Notices

Ralliart Big Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The good news is that the prototype clutch-packs were significantly less expensive. I am really happy with the way that those are turning out. I did A LOT of research before even attempting to go at those. The bad news is that I now have to find someone to put them on the car.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My brackets are sitting on a shelf, waiting patiently for some calipers. After reading this thread update, I went dashing around my house (at 11:30pm), rummaging through old toolboxes for the vernier calipers I knew I had.

My brackets look good! There can't be more than 0.3mm variance in them, anywhere I care to measure.

Eric, I'm really pleased you took the trouble to do this project. I'm also really pleased I put in an order and got a set delivered to Oz.

I'm going to go to bed now - with those brackets under my pillow. And wait for the caliper fairy.

(that sounds so wrong, on so many levels)

Rich
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
One more thing - as I'm always looking for silver linings (for me, especially, hehehe):

If anyone has a set of Kore3 C6 Front Calipers they suddenly have no immediate use for, PM me. I might have a mutually beneficial solution to your problem.

Rich

edit: Damn, that came across pretty cold. I was still bathed in the afterglow of finding out my brackets measured up. Didn't mean to be a total p***k, sorry.

Last edited by richardjh; Aug 8, 2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Twinges of shame and guilt.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NFSLancerRA, I am sorry to hear that you are pausing on producing these but I do understand. The fabricators of the brackets and USPS caused you a lot of headaches. I hope you get everything resolved shortly.

I want to thank you again for all the time and effort you put in this kit.

I have almost completed my C6 Z06 front caliper install. I test fitted them yesterday and they finally fit with some massaging (grinding the metal of the caliper). I will post some pictures of them installed and what I had to grind away next week. I just need to powdercoat them before I install them.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
I took my vibration clips off of the calipers entirely. They don't actually hold the pads in place. They are meant to cut down on noise.
Sure they do. Without them the pads don't fit in snug at all and clunk around all over the place.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:45 AM
EvoM Guru

If you have a new manufacture who you think is doing a good job why discontinue the kits?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
If you have a new manufacture who you think is doing a good job why discontinue the kits?
Personal decision.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Personal decision.
I can for sure respect and understand that. I was just curious.

Are you planning on starting it back up at some point? I believe there is a good demand for these kits.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
I can for sure respect and understand that. I was just curious.

Are you planning on starting it back up at some point? I believe there is a good demand for these kits.
Indeed I will. After the design is adjusted on the giant upgrade, I will make a run of those brackets and the small ones with the new manufacturer. As was stated before, I have a few other little projects that I will be working on. I have my plate full with that and school.

It sucks that your calipers didn't clear the rotors. The holding strips are on the top of the caliper on my old set. I just installed them on someone else's car. Everything clears fine on the sets that I have done. Either way, bad times. Sorry about that.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I subscribed to this thread from early on but never joined in on the first batch because i did not have my car yet. Now i'm kicking myself. Hopefully your other projects go forward with less headache's. Like Razor said, there is a demand for this brake upgrade not just from this forum but a couple of others. I'm sure when you get back to this that you could make a lot of $ even if that was not your intent.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Truly tragic. Thanks for all your effort to date, I was rooting for this to be a home run. The idea and design aren't the issue, its the machining. Here's an idea, talk to someone like RRE or CBRD and find out who they use (or if they have the equipment in shop) when doing fab work.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Here's an idea, talk to someone like RRE or CBRD and find out who they use (or if they have the equipment in shop) when doing fab work.
If and when I do decide to start this up again, I will have Tobin@Kore3 produce the brackets. I am very comfortable working with him. I think that most people on here will agree that his stuff is top-notch, as well. His work isn't cheap, though (not that I care about that, but it is something to consider).

I know what you are saying, though. I learned the hard way that you have to be very careful to make sure that all of the products are being made as advertised.

Over the next couple of months, I have a number of other things to work on.

1). I will try as hard as I can to get Bilstein to produce a set of shocks/struts for the Ralliart. I have a set of blown components to use for sizing. I have been in contact with one of their reps, so I will keep people updated on how that goes.

2). The design for the clutches is done. I have a few last minute decisions to make regarding materials, etc. That should be finished soon. I don't plan on installing those until December, though.

3). The Z06 upgrade is getting tweaked. I don't like that the rotor has to be custom made in the back. I have a new set of 4-piston Wilwood calipers coming to be used in the rear with a stock Evo X rear rotor. That will save some weight and make for a lighter and more efficient design. The end goal to is have that production ready by Thanksgiving. I will give this some time and not rush things this time around. At that point, I will probably start making the basic upgrade brackets again. As was stated before, those brackets will be made by someone who has a lot of experience and is reliable. No more small shop deals.

4). People keep asking about the transmission cooler. This is a much bigger project than originally suspected. I canned the AMS-sized option. That is about as good as doing nothing. I have some basic ideas drawn up for that. That is something that I hope to have done by December.

5). I have located an MR TCU. Bryan was nice enough to let me have a look at a unit that he has, as well. I have been asking around about reprogramming this beast. At the very least, I want to get an MR TCU in the car and working in the months to come. I have a stock-pile of parts to go on the car at the end of the year. I have decided to stick with the RAD and give it hell.

6). For those of you who have the Ultimate Racing exhaust, I understand that that thing is a bit loud. I am looking around for a used one. I predict that that exhaust can be quiet with the right tuning. I have had someone look at that, and together we came up with a solution. No more drone. I want an exhaust system that sounds as quiet as possible. I feel as if others are on the same boat. You will dig this. I guarantee it.

That is about it. There is no turning back now. My warranty is completely gone. Time to turn up the volume.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh, and I also have new transmission fluid and a filter.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1). I will try as hard as I can to get Bilstein to produce a set of shocks/struts for the Ralliart. I have a set of blown components to use for sizing. I have been in contact with one of their reps, so I will keep people updated on how that goes.

5). I have located an MR TCU. Bryan was nice enough to let me have a look at a unit that he has, as well. I have been asking around about reprogramming this beast. At the very least, I want to get an MR TCU in the car and working in the months to come. I have a stock-pile of parts to go on the car at the end of the year. I have decided to stick with the RAD and give it hell.
This and this

1). Adjustable dampening? (*fingers crossed*)

5). VERY excited to see more on this
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Damn dude. I think I love you. JK. But seriously, you are awesome for doing all this. I wish you lived closer so I could help you out with some of this.

Quick Reply: Ralliart Big Brake Upgrade