Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is there a way to switch between e85 and 93 oct maps?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TEPHRAROM :bowdown: :bowdown:
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
Wow man, I have no clue how to get through to you but after this I'm done.

It doesn't matter what E % a fuel has be it 0 or 98%. You can ***** nilly mix what ever you like. English racing makes their own E85 here by casually mixing E98 with premium. No magic, just mix and fill. Just need to have a tune for the desired percentage +-10%. Well, 10% is a pretty large swing, +-5% would be nicer but its likely at the pump to have an error as large as 15%. Most places all claim E85, but each state has an E85/E70 fill schedule which of course the gas attendants have no clue about usually. On top of that, E85 is used less and often the Refill doesn't happen at switch date unless they have a mixer at the pump vs a separate ethanol blend tank.

The only thing to be concerned about is how far off from your base tune are you. If you are tuned to run 0% ethanol and put in E10, which is what use to happen in the northwest twice a year, it doesn't matter. The fuel system naturally compensates via the 02 sensor feed back.

If you are tuned for E85 and put in E70 winter blend, again like this state does twice a year, you will be OK. Personally, I have different tunes for the different blends but when switching over I just put in the new map and the small difference with mix of old and new fuel is compensated for after driving 20-30min.

Another thing to note, when you change the flash to the new fuel the fuel trims reset. So the adjustment period will need to occur regardless if you flushed the system or just filled up a nearly empty tank (fuel light on). I don't care how great your tune is, you will have +- 5% swing on the fuel trims. Fuel is inconsistent, so never assume you're stuff's perfect.

Ok, Im done trying to convince a guy with no experience on E85 about using it.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AntiBlitz
hows about instead of acting like an ignorant *** on the forums, you comprehend that there was only two sides to this thread before i spoke up, one side stating the generic now understood fact, that there is indeed a map. The other a man who does not have experience and asking the question(the OP). I was merely attempting to stimulate better answers for the op, which will help him understand, and be more comfortable with what he is about to perform to his car. But you put posts up like "its not magic" or the random post above which gives no vital information other then to down what i am trying to say or derive from you and others.

to attempt to move on........we DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT HAVE "E" ANYTHING IN MARYLAND, you cannot compare e70, e10, e whatever to 93. Who is to say that they have the same in texas..... I understand its gas but it is different fuel none the less. Doing some reading i saw that E85 can burn anywhere from 94octane to 110 octane according on who the manufacturer is of the product. That would be obviously higher then 93.....derp. Also doing some further reading on it, from other forums people were saying that it was safe to put the gas in over top of the other(93 on e85, and vice versa) as long as you, do it when she is near empty, and you do not perform WOT until its burned out. As someone stated in the nasioc forums when switching back from 93 to E85, it is imperative that you do not do any WOT or heavy boosting until you are for sure that the mixed gas has been depleted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrol

LOL!!! I am getting a laugh about all this. Im just trying to get the right information not trying to cause fights/ hate messages or anything. How do I get this Tephra mod? I want to be able to swap maps but in my area I'll most likely run majority of the time E-85. Ive read from several source that what Im trying to achieve is possible its that I need to know how to get ahold of this Tephra mod. Lead me to the right direction. Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tephramod

End Thread/

Last edited by sstevojr; Oct 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You'll need to get in touch with Tephra - use a large spotlight to shine an "X" symbol onto the clouds. Alternatively, email him at:

his_forum-name <at> gmail <dot> com

Send some money his way, and he should be able to put it together for you.

It'll be TephraXMod v1 you're after - "TephraMod v7" is for the older Evo ROMs.

Rich
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Let me know if you want me to chip in. I've been wanting Tephra for 09 for awhile but there didn't seem to be enough demand.

Anyway, this thread has gotten out of control. Hope the OP got the info he wanted.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

I would like anyone and everyone with a 2009 ralliart to chip in for this. I cant believe he skipped the 2009 and went straight to 2010. Even the 2008 Evo X has this mod. sstevoir thanks for picture but still there was no mod for 2009, never made. Look at post #20 for info about trying to get TephraXmod.

Last edited by Tiresomejunk; Oct 22, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:24 AM
Evolving Member

I have from the beginning once he(dallas) posted it was possible understood that fact......there wasnt any getting thru to me, i was only attempting to gain further knowledge of the fact prior to telling a man to do something(isnt this what forums are for?, to learn, from each other?).....its just sad i have to argue with someone to extract info from people(its like im at work again), the amount of beautiful info you posted is awesome, and i bow down to your exceptional E85 knowledge. You could have just posted something like that from the beginning so the guy will understand if he was to question it at a later date.

I hope you are now well informed tiresomejunk lol, i just didnt want you to be posting a thread a few months from now saying that you harmed the engine.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

I have heard of another method. Cheap laptop with multiple ROMs stored on it. Then just reflash it when you know you will need your alternate map. Also if the laptop is cheap enough you can store it and your flashing cable in your car for emergencies.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Wow man, I have no clue how to get through to you but after this I'm done.

It doesn't matter what E % a fuel has be it 0 or 98%. You can ***** nilly mix what ever you like. English racing makes their own E85 here by casually mixing E98 with premium. No magic, just mix and fill. Just need to have a tune for the desired percentage +-10%. Well, 10% is a pretty large swing, +-5% would be nicer but its likely at the pump to have an error as large as 15%. Most places all claim E85, but each state has an E85/E70 fill schedule which of course the gas attendants have no clue about usually. On top of that, E85 is used less and often the Refill doesn't happen at switch date unless they have a mixer at the pump vs a separate ethanol blend tank.

The only thing to be concerned about is how far off from your base tune are you. If you are tuned to run 0% ethanol and put in E10, which is what use to happen in the northwest twice a year, it doesn't matter. The fuel system naturally compensates via the 02 sensor feed back.

If you are tuned for E85 and put in E70 winter blend, again like this state does twice a year, you will be OK. Personally, I have different tunes for the different blends but when switching over I just put in the new map and the small difference with mix of old and new fuel is compensated for after driving 20-30min.

Another thing to note, when you change the flash to the new fuel the fuel trims reset. So the adjustment period will need to occur regardless if you flushed the system or just filled up a nearly empty tank (fuel light on). I don't care how great your tune is, you will have +- 5% swing on the fuel trims. Fuel is inconsistent, so never assume you're stuff's perfect.

Ok, Im done trying to convince a guy with no experience on E85 about using it.
+1 Ftw!, Dont talk about it if you dont know about it
Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

I'll just delete this and stop the amount of hurt on my eyes, this is silly and ridiculous, i apologize to the OP, for dirtying up your thread, i only wanted to help, but it seems that asking questions and having opinions is too much for some people. Hope you have been helped tiresome.

Last edited by AntiBlitz; Oct 23, 2011 at 04:06 AM. Reason: obvious reasons
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

I cant get ahold of tephra. He just skipped the 2009 ralliart with his mod altogether
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J

Another thing to note, when you change the flash to the new fuel the fuel trims reset.
They reset only on the 2006 Evo 9.

2003-2005 Evo 8 they do not reset on flash. 2008-2011 Evo 10 they do not reset on flash, 2009-2011 RA they do not reset on flash.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tiresomejunk
I cant get ahold of tephra. He just skipped the 2009 ralliart with his mod altogether
tiresome, did u try the Evoxforums. He may be on there more then here. The community is kinda split by the two large forums, unless you are apart of both.