Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Possible Tranny issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Tranny issue?

Hello Everyone, I tried searching through all the SST pages but I can't figure out if my issue is the SST or not. A little info on the car, It is a 09 with 45,500mi. It has Full bolt on's and just recently tuned in November by AWD Motorsports in FL.

I drive the car about 40mi on the highway everyday, I usually never get on it hard and drive it pretty easy most of the time. Since yesterday morning the car cannot go past 4k rmp without the SST feeling like is slipping and bogging out. Today trying to get onto the highway it started to feel like it was slipping and I heard a loud bang then the car jolted like if it slammed into gear, after that it drove fine but not under a lot of boost. My question is though it seem obvious it has to be the SST but all of a sudden the car is running really rich and it idle's at about 16.7 and sometimes to the point where my AEM wont read the A/F mixture. The car at idle will start off at 16+ A/F ratio then drop to low 10's then jump off the scale of the gauge it won't stay consistent like it used to be at 14-15ish. I have no computer software to hookup and TBH wouldn't have a clue what to look for as far as tuning goes.

So my first question is, could this be possible SST failure or something with the tune?

My second is, is there anyone in the South Florida area with the right tools or equipment to re-flash me back to stock so I can try and warranty it if it does happen to be the SST? I would go back to AWD but their hard to get a hold of and honestly a good 1hr. drive away and I am not sure if the car will be able to travel that far. Plus working full time doesn't help my case, most places are closing or wont take me in when I am coming out.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It could be the SST, but I doubt it. It sounds like the SST responding to a different issue. I suggest taking it back to AWD, since it sounds like something they would be better equipped to address than a dealership.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah you were 100% right! The dealer is the last place I want to be headed lol.
Well a little update. Turned it on trying to move it into the garage and the Fiance ended up hearing a whistling noise from the engine bay so I decided to take another look, after a while and almost not finding anything it ended up being the vacuum hose which connects to the intake manifold had completely come off, I replaced it and it idles fine. Did a couple 1/2 throttle pulls and it seems to have been that
Old Jun 16, 2013, 01:12 AM

ahhhhhhhhh was it the one that goes to the fuel rail?
Cos if thats popped up during a run then its not good
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AusTweak
ahhhhhhhhh was it the one that goes to the fuel rail?
Cos if thats popped up during a run then its not good
Yeah that's the one, it didn't pop of mid run, car wouldn't get past 4k. As soon as any significant boost built up it would bog out and start acting strange. Car drove max 5miles total until I found out what it was.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 07:17 AM

The lunge and bang sounds like you overboosted, and that could've caused the hose to break loose. Were you flooring it when that happened or just happened when cruising?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlueGTS
The lunge and bang sounds like you overboosted, and that could've caused the hose to break loose. Were you flooring it when that happened or just happened when cruising?
No it was not floored maybe half throttle or a little less, it downshifted from 6th to 4th getting on a inclined off ramp thats when it all started. Thats when i felt the car just bog down and lose power. The bang was a couple hours later trying to get on the highway to get back home. But i know for a fact it didn't over boost my eye was all over the A/F and boost gauges trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I don't have my boost gauge reading vacuum now, probably will get to is soon after this whole mess.

Car has driven perfect ever since though thankfully!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That was the first thing I did to my car zip tie that vac hose. I'm at 93k no issues besides the noisy SST clutches
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:51 AM

My Boost gauge T'ee lost it's hose the day after I installed the boost pill and reflash. I was reading consistent 17 AFR at idle during the 1 city block it took me to pull over and hear the whistling.

Boost gauge and Wideband are the 2 gauges I recommend to help troubleshoot these types of occurrences.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

I could've swore it had a factory clamp though. I zip tied the hell out of it now, and yes I have to hook up my boost gauge correctly so I can read vacuum as well. I'm pretty sure I would've noticed right away if I had it like that from the begining.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
That was the first thing I did to my car zip tie that vac hose. I'm at 93k no issues besides the noisy SST clutches
I'm at 50k now and their noisy as hell too!