Notices

Coilover recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mad_SB
KW is not really 3x the BC's. I just ordered a set of BC RAM's 8k/8k and the shipped price was right around 1250. I got a quote from GTWorx on the KW V2's for 1699. The Cheapest I could find the BC BR's was 999 shipped.
I had a higher price quoted to me for V2's. I was exaggerating. I thought that the V2's were somewhere around $2000 and the BC's were like $999. That makes them 2x as expensive. But be that as it may, I am still going with BC's.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by newmitsuowner
what are coilovers?
There are 2 things that you could be:

1). If you really are a dead on novice, you have a lot of research to do. I have been modifying cars for 6 or 7 years now (I know, NOGAF). I remember a time when I knew almost nothing, too. I started out by reading everything that I could get my hands on. I didn't touch my car until I knew what I was doing. However, don't expect people on here to hold your hand through it. If you don't even know what coilovers are, don't buy them. You will see options like 2 and 4-way adjustable and have no clue what any of that means or why you do or do not need it. I would say use the Search feature, but you really need to start browsing the interwebz. There is a lot of information out there. I have provided a lot of good stuff in the thread in my Signature. Read that.

2). If you are a troll, which I have a sneaking suspicion that you are, please leave. I am not sure why you would bother with the Ralliart section. Mad_SB, I would make sure that his IP doesn't match Westbound or SecondChance. If they do, PERMABAN!

I didn't mean to come off as a dick. There are just a lot of trolls that frequent this site, now a days. I'm not sure what it is.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newmitsuowner
what are coilovers?
google is your new best friend
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
I had a higher price quoted to me for V2's. I was exaggerating. I thought that the V2's were somewhere around $2000 and the BC's were like $999. That makes them 2x as expensive. But be that as it may, I am still going with BC's.
I hear you man. Like I said, i just ordered a set of BC RAM's (the inverted ones) should be shipped out early next week.

I Had V3's on my VIII and I loved every minute of them. Bu the fact that the V2's cannot accept custom rates was a major turn off for me.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

The reason I am considering coilovers regardless of price is because I'm not keen on waiting for someone to make a set of adjustable shocks for our car. While having just lowering springs is very cost effective, yes it does hamper the overall ride quality and handling a bit since they're still on the stock shocks/struts. With coilovers, I have many options as to what I want in my ride quality and handling, what height I want it at, etc. I do like spirited backroad driving as well. If I'm going to do some modding with the power of this car, might as well have a suspension setup that can keep up with it as well. I'm willing to spend the $1K+ for a nice set of coilovers, but I just won't be getting anything made for the racetrack.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:52 AM
Former Sponsor

There are multiple coilovers out there and recently I have gotten the change to review them after abusive testing. There are kits I love, kits I like and kits I want nothing to do with. The one kit I am in love with is the hsd coilovers. Simply the most durable kit out there today. That said tein is great so long as you understand the limitations of each kit type. The basic are just that basic. But perform well and for a long time if used correctly. KW has a high cost but ur getting what you pay for. A good kit with street cred. And proven.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:57 AM

i have some Tein flex for my SB with edfc im putting on this weekend ill let ya know how they do
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BravoZero
The reason I am considering coilovers regardless of price is because I'm not keen on waiting for someone to make a set of adjustable shocks for our car. While having just lowering springs is very cost effective, yes it does hamper the overall ride quality and handling a bit since they're still on the stock shocks/struts. With coilovers, I have many options as to what I want in my ride quality and handling, what height I want it at, etc. I do like spirited backroad driving as well. If I'm going to do some modding with the power of this car, might as well have a suspension setup that can keep up with it as well. I'm willing to spend the $1K+ for a nice set of coilovers, but I just won't be getting anything made for the racetrack.
Yeah, I have some good info to post from one of the engineers at hotbits but Have not gotten around to formatting and cleaning it up.

The main factors in my decision were:
1. Lower the ride Height
2. Dial in a proper amount of negative camber to help reduce the push
3. Up the rear spring rates to further reduce the push

I figured I could spend 500 - 600 on springs, camber correction kits, and bars or spend 1,000 - 1,300 on a decent set of coils.

One thing I found very interesting about the hotbits info was the discussion of spring rates. The rates they quotes me seemed very low and when I asked if he could expand on the reasoning behind the spring rate choice the paraphrased answer was:

Japanese and Chinese coilovers (and sports cars in general) tend to be over sprung and under dammped. Where as the European approach is just the opposite, they tend be sprung MUCH lighter and control body motion via uprated dampers. Also, many of the Euro brands are TUV approved, something that cannot be said for most of the Japanese and Chinese brands.

A little bit on TUV approval:
TUV certification involves rigorous testing of the applications for which the component is designed. It includes verification that the device satisfies the strictest European regulations for the industry in which the component was designed for and ensures the component specifications are stated correctly. Periodic retesting of the component is required to maintain TUV approval and the certification is without question the most comprehensive testing any product would undergo.

Unfortunately, I had already ordered the BC's when I spoke with the guy from hotbits... If the BC's turn out to be too harsh I'll be going with HotBits, the price is not too much higher than the KW V2's and they will work with you to select your spring rates.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I have some good info to post from one of the engineers at hotbits but Have not gotten around to formatting and cleaning it up.

1. Lower the ride Height

I figured I could spend 500 - 600 on springs, camber correction kits, and bars or spend 1,000 - 1,300 on a decent set of coils.

One thing I found very interesting about the hotbits info was the discussion of spring rates. The rates they quotes me seemed very low and when I asked if he could expand on the reasoning behind the spring rate choice the paraphrased answer was:

Japanese and Chinese coilovers (and sports cars in general) tend to be over sprung and under dammped. Where as the European approach is just the opposite, they tend be sprung MUCH lighter and control body motion via uprated dampers. Also, many of the Euro brands are TUV approved, something that cannot be said for most of the Japanese and Chinese brands.

TUV certification involves rigorous testing of the applications for which the component is designed. It includes verification that the device satisfies the strictest European regulations for the industry in which the component was designed for and ensures the component specifications are stated correctly. Periodic retesting of the component is required to maintain TUV approval and the certification is without question the most comprehensive testing any product would undergo.

Unfortunately, I had already ordered the BC's when I spoke with the guy from hotbits... If the BC's turn out to be too harsh I'll be going with HotBits, the price is not too much higher than the KW V2's and they will work with you to select your spring rates.
Awesome info, thank you Mad SB. I'm not planning on buying anything right this second but I do want to get something probably in the next couple of months. I want to be sure whatever I get is going to be worth what I pay for them.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Japanese and Chinese coilovers (and sports cars in general) tend to be over sprung and under dammped. Where as the European approach is just the opposite, they tend be sprung MUCH lighter and control body motion via uprated dampers.
+10000

Even just from feel, the European (specifically BMW & Audi) approach is soft springs, slightly over damped but stiffer bars (versus the high spring rates, small bars and wimpy damping of Japanese-designed items). Magazines and shows explain it away as being due to the glass-smooth asian roads compared to the varied surfaces in Europe.

Also, many of the Euro brands are TUV approved, something that cannot be said for most of the Japanese and Chinese brands.

Meh, TUV cert is a European thing anyways, and not a selling "feature" of non-European items, IMO. It's like an ISO cert, it only means what you want it to mean (the irony of my statement is that I am a provisional auditor for the ISO14001:2004 standard hahahaha)...a TUV cert'd FK suspension is still crappier in quality and engineering (in terms of ride and handling) compared to a non-TUV cert'd set from Japan.

More succinctly, a TUV cert is equivalent to a DOT cert. A lot of products cannot get TUV cert because they are "off-road use only", like a test pipe, and that is not necessarily a reflection of quality.

That being said, at least in my experience, I prefer the softer sprung approach (my FK's did not follow the European mold as it were, as they were incredibly stiffly sprung and slightly underdamped).

Last edited by majinfajita; Mar 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Tein Basics will do the job if you looking for show. Good reputation and quality.

BC I have mixed feelings about in terms of failure %. but I will say this, they do have a handle on the warranty process.

KW has pretty good levels of quality.

not low enough... tein fail
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

KW Does not make the clubsport for the ralliart, according to them two days ago:

Code:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Subject: RE: 15265019 - KW Coilover Kit V2 Mitsubishi Lancer CY0
To: Bruce Herring <xxxxxx>

Hello Bruce, right now, we only have a V2 for that application. I looked on my list of cars they are doing in Germany, I don’t see a clubsport, but that list is a couple months old, it could be in their thoughts. Only time will tell.

Yes, then you could change spring rates. Glad to hear you are a happy customer!

Dallas Brandt
I'm in process of gathering all the info I can from all the coilover manufacturers I can to create a sticky of coilover options
either your contact dont know what they have or.... you got some bad info... i spoke with KW at SEMA and here is a line from turner shop

http://www.tunershop.com/Suspensions...h26_m7235.html
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

1. Lower the ride Height

1+
Well said

Just a side note, Korean Made HSD Coilovers have TUV approval

Originally Posted by majinfajita
+10000

Even just from feel, the European (specifically BMW & Audi) approach is soft springs, slightly over damped but stiffer bars (versus the high spring rates, small bars and wimpy damping of Japanese-designed items). Magazines and shows explain it away as being due to the glass-smooth asian roads compared to the varied surfaces in Europe.

Meh, TUV cert is a European thing anyways, and not a selling "feature" of non-European items, IMO. It's like an ISO cert, it only means what you want it to mean (the irony of my statement is that I am a provisional auditor for the ISO14001:2004 standard hahahaha)...a TUV cert'd FK suspension is still crappier in quality and engineering (in terms of ride and handling) compared to a non-TUV cert'd set from Japan.

More succinctly, a TUV cert is equivalent to a DOT cert. A lot of products cannot get TUV cert because they are "off-road use only", like a test pipe, and that is not necessarily a reflection of quality.

That being said, at least in my experience, I prefer the softer sprung approach (my FK's did not follow the European mold as it were, as they were incredibly stiffly sprung and slightly underdamped).
While its true that there are some TUV approved coils that suffer in terms of ride and handling based on some peoples expectations. But I am willing to bet that on average they generally perform better than coils that are non TUV. And there are many many more coils that exist out there that are NON TUV approved and are not good and fall short.

My two cents

Last edited by evo_soul; Mar 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

heres a another

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...oducts_id=2226
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

I just gagged in those prices
Not really priced for the "individual consumer", those are more pro set-up prices, but the idea is noted

Quick Reply: Coilover recommendations