Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Engine Grenaded on Dyno

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Grenaded on Dyno

I have signed up to the forum in search of some knowledge and recommendations to help a good friend get out of a bad situation he has found himself in...

It is really unfortunate what happened to Cody’s car. Cody saved up for a long time and really did everything right from his end. He seeked the advice and services of a local specialty shop. Reza built confidence in the build and his services. Cody dropped the car off into Reza’s care and allowed him as much time as he required to a very simple bolt on and tune set up.

Reza sent Cody a dyno graph of the Ralliart making 390AWHP and invited him to pick up the car. Cody excitedly returned his rental car and arranged a ride to pick up his car. Reza collected payment and provided Cody the keys, then informed him the car was not starting and he believed it to be a battery issue but due to lack of time he would be unable to look over it for a few weeks. Cody was left with no other option but to pay for towing his car home and to self diagnose.

Upon initial inspection it was discovered the battery was performing as expected and the starting issues were a result of major engine damage including a hole blown through the intake manifold, metal particles embedded in the spark plug electrodes, and a large crack on the engine block. It is very likely upon further inspection it will be confirmed the pistons will be cracked with missing pieces the rings will be damaged, the cylinder walls will be scoured, the valves will be bent, the hot side turbine on the turbocharger will have damage, the crankshaft will be warped, ect.

I have done some online research and made a few phone calls to other local tuners that have confirmed my suspicions that DynoTune Racing may be a second tier shop with little knowledge of properly enhancing Mitsubishi’s. There is a post on his twitter page where a customer had paid Reza to tune his Evo 10 and only made 225AWHP which is surely not any more then a stock Evo X would make from the showroom floor. Reza had mentioned he was unsure if the damage happened while backing the car out of the shop to the parking lot or while on the dyno. The highly experienced engine builders contacted assured be this level of damage displayed surely happened while at peak boost at peak RPMs on the dynometer.

It is clear that a large detonation has taken place at the upper RPMs while under maximum boost, 26psi or 1.8 bar. The size of turbocharger was out of its efficiency range to supply this flow of air and was over heating the charge. The stock intercooler was unable to effectively dissipate this heat. The stock exhaust ports would have had trouble dumping the spent exhaust gases prolonging the combustion chamber to excessive temperatures. The combined factors taking place were sufficient to overcome the inadequate 94 octane rating of the fuel being tuned for. This caused the controlled burn of the mixture to develop into a violent explosion of the charge known as detonation. The stock injectors were well past the reliable 100% injector duty cycle range and the stock fuel pump would have had a difficult time maintaining adequate fuel pressure which would have leaned the fuel to air mixture ratio and leaned the mixture further adding heat as the unspent fuel was non existent and therefor unable to absorb and carry the heat out of the combustion chamber. The frontal of the detonation is led by a sonic wave which is highly destructive to the engine components. This would have caused breakage of the piston ringlands fount in the sparkplugs and damaged the turbo hot side. Such excessive pressures generated during the violent detonation that took place are transferred to the piston head down the connecting rod to the lower bearing damaging the runner then to the crankshaft bending it and cracking the block. The valves floated and blew a hole in the intake manifold during this heat soaked destruction of the engine.

Reza expectedly as most unreputable shops has decided to take the easy way out and wash his hands of the episode after collecting payment off Cody by not returning calls and blocking him from his facebook. The damages are in excess of $7000.00 and this is provided the transmission was not damaged during this ravish tuning session, which we have no way of knowing at this time as the tuner is not being forthcoming of the event details that have taking place. To reliably build the motor to regularly handle 390AWHP will be in excess of $10,000.00 plus taxes and install.

Unfortunately Cody is left without a family car at this time and without the funding to correct the mistake that has taken place.

This is really beyond Cody's knowledge/experience level and we are asking for any guidance on the best way to get out of this situation. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 06:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
First mistake was taking the car out of the shop without looking it over.

Really crappy what happened, good luck getting it delt with. I'm assuming you haven't contacted a lawyer yet since you are posting this on a public forum. That might be a good idea to do.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 06:59 PM

The shop owner implied everything was fine with the car and even sent the dyno. Once paid and the keys were released he informed there was a problem with starting. He really does not wanna get into lawyers, just get the car back running.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If he's lucky you guys will find a motor for 2k or less...that's the quickest way to get a running car. This dude sounds like he shouldn't touch evos...I also find 390hp out of of a stick ra turbo highly unlikely. As well as the fact the stock clutches start slipping at 325 I believe. He sent you guys a dyno from another car no doubt in my mind.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 08:50 PM

The car had a eve turbo installed and the tuner said he was tuning for 19 psi rating up to 26 psi at redline so as to not shock the auto trans in the Ralliart. I myself also find it hard to believe it put down those numbers. He was asked to provide the catalog and didn't respond. You are right with the amount of damage sustained I believe it will definitely be best to swap a used block, any ideas on the best place to obtain such?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would replace the whole motor not just the block...with an evo turbo I geuss it's more feasible to hit those numbers. But the trans, unless it's had new clutches, can't hold more than 325 or 350 tq I believe.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Im gonna go out on a long shot and say By looking at the OP's name, it looks like the OP is really CODY!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
Im gonna go out on a long shot and say By looking at the OP's name, it looks like the OP is really CODY!

^^^ ok but how is that relevant?

Considering the shop has blocked all communication lawyer is likely your/his only route.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 09:16 AM

I am not Cody. I have been trying to get Cody to chime in and post some pictures of the damage but he is a bit embarrassed of the situation. He is a member on here though and has been following the thread looking for suggestions. Hopefully he will comment soon and post the pictures.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:04 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm confused why you come on here asking what to do when you already know what a new or built motor is going to cost?

What exactly are you "asking for a friend"?

I still think "your friend" should talk to a lawyer.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:21 AM

Some guidance to finding a used block from a trustworthy source to avoid paying $7000.00 plus then finding out the source is shady like DynoTune Racing. Just trying to get some community involvement to prevent from repeating the same episode again. I am sure the forums collective knowledge is much grander then the advice I am able to lend Cody, as well I myself am not experienced with Evo/Ralliarts.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:23 AM

I noticed Reza posted a Evo that he had tuned on his twitter page. It made 225awhp which is less then stock! I guess this demonstrates his competence with the Evos.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by blownralliart
Some guidance to finding a used block from a trustworthy source to avoid paying $7000.00 plus then finding out the source is shady like DynoTune Racing. Just trying to get some community involvement to prevent from repeating the same episode again. I am sure the forums collective knowledge is much grander then the advice I am able to lend Cody, as well I myself am not experienced with Evo/Ralliarts.
Since a brand new OEM crate engine (long block, intake manifold, injectors, turbo, clutch, etc. Everything ready to bolt in) is less than $7,000. You can find them less than $7,000.

Daytona Mitsubishi sells brand new OEM crate engines for $5,300 plus shipping. They are also legitimate.

Most of the good used OEM complete engines go for around $3,500.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:23 PM

This is the damage so far. Until the engine comes out. Thank you for everyone's input. I will look into talking with a lawyer to see what they suggest.

Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:40 PM

Great to see you made it on here!
Keep us posted on damage to the turbo as you are able to get to it.
The last picture is of the piston ring? Were there two badly damaged?

Quick Reply: Engine Grenaded on Dyno