Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

upgrade the RA or just save up for an EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrade the RA or just save up for an EVO?

Well - I have some money coming my way.... right now I own the RA, and if I did upgrade to the EVO I'd want to go with the MR, not the GSR mainly because I prefer the automatic transmission. I do a lot of city driving and the manual would be a PITA.

It's tempting to do some hardcore saving and go with the EVO MR, but with it comes higher insurance etc, and I'd be using it as my DD so i'm not sure how practical it really is for that purpose. I also do a lot of long distance driving.

Then again I'm pretty happy with the Ralliart, I like everything about it, it just feels a little 'heavy' and 'bogged down' in hard cornering, so if I kept it I might just do some addons like buy forged rims which greatly improved the performance on my last car.

Anyone get really nice forged wheels for their RA, any improvement?.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

With a little money spent on wheels and suspension you could probably get a much better feel if that is all that is bothering you.

If you would be happy with a base MR I'd say save up for that, but if you just want something to mod I would stick with the RA simply because you could do a lot with the money you have and get the satisfaction of modding something. =)

-Taranis
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

i've got volk ce28n which are only 7.5 kgs per wheel - combined with the coilovers have really changed the handling of the ralliart.

as to whether you should upgrade or not, it's a hard choice and you'll have to weigh up the benefits vs increased cost.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Got to love this question.

It depends on what ur looking for. Some ppl may say "Well if you're goin to spend money to make it as fast as an Evo you might as well buy an Evo." But when it comes to Maintenance and owner cost you will really see the difference in the two cars. That was my decision making dilemma I could've easily gotten an Evo but i had to look past the monthly payment and focus on other things. The RA was the best option for me right now.

If you have money constanly coming in and you want ***** to the wall performance by all means get the MR but if you love the RA i say stick with it and mod it to you liking. Like billyboy said some coilovers, better tires and a flash you will fall in love all over again.

The Evo also devours tires and gulps down gas, lol.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

If you plan on heavily modding the car i would keep it. If you want the label of the evolution, then trade it in.

I guess it would be like trading in an 8 for a 9 for me. I chose not to go out and buy the same car just because it was the new better flavor. Yeah, the 9 had a better turbo, and Mivec but the costs associated with selling my 8, then buying and modding a 9 became very unreasonable to my pocketbook.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like you would max yourself out by stepping up to the MR. With that in mind, you would get the performance you are looking for, and with the lack of funds for modding, you wouldn't have to worry about voiding your warranty.
On the other hand, you stick with a car you already love and tailor it to your own desire. There is a certain joy in modding that comes from building you own unique ride.
If I were in your situation, I would stick with the RA. That way I could build on a great platform, and still handle the monthly payments if things got tight down the road...
Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

i thought the same thing. i have some serious money coming my way also. an im torn between paying the car off and saving the car payment or trading. i love my ralliart and have tons of ideas for it. but im a female car lover and i loves all types of cars. ive been thinking bout the honda civic si, hyundai genesis, evo mr and the wrx sti new one. but i think in the end i will probably keep my ralliart.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought about this same thing a lot... the biggest issue for me is I REALLY miss driving a manual, but it's not practical... or comfortable doing so in Seattle.

I decided to stick with the RA... and I've got a X turbo in the closet waiting to be installed... X power for under 2 grand. I'd say that's a pretty good compared to shelling out the extra money for a MR.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 06:26 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everyone has their itches, what's yours right now?
Wish it had better grip, lower ride, better suspension, brighter lights, etc?

Prob with X is the increased payments, insurance, gas, maintainence, etc. I too could've gotten an X but the RA gives me enough performance that I won't notice in the city or on the backcountry roads unless I drive like a complete lunatic. Plus I don't have to worry about trashing the RA driving it in mud, etc, throwing my snowboard and mtb's in it, etc.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

My theory is if you are able to buy a X you would of done it instead of buying a RA
Old Nov 25, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

I have many reasons why I went with the Ralliart over the X, some of which are:

- Hatchback
- I love modding

I'm working lots of OT at work right now to pay for my next 'stage':
- Intercooler + Piping (thinking AMS)
- Evo X or FP Red Turbo + everything required for the swap-over
- Header

Ralliart > Evo

-I still love the X
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:11 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by XxLaNcErGTSxX
My theory is if you are able to buy a X you would of done it instead of buying a RA
How could I have missed this, of course. The reason why we all bought the RA is because we're too poor and can't afford to be able to buy the Evo.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

lol

I think rotorglow summed up my views perfectly - love the hatch and modding
Old Nov 26, 2009, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

what company do you guys get your mod parts from?
Old Nov 26, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xdmitrix
what company do you guys get your mod parts from?

Most Raliart guys are getting there performance mods from
AMS, Ultimate Racing, Injen, CP-E, Bushur Racing, TTP, GST motorsports, Works, HKS
Theres more but these are just the most commone from what I have seen.
You should check out the Live mod thread

Funny because i got a call from a place called carsponsorship or something and they told me they had 32 companies waiting to sponser me for performance parts.I told her I drive a 2009 Lancer Ralliart and she said yes we have 32 performance sponsorships for your exact car. I just laughed and told the lady, look there arn't even that many companys making performance parts for my 2009 Raliart Good day ma'm lol

Quick Reply: upgrade the RA or just save up for an EVO?