Notices

My brain is starting to hurt...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brain is starting to hurt...

I'm looking for new wheels and tires for my 09 RA, and I thought I'd take a look in that sticky "2009 Lancer Ralliart Wheels/Tires Fitment" and maybe I'm just dumb... But it confused me.. Lol, I'm not very good with cars so forgive me but help would be appreciated.
For instance:

18x9.5 +28 will = front will poke out about 1 3/4" and rears will poke little less then 1 3/4"
Inner Clearance: 14mm LESS Outer Face Position: 26mm MORE
Tires: 235/40 18 rubbing with stock height
***When Lowered [WILL RUB everywhere even when your stock heigh] SO ROLL THE ALL FENDERS!!!!!!***
***This fitment is VERY AGGRESSIVE, NEED TO rolling and flare out the rear fenders FOR SURE***

What is 18x9.5 +28, I'm assuming size but what is the +28? Also, what does "Inner Clearance: 14mm LESS Outer Face Position: 26mm MORE" mean? And what is 235/40 18 rubbing with stock height mean? And what is rolling the fenders? And what is a VERY AGGRESSIVE fitment? And is flaring the same thing as rolling?! Once again, I apologize for the stupidity.. Thanks for any help given, much love.

-Sph1nx
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

18x 9.5 = 18inch diameter wheel with 9.5 width
+28 = +28mm Offset

Inner/Outer Clearance is the comparison with your OEM wheels
235/40/18 is the tire size..
usual on the Ralliart/Lancer, we use size from
215/45/18
225/45/18
225/40/18
235/40/18
245/40/18

Roll fender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDTK9IjKIYU
**but you can do in a less risky manner =P

Very aggressive fitment = flush with the fender = almost poking out..

finally Flaring is like rolling but taking to another level... (like pulling the fender wider to fit wider tires/wheels)
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:04 AM
Account Disabled

18x9.5 + 28 is wayyyy to wide for our cars body. You would have to pull and flare like crazy and it would look silly imo.

if you want to go wide, go 18x9 + 38. you will need to roll the back for sure, and depending on the tire size, maybe the fronts as well.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you just want to get started you can go for some used EVO X GSR Wheels, look in the EVO X Private Sale section here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...els-tires-273/

Here is a thread about the EVO X GSR Wheels on an RA:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-ralliart.html

Good luck.

Last edited by robertg; Sep 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

billyboy has those exact specs on his RA.. he needed to roll and pull the fenders by about 10mm and run neg camber.. looks awesome though
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

^ what he said

go aggressive or go home haha

i am on 18x9.5 +28 right now as well... and imma selling my 19x9.5 +30 if you interested
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:44 AM

I appreciate all the help, the only question I have left is, what is offset? Also, if I want to buy wheels with the tires, is there anything I should know? Oh, and are the Evo tires the same as the RA tires? Thanks again everyone, yall are the best
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sph1nx
I appreciate all the help, the only question I have left is, what is offset? Also, if I want to buy wheels with the tires, is there anything I should know? Oh, and are the Evo tires the same as the RA tires? Thanks again everyone, yall are the best
have you ever heard of www.google.com

well let me help you

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wheel+offset

also no evo tires are much bigger than ra tires. i believe the ra tires are 215 45 18.

also someone already posted an image depicting what offset is.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:22 AM

Fender rolling FYI

FYI

For anybody rolling the fenders on the Ralliart be prepared for a little mess. I just got my fenders rolled last weekend and chipped paint was everywhere. On the rear fenders, Mitsubishi has a painted rubber liner spanning the whole fender, when you heat it and start rolling, the rubber detaches and leaves exposed metal.

Fix:

I used rustoleum car paint, clear coat and 3M double sided trim tape. I painted 3 coats of paint, 2 clear coats then put on the 3M trim tape. After that I did 3 more coats of paint 1 thin clear coat and a thick clear coat....For the inside of the wheel well I used 3M rubberized under coating. I went with the 3M under coating because it expands quite a bit after using, thus filling up the rolled inside part of the rolled fender.

The results are a 100% factory look.

In retrospect I would have probably just cut the fenders like Roadrace does but oh well.

I did all of this to fit some 18'' 8.5 +35s...

Hopefully they fit!!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Deathsythe
FYI

For anybody rolling the fenders on the Ralliart be prepared for a little mess. I just got my fenders rolled last weekend and chipped paint was everywhere. On the rear fenders, Mitsubishi has a painted rubber liner spanning the whole fender, when you heat it and start rolling, the rubber detaches and leaves exposed metal.

Fix:

I used rustoleum car paint, clear coat and 3M double sided trim tape. I painted 3 coats of paint, 2 clear coats then put on the 3M trim tape. After that I did 3 more coats of paint 1 thin clear coat and a thick clear coat....For the inside of the wheel well I used 3M rubberized under coating. I went with the 3M under coating because it expands quite a bit after using, thus filling up the rolled inside part of the rolled fender.

In retrospect I would have probably just cut the fenders like Roadrace does but oh well.

Hopefully they fit!!
if you roll and pull correctly you will not have this problem... slow roll is the way to do it...

i rolled and pulled my rear about 10mm... no paint chip or crack... or the inside rubber seal being smashed and peeling off.. heat evenly and slow roll.....

now... cutting fender is ok too... but if you dont reinforce the fender it will fail one day by some one stupid and set there butt on the fender.... so dittos..
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deathsythe
FYI

Fix:

Hopefully they fit!!

fenders were rolled incorrectly.

had my fenders rolled by a guy off craigslist in san antonio he charged me 75 and rolled both rear fenders to fit 18x8 +35mm with 225 45 18 tires. no paint cracks or chips or anything very nice and clean roll.

he took a lot of time to heat up the fender, after prepping the fender with painters tape to protect the paint, then he slowly and i mean SLOWLY rolled the fender and did it a little at a time, overall i think he did 4-5 passes through each fender to get it rolled where it needed to be.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:23 AM

Yeah, Thanks for the input guys. The guy that did mine said that the fender wouldn't retain heat while rolling. The fenders paint was fine but the rubber liner instantly cracked and feel off even wile moving slowly.

lancer0220, how much did you roll the fenders to get the wheels to fit? Any pictures? I really only had the tops and back rolled a lot while it tapers off toward the front (near rear pass side door)