranny yet so who knows" but come on now, this isn't the first source to put the rating around the 350 ft-lbs mark. Just so people know, that's less than 300 WTQ.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Lol, I ****ing knew it! People kept telling me "oh you're just a fanboy" or "we don't know the limits" but I (along with many others) put two and two together and got four. I'm sure someone will say "oh they haven't actually blown the tranny yet so who knows" but come on now, this isn't the first source to put the rating around the 350 ft-lbs mark. Just so people know, that's less than 300 WTQ.
Hoaray for you! you win a cookie!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C2Rally
Hoaray for you! you win a cookie!
No I win the warm fuzzy feeling of being right.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder when upgraded clutch packs and what not for the transmission will become available....
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Probably not for a long time, if they're made at all. I can't see a lot of tuners being interested in cracking open the transmission, doing all the research and development, only to end up with a set of clutches that no one buys because they're "too expensive". Don't forget that at the moment, even Mitsubishi doesn't service the transmissions, they simply replace them.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Probably not for a long time, if they're made at all. I can't see a lot of tuners being interested in cracking open the transmission, doing all the research and development, only to end up with a set of clutches that no one buys because they're "too expensive". Don't forget that at the moment, even Mitsubishi doesn't service the transmissions, they simply replace them.
They'll be made. Because of the nature of this transmission, and how it shines on the track the need is definitely there. Xtremeboost has already taken interest.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry but Xtremeboost has also been promising a turbo kit for how long? Do you really think they have the resources (ie. hundreds of thousands of dollars) to make new clutch packs for a brand new transmission? As I said, I think the shear cost of the transmission coupled with the market that the car is aimed at will make the likeliness of upgrades unlikely.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry but Xtremeboost has also been promising a turbo kit for how long? Do you really think they have the resources (ie. hundreds of thousands of dollars) to make new clutch packs for a brand new transmission? As I said, I think the shear cost of the transmission coupled with the market that the car is aimed at will make the likeliness of upgrades unlikely.
I disagree.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Comparo is out