Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Engine Grenaded on Dyno

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look like a piece of a piston.
Hole #2 under my manifold
Look closely at the liqified metal on the gasket. Not part of the gasket.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegeta_Ra
Look like a piece of a piston.
Hole #2 under my manifold
Look closely at the liqified metal on the gasket. Not part of the gasket.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:01 AM

Watching.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I've been on this forum long enough (14 years!) to know when "vendors" make posts like RZA just did, they are usually guilty and/or covering up something.

It's a cycle I see again and again and again...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Pretty easy to see the car blew up while tuning it, you don't put a hole in a block at parking lot speed. As others said if the car had issues it should have never been put on a dyno. That said you get a car tuned and it launches a rod tuner is not liable to fix the car you sign a waiver for that. But the owner has every right to tell the world their exp. Thanks for the heads up OP!

Crap situation but unfortunately you sign a waiver prior to a dyno tune. At least anytime I've ever seen one performed on a vehicle in the last 15 years. A reputable shop would help out, a fly by night shop blows up a car or two and is gone in the blink of an eye. The internet is a hell of a thing. This community alone has put countless shops out of business over the years for shoddy work, shady business practices, theft, and general full of ****ness

All the best on getting a new engine in the car
Old Apr 3, 2017, 07:12 PM

I am not sure what RZA is "LMAO" at? Maybe the level of amateur of his shop and that people are actually paying him when he tricks them like a troll under a bridge by implying their car is making great power and ready to be picked up when it has in fact grenaded on his dyno.

He replied in his post with a rant that he would show the other side and only confirmed exactly what we stated. He implied that level of damage occurred during a backfire while parking the car in his parking lot. The only fact he is trying to get by is the car had a short going to the battery (clapping, great work). Who cares? He noticed a short on the battery during the installation of the turbo prior to his tuning which I am going to presume he fixed? He is also antagonizing people calling them to his subpar shop (old Mazdee's where Dave retired).

His response was very unprofessional and did not justify his actions in any way and has confirmed why a prospective hobbyist is forced to sell his destroyed car after RZA attempted to learn how to tune on it at Cody's expense. This is seriously sad and a shame that it is part of our hobby in this day and age. Unfortunately even with social media they are able to control reviews and prevent the innocent from becoming aware prior to entering their financial trap.

Please post the datalog so we are able to connect the damage occurred to your lean tuning conditions under max psi that causes such destructive detonation effectively turning a working engine into a grenade on your dyno.

Last edited by blownralliart; Apr 3, 2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
RZA looks like the verdict is in unless you produce that data log... Ahem 😧
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last edited by Isaque; Mar 5, 2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 09:24 PM

Cody's engine blew because the tune was an unfinished, incompetent piece of ****. He made tiny changes to small bits of the high octane timing and fuel maps, then cranked up the boost with the ugliest WGDC maps known to man (or woman.) Other than MAF scaling and disabling DTCs, nothing else was touched. The SST tables are all stock. The passive solenoid maps were zeroed out, and the reactive solenoid maps... well, see below. If this is how Reza tunes cars, he's lucky he's only blown a couple of engines so far. If you live in southern Ontario, don't let yours be next, especially if you have a car with an SST!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 06:46 AM

WOW. Owners response speaks for itself.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmmmm, I would say at best Reza can "tune" older or simpler engines but doesn't know an SST or twin clutch car is very very different and never should have guess worked his customers tune.

He'll never see a single cent out of me or anyone I come across, best of luck Dynotune Racing or whatever you change the name to; when people start realizing you're learning with their cars and money when they are paying for experience.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 06:50 PM

Holy ****ing Santa Claus ****....that WGDC map is beyond terrible.
And it sounds like none of the load boost or direct boost tables were touched...or anything else? Wtf..

It's looking pretty clear what killed the engine here.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Any Updates on the shop keeper blowing the engine? Who's paying for this?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 09:56 AM

Take that chump to court!