Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ralliart vs Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ralliart vs Evo X

This might be a personal preference question, but im asking myself this alot lately. Is it worth modifying the ralliart( big brakes, suspension,racing seats, new turbo, upper &lower intercooler piping, fuel rail, injectors, exhaust, wheels, ect) or just buying a used evo x since it has most of the upgrades already in a nice fun package. I'm have this delima because im deciding if to drop $5k in my ralliart or just put it down in a used evo x since there more affodable now. My purpose is having a good track car mostly time attack race style. I think i rather have the 5 speed instead of the tc-sst tranny, but any feedback would be helpful.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want a track car you would probably be happier with a used EVO X GSR. Probably get an 08 GSR used for the same price or under what you would pay for a new Ralliart.

Keith
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

buy a ralliart for a DD and maybe slightly mod it.
Dont make it a wannabe X, just more benificial to actually buy an X.
Better foundation to build upon.

And fourdoor, just curious. what is your RA running WHP-wise and drag strip times?
thats alot of mods for having it a week, lol.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
If you want a track car you would probably be happier with a used EVO X GSR. Probably get an 08 GSR used for the same price or under what you would pay for a new Ralliart.

Keith
what he said.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IdriveRA
buy a ralliart for a DD and maybe slightly mod it.
Dont make it a wannabe X, just more benificial to actually buy an X.
Better foundation to build upon.

And fourdoor, just curious. what is your RA running WHP-wise and drag strip times?
thats alot of mods for having it a week, lol.
I will be updating everyone Saturday night after I get back to the track

First time at the track (bone stock, had the car one day) I ran 14.1xx at 104.xx (full rundown posted in drag forum)

I will make some runs "as is" and then load in the GST base map for comparison purposes.

Keith
Old Oct 16, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by idrivera
buy a ralliart for a dd and maybe slightly mod it.
Dont make it a wannabe x, just more benificial to actually buy an x.
better foundation to build upon.
this.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by theirvin
I think i rather have the 5 speed instead of the tc-sst tranny, but any feedback would be helpful.
You answered it right there EVO's are sick track cars.... I know some people that said they where "too predictable" on the track so they sold em and got something that wasn't as "easy" to drive hahahahah

Ralliart's are really the best bang for the buck, I wanted a fun daily driver so I choose the Ralliart and couldn't be happier.

Last edited by Bo0yaka; Oct 16, 2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

As a daily driver, the Ralliart is far superior to the EVO GSR. The TC-SST makes it more flexible in terms of city driving; the interior is nicer; better fuel economy; cheaper cost of ownership. If you are buying a "sporty" yet economical daily driver, go with the Ralliart.

None of the things I mentioned above matter for a track car, and if you are strictly concerned with performance, buy the EVO.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
As a daily driver, the Ralliart is far superior to the EVO GSR. The TC-SST makes it more flexible in terms of city driving; the interior is nicer; better fuel economy; cheaper cost of ownership. If you are buying a "sporty" yet economical daily driver, go with the Ralliart.

None of the things I mentioned above matter for a track car, and if you are strictly concerned with performance, buy the EVO.
Interior is exactly the same. I have gotten 22.5 MPG in my GSR. Cheaper car, cheaper cost of ownership.....maybe? Brakes are cheaper. Tires are cheaper. Engine and tranny service still pricey. AWD system maintenance about the same costs also?! I really don't see the economy in a low 20 ish MPG daily driver. If all these items are a concern get the X. If you don't want to shift, get the MR or RA.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
Interior is exactly the same. I have gotten 22.5 MPG in my GSR. Cheaper car, cheaper cost of ownership.....maybe? Brakes are cheaper. Tires are cheaper. Engine and tranny service still pricey. AWD system maintenance about the same costs also?! I really don't see the economy in a low 20 ish MPG daily driver. If all these items are a concern get the X. If you don't want to shift, get the MR or RA.
Cost of ownership is significantly higher with the EVO. I can't speak for individual experiences with fuel economy, but generally speaking, less power with taller gears equals better fuel economy. The EVO's tires and brakes are significantly more expensive than the RA, as are the costs to insure and register the car.

For some reason, I thought the GSR didn't have some of the interior options that the RA does, but I guess I'm wrong about that.

Also, a couple of other sticking points: less trunk space on the EVO and it has a stiffer suspension/harsher ride.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Biggest difference from R/A to EVO X is suspension/twin scroll turbo/FMIC size/Tire and body width/wider stance. If you are going to be doing some time trials you will most definitely see a difference in how the car responds in the corners. The R/A is good but not up there with EVO X suspension set up. So with that being said Tein coil overs will help you along quickly as for the turbo an upgrade to the EVO X will fit up just fine and same with the FMIC set up. So with 5k to spend you just need to find an X that is getting some major upgrades and see if you cant get some 2nd hand (good CONDITION) parts. O and some tools to put it on with. The SST tranny has had some time trials run on it in Road and Track. The professional drivers said it shifted at the same time they would have shifted in and out of several different styles of turns under heavy breaking. Now dragging on the SST might not be a great idea. But really have no solid info that it cant stand up to it. As for the tires Tire Rack can always hook you up with some new shoes and treads. But the Body width and wider stance of the EVO X is some thing you will just have to do without unless you are a master fabricator with a minor in welding. There will be R/A's out there that are going to out perform an X but you better have some deeeeeeep pockets and a good tuner.

P.S. UMMM HEHE The X also have some upgraded brakes on them called BREMBO'S (maybe you have heard of them) they might make an absolutely huge difference on time trials to.

Last edited by show time; Oct 17, 2009 at 06:56 AM.