Notices

Question before installing swift lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question before installing swift lowering springs

Greetings all; I am finally pulling the trigger this Friday and lowering the car after saving some cash and I have a few worries that hopefully someone can kill for me:

I am on 18x8 with an offset of 45.
Tires are 225/45/18.

Swift springs will drop the car 1" rear and 1.2" front.

Will I need to do any fender rolling?

The planets aligned and I found a place in Mobile, AL that can do fender rolling (hunted the place down just in case I would need to visit them).

Thank you. I read through the wheel fitment sticky for almost thirty minutes and I'm still worried.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO fender rolling necessary, drop as you wish.

edit:

You wont have to roll because your offset is high enough. If you were running the same setup with a +35offset you would have to roll for sure (as thats what im running with).
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

^appreciate the response, man. I kind of figured 45 offset would be close enough to stock (won't have that awesome flushed look, but eh) but I wasn't so sure since everyone was going with lower profile (40's) rather than 45's.

looking forward to decreasing that wheel gap and some improved cornering abilities.

So any thing more agressive than 45 offset and it's fender roll? You won't believe how many people I called locally in this area that didn't know what the hell fender rolling was.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

you MIGHT get away with 225 45 18 and a +40 offset but if you have more than 2 passengers or heavier than normal cargo you might rub coming off speed bumps or dips in the road.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by roversix
So any thing more agressive than 45 offset and it's fender roll? You won't believe how many people I called locally in this area that didn't know what the hell fender rolling was.
I'm wondering the same (even after hunting through the wheel and tire fitment thread), I'm on 225/45/18 tires with wheels 18x7.5, offset of +38, looking at the Swift Springs .

Kamispeed thinks I'll be fine, but this thread has got me wondering.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

^I'm getting the swifts put on Friday, I will let you know how it feels. I'm planning on sticking my whole family in the RA afterwords and going through my apartment parking lot (speed bumps extravaganza) also after the springs settle and seeing if there's anything close to rubbing.

I'll be back with photos. Keep in mind my offset is super conservative being one off to stock... it was just the tire thickness at 45 as opposed to 40's (which the majority seem to get after lowering) that worried me. Also, I'm rocking 8 width wheels with 225 tires. We'll see Friday.

When I got underneath the car, the room for aggresive sizes and offsets seem very limited... it's just mind-boggling how it seems like there's not alot of room for wheels/tires other than stock.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:12 AM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Do you have camber bolts for the front? If not then I would recommend having them put on at the same time as the springs.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

^ thanks for the heads up... I read through the entire RRM Springs Thread to figure out what I would need the camber bolts for. I will be purchasing the Ingalls kit and have them with me when I get the alignment.

Anyone want to chime in here that got lowered with the swifts and not need the camber kit? I keep reading mixed results with a "proper" alignment being good enough VS RA's not having adjustable camber with the stock bolts and definitely needing a camber kit.

Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Swifts are on... sorry for the crappy quality, only had time with the camera phone. Anyway, not even close to rubbing; there's quite some space left. I already went ballistic with the family inside and through numerous speed bumps.

Also, it's true that it feels like the stock springs.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by roversix

Swifts are on... sorry for the crappy quality, only had time with the camera phone. Anyway, not even close to rubbing; there's quite some space left. I already went ballistic with the family inside and through numerous speed bumps.

Also, it's true that it feels like the stock springs.
hi can you bring the pictures back? Can't see them anymore, and so was the camber kit really wasn't necessary? I am looking into an exact setup as yours....thanks
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

before swift springs:

After:

Closer:

When i got the alignment, ten days after, the mechanic said the camber kit was not necessary as they brought the alignment back to OEM specs without needing the kit.

I have, however, purchased the kit: "Ingalls front camber kit" for 09+ Ralliart. It was really cheap (on EBAY/Amazon, part no. is 35420) you'll need one per wheel, and the font ones are what you need to worry about. Now, from what I got from other threads, the kit is necessary to adjust the camber because being that you've lowered the car, you want the camber adjusted passed the OEM specs which our stock front camber bolts cannot do.

I'm doing further research to see if this is actually necessary (waiting if I have uneven tire wear in the future) and then i'll install the kit.

But so far, no rubbing during anything. Speedbumps / cornering/ etc... nothing at all.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the pics and the good info....how long after was your "After" pic taken? maybe it's the angle of that picture or something because the gaps seem to be bigger than your close-up pics....
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

All the pictures were taken maybe 2-3 days after installation. The angle is just bad on the "after pic" and also, after the springs settled through ten days, the wheel gap lessened quite more.

I'll try to take pictures after work, provided the weather clear up a little. I'm kind of scared to get my SLR camera wet.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:01 AM

Any updates on how the spring are going?? I had them installed and have since taken them off due to loud clunking from the rear springs.

Thinking of either getting coilovers or reinstalling swifts and wrapping the springs to eliminate noise.... Any help or opinions?

Cheers