Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Was looking at a stereo upgrade, saw this:

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was looking at a stereo upgrade, saw this:

Nevermind the Android thingy. What are those sexy things to the right of it? That is the only picture they show up in, so that is all i got.
But... I was, apparently falsely, under the impression that we have an airbag over the glove compartment?
I cant even tell what the dial is supposed to be showing, but i want one. And the next one, and since all things comes in packs of three, i sure hope there is a third one, way out of picture. Of course i want that one to.

But, what the heck is that panel called, and, do we really not have anything under it, that would interfere?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Nice find!

I would want one too!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Pretty sure it's showing water temp. Seems redundant since our cars already have coolant temp gauges (coolant=water). The gauges are Defi Racer Series gauges. I've never seen the panel though. Most likely custom, as there is an airbag in that area. That panel blows off during an impact and the airbag comes out between that panel and the trim piece below it.
If you want / need three gauges, the best three to get would be afr, boost, and oil pressure. Another good one is oil temp.

Edit: Blitz made them for RHD evo X's. But afaik, no one ever made them for the LHD and Blitz doesn't seem to sell them anymore.

Last edited by stvn87903; Jul 17, 2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:54 AM

Actually, i just thought the panel was cool. It could show picture of someones grandkids, i'd still want one. As long as it's behind the shiny face, with the red indicator. Great match for our cars.
If it's a custom part, that sucks, and since the airbag does indeed seem to live under there, then that makes it even worse. Sort of suspect that having bunch of hardware that can tear up, or get sent flying by, the air bag, isn't beneficial for the passenger safety.

Are you sure it's Defi Racer Series tho? The start and end of the scale doesn't match up, as well as the digital readout, (93.4) which doesn't seem to be on the racer series at all?
I actually went and googled Defi, water temp, and while i did find a few with digital readout, i didn't find anything that matched the temperature range, where the scale starts and ends. I was thinking perhaps someone just bought two different gauges, and swapped the racer front over to achive the "right" look" on a different gauge, but...

Cool none the less.
And i think i'm getting a stereo closely related to the one in the picture. Depends a bit on the price and featureset they come up with by the end of august. The ones they got right now have "only" a quad core, and 16gB internal storage. I want the same one, with a octa core, and 32gB storage. But the cost... it depends on how the rest of the summer is. I need my ice-cream, and gas for the car. Damn everything expensive.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There are different generations of the Defi Racer series gauges. You can tell it's Defi because the logo is visible in the picture you provided and it has the very recognizable Defi bezel that all the Racer series gauges have.

I agree, it is a cool idea, and I wouldn't hesitate to do something like this in my own car, but I do not daily mine. I also almost never have passengers, especially on the track.
From what I read, the gauge pod assembly fits with minimal modifications to the stuff behind it, but the panel it replaces is one that is designed to blow out and up to allow the air bag under it to deploy correctly. Not sure how the added weight of the gauges (and wiring) will affect that.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 05:47 PM

I'm sure it's a Defi, and i think i can read water temp on the face, as well as the 93.4 making sense in that regard. I just can't find any pictures of "this" face gauge online.
But i went to their home page, and tried the "contacts" link, found out Tein's in UK is my closest official dealer, so if i want one, it would be there, and then i sent the Japan dealer a message, hoping they would be "in the know" so to speak.

Who knows. Doubt i'll actually end up with any. The ONLY reason to get some gauges would be if i found THAT panel, and could figure out a good way not to interfere with the airbag...

Edit
Also... My Google skills were with me tonight. I found images of the Blitz one. It does the same thing, but looks completely different. That one pretty much has to kill any airbag you have, with the housing going in it's place. Try as i might, i can't find this one, even on image, anywhere else.
/edit

Last edited by -=Mr B=-; Jul 17, 2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm going to guess this might be what you're looking for. It's not the exact same one in the picture but close

Old Jul 18, 2017, 02:51 AM

Nice find. I don't like this one as much as the other one tho. The one i found looks... factory. I mean original.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Pretty far reach to look at these gauges. Might as well put them on the passenger door.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 03:42 AM

Nobody ever said they were useful. Just that the panel was sexy.
After bugging the ebay reseller of the stereo it turns out the car is actually a colleague to the guy responding to the questions, and it may be possible to find out where it came from. I expect, from the language used, that i'm talking to someone in Asia, and the panel might have been sourced locally... Anyway, if i find out more, i'll drop it here.
Honestly i just like the look, i don't really need gauges for anything, so i probably wont get one, but it's STILL nice looking.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by -=Mr B=-
I need my ice-cream, and gas for the car.
As stated, your money would be much better spent on ice cream and gas than on some silly Passenger Side gauges in my opinion.....
Old Jul 19, 2017, 02:45 AM

Looks is everything. (my ride is stock, it's just happy banter)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 03:46 PM

Got sent these images from the "coworker" who supposedly owns the car the first image is from...
The quality of the panel here looks... worse. I'd go as far as to say, it's not the same, and that this new set, is something botched together, just cause i asked for the info on the first one.

Anyway, i got quoted USD150 for ones like this, plus shipping. and, i'm not buying.
I said thanks, and told them that i was looking forward to the "new version" of the stereo that will be out late in august, but that was about it.
Attached Thumbnails Was looking at a stereo upgrade, saw this:-p70720-174951.jpg   Was looking at a stereo upgrade, saw this:-p70720-174917.jpg   Was looking at a stereo upgrade, saw this:-p70720-174906.jpg