Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Questions for RA owners

Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions for RA owners

Hey guys, just had a few questions for some RA owners here;
1. Are there any options that you would recommend getting from the factory.
A big preference for me is that I would like to get the MMCS navi system, but I'm not sure of the compatibility if I ever decided to put a sub and amp in. Can you do that with the navi unit?

2. Is it true that you'll probably have to replace the stock tires after about 10k miles?

3. How about ride comfort? I know "you don't buy these for comfort" But I currently drive an 09 es and have driven the x before. Just want to get a feel from owners who have had theirs for a while.

4. And then there's the be all to end all question. SST tranny. How do you guys like it? I commute about 60 miles a day 5 days a week and go on road trips fairly often. During my weekly commute I deal with quite a bit of traffic and would like to know about dependability with the SST in stop and go traffic. Also, one more question about the SST. I heard that they were going to be coming up with a new flash for it that would enable Super Sport mode in the RA so that you could use launch control like in the MR. Is there any truth to this?

I know these may be redundant questions but I would like to get some feedback from owners here who have had their RA for over a year. And again, my biggest question is on the MMCS navi unit. Thanks guys.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mshilto89
A big preference for me is that I would like to get the MMCS navi system, but I'm not sure of the compatibility if I ever decided to put a sub and amp in. Can you do that with the navi unit?
Yes, you can do that. It's possible to get the RF system WITH the MMCS on the same car from the factory. I don't think the MMCS has line outs built in. However, any competent car stereo shop will be able to to handle your request to utilize the stock head unit w/ aftermarket amps and subs.

If you like "vent visors", I recommend getting the OEM ones. Doesn't have to come with the car, you can order through eBay/your local dealer after you get the car. They're relatively inexpensive, and are aesthetically the best vent visors for our cars.

2. Is it true that you'll probably have to replace the stock tires after about 10k miles?
No, I got 21k miles on mine before I upgraded to larger rims/tires. If I was careful, I could have easily gotten 30k out of them.

3. How about ride comfort? I know "you don't buy these for comfort" But I currently drive an 09 es and have driven the x before. Just want to get a feel from owners who have had theirs for a while.
Ride comfort is on par with the Lancer GTS. Due to the tire profile (45 series tires) the ride is slightly more harsh than the ES, but the suspension is a touch squishier than an EvoX MR.

4. And then there's the be all to end all question. SST tranny. How do you guys like it? I commute about 60 miles a day 5 days a week and go on road trips fairly often. During my weekly commute I deal with quite a bit of traffic and would like to know about dependability with the SST in stop and go traffic. Also, one more question about the SST. I heard that they were going to be coming up with a new flash for it that would enable Super Sport mode in the RA so that you could use launch control like in the MR. Is there any truth to this?
I commute 50miles a day (round trip) 4 days a week (VPN on my 5th day ), and recently started car pooling so I only put my miles on every other week now. However, prior to this year, I did the commute every week. I've also did a Cali to FL and back to Cali road trip this past June. I like the transmission very much. I now have 31k miles on it. I changed my fluid at 30k miles which was the mileage after I finished the road trip, and "on schedule" for the "severe maintenance" schedule.

Just before I went on my road trip, I flashed the ROM over to one of the GST balance ** ROMs that contain modifications to the SST shift feel. Ever since then, the car has been even more of a pleasure to drive.

I know these may be redundant questions but I would like to get some feedback from owners here who have had their RA for over a year. And again, my biggest question is on the MMCS navi unit. Thanks guys.
I've had my car 2 years as of this month. It was stock for 3 months before I installed a boost pill and flashed over to the GST Basemap 2.0. I haven't had the MMCS in my RA. I did have the MMCS in the Lancer GTS I had prior to the RA though. In the Lancer GTS, I had the MMCS and the RF sound system. Both options are available in the RA as well. I ~really~ liked the MMCS in the GTS, and plan to install one of the new MMCS with the fancy bluetooth audio system in my RA.

Last edited by nunyas; Aug 17, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

I got 30 thousand miles out of my stock tires and yeah you can put subs in the car with the stock navi i have 2 memphis audio 12's and a 1000watt kenwood amp the tranny does good in traffic i love my car and everything about it
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:25 PM

You are able to have aftermarket subs and amp installed if you have the nav system. I have the full Rockford package with the nav system in my ralliart and the stock sub wasnt all the great so I upgraded to a 12" rockford sub and Rockford amp I had from my old car. You will just need to buy an adapter which any decent car audio store will have. Plus I am still able to control the punch level on my sub through the nav system.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:11 AM

I've seen plenty of people modify their amps and subs with the MMCS, but the factory Rockford Fosgate stereo sounds great IMO. It's well balanced and the subwoofer has enough kick for a normal person, and I'm an audiophile so it's a valid opinion. Just turn the "punch" level all the way up, and set the sound stage to "live". But if you're the kind of guy who likes to share his music with everyone everywhere he goes, even if it's against everyone else's will, you can add bigger subs. You might lose what precious little trunk space you have now though, but I almost bought an RA from someone who had installed 2 large 12" subs in the trunk.

The MMCS is great but the map pack is expensive, and my city has had an enormous amount of new highway changes and new residential areas. So I'm stuck with the maps from 2009 and it's ridiculously expensive to update them at the dealer, and slightly less ridiculous if you do it online. So hopefully your buying new and not used, or your city is not victim of an oil driven money boom. I can still use the maps most of the time. I just have to use my phone if I go into a new area or use the new highway.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:26 AM

The only thing you have to be careful about is the stock sub (if you are an audiophile) you would take the time and pull the sub out and if you are familiar with Rockford fosgate products you will see that the sub is low quality. If you buying new then should be fine, if your like me and bought used which the person before some how blew out the sub (which didn't suprise me when I examined it) then going aftermareket for a better sounding sub isn't a bad thing. Yes you can upgrade your system without as it was put sharing your music with everyone else. Nothing wrong with wanting a better sounding system.

Also you still have plenty of trunk space I put a 12" in mine and still have room for my golf clubs and what not.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:17 PM

I was told a 10" with a nice case sounds better than any 12", so size doesn't always matter.

I have the same problem with my RA, the subwoofer was shot when I got it. So I am saving my money to get a nice Alpine sub that has good reviews online, a 10", and I might do a custom casing for it. But I really wasn't displeased with the stock sub.

At least if you get the Rockford Fosgate stereo with amp and wiring, you'll start off by having nice speakers, and the sub is the only thing that would really make a welcome difference if you needed to change anything.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

it depends on how much power you have going to it, how big the box is, whether or not it's ported, and what you're looking for in sound quality. DO NOT let other people tell you what does or doesn't sound good. It's about YOUR ears, not theirs.

That said. While it's possible to build a "better sounding" system with a 10", it's impossible to build a system with a 10" sub that has the deep bass response of a system using a 12" sub when all things (excpet the size of the speaker) are equal. This is dictated by physics.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:58 AM

Sounds like u need to invest in the all mighty flux capacitor ! Jk lol