Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hood Dampers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 06:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by bulletsponge
I know this is an old old old thread and this is my first post but I wanted to throw this in:

I just ordered my bonnet struts off eBay, and they mount in the same location... a non-existent bolt bracketed and welded in the exact location as the OP... except ours is missing the bracket...

I will look at making the brackets myself before the struts arrive, if not I'll just end up having to sell a set of bonnet struts for the 2010 lancer somewhere...

2012 Lancer SE Sportback, (at least with mine) this type of bonnet strut is not compatible.
Hey, let me welcome you aboard & thanks for posting

The following users liked this post:
bulletsponge (Oct 5, 2017)
Old Oct 5, 2017, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking I fixed it... sort of...

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey, let me welcome you aboard & thanks for posting

Thanks Minus! Good to be here with you all.

**ive created a franken weanie fix for these hood dampers and I'll try to be as direct as I can with how I mounted them...
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Oct 5, 2017)
Old Oct 5, 2017, 04:04 PM

Talking I don't know if this helps you but here we go...

Originally Posted by Murdered Out
So! I order a set of $60 Hood Dampers (Struts) for my Hood to make it super cool... I got the set in the mail today! Looks awesome and comes with everything i need! I researched this process and it appears it wont take longer then 10min!
Now for everyone who has installed dampers on our hoods knows the easy and simple spots to install them... But it would appear my 2014 Ralliart is missing a step to my process...

Any thoughts or ideas? I don't want to drill a hole in the spot it should go because it wouldnt have very much support... It's really flimsy

Looks normal ish...

Top Mount...

Bottom Mount...

Umm what the hell?
Okay let me start by saying this is totally up to you by how to go about this and if you have a better idea then that's awesome man go for it...

I took a two foot long piece of 5/16" ready rod and cut two pieces off at 2.5" long to make the bolt shafts, then I stacked bearings around the bolt shafts until it was the exact height of what the braces would be at, then I used washers to make sure all the torque and pressure was distributed...

I then used double nuts torqued against each other on the bottoms of the bolts to act as a head to lock everything tight against the frame from underneath, insert the bolts first so all the bolting happens from above after and there's no fuss reaching around the frame, bolt them up and you should have two stainless units that support your hood dampers integrated into the frame and the sheet metal...

from bottom to top I built them like this:

Ready rod--->/nut/nut/washer/frame/4xbearings/sheet metal/kit bracket/kit washer/nut/ready rod---->

hope this helps guys... it worked for me but may not work for everyone...
Attached Thumbnails Hood Dampers-img_0142.jpg   Hood Dampers-img_0144.jpg   Hood Dampers-img_0145.jpg   Hood Dampers-img_0146.jpg  

Last edited by bulletsponge; Oct 5, 2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 04:34 PM

Driver side support and bonnet strut

Passenger side support and bonnet strut (note the hose that needs to be moved around the top where it brackets to the hood)