Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

A Daily Driver and Track Viable Setup

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Daily Driver and Track Viable Setup

I'm trying to find a balanced setup that has a descent stance but can also work for a total newbie on the track and a daily driver (including being able to put 2 people in the back seat). I have a local place that can roll fenders and probably mess with the liners.

Been on the forums relentlessly and couldn't find this exact setup, despite the popularity of the parts. If similar setups were mentioned, I couldn't find anything that addressed working both on the track/DD.

Enkei RPF1 18x9.5 +15
Pilot Super Sport 255/40/18 (9.5 treadwidth per tirerack)
Swift Spec R lowering springs
Rally Art Mud Flaps (*already installed)

Can I track this without rubbing?
Can I put 2 in the back without rubbing?
If not, can I remedy any rubbing with fender rolling?
Is there a point where no amount of fender rolling will stop the rubbing on bumps?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 08:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I had a similar setup, 3 differences were +22 instead of +15, Falken RT-615K tire (prolly wider for the same size), and GTWorx springs (lower similar amount I believe). the rears rubbed, I had them fenders cut. +15 is closer to the fender, so it will most likely rub as well
The following users liked this post:
Finale (Mar 23, 2016)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 03:13 AM

Thanks for the response. It blows my mind so many people have setups that are more aggressive ...
How are they OK with all the rubbing? I just don't see the practicality.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

they all roll or cut their fenders... or have super stiff coilovers and take corners like a granny so it never rubs... but most are in the roll or cut fenders category
Old Mar 22, 2016, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

I should also mention that this tire size is a little taller than stock. its possible that a slightly shorter 265 will clear without rolling or cutting, but I don't have any personal experience with that. 265's and 275's are a more popular size with the Evo X's
Old Mar 22, 2016, 03:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,549 Likes on 1,328 Posts
The PSS's will get smoked on track. Go with a 265/35r18 Bridgestone RE11. Quite on the street for daily, and will handle track use much better, and have more grip, than the Michelin PSS.

You will need to roll the fenders with the +15 offset. +22 to +30 should get the tire in there better and require much less fender work.
Finale (Mar 23, 2016)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 04:19 PM

So now I'm looking at getting a +25 offset off your recommendations. Enkei makes a 18x9.0 +35. If I run a 10mm spacer, I guess that can get me into the +25 optimal offset?

Are there any disadvantages to running spacers?

Also, how the heck is it possible for a 9.0" wheel to weigh less than a 8.5"? I took a screenshot straight from Enkei's RFP1 website specs.

*edit for grammar.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The PSS's will get smoked on track. Go with a 265/35r18 Bridgestone RE11. Quite on the street for daily, and will handle track use much better, and have more grip, than the Michelin PSS.

You will need to roll the fenders with the +15 offset. +22 to +30 should get the tire in there better and require much less fender work.
they still sell those? might as well get the RE71R if you're going for that class of tire...

somehow I missed that OP mentioned going to the track. in that case I'd recommend something in the extreme performance catergory on tirerack (don't have to buy on tirerack, just so you know what to look at)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 04:35 PM

I should clarify track days will be super rare. I'm talking maybe a couple times a year, if that.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

if you don't want to setup up to an EP class tire, I'd at least recommend to go with something with a stiffer sidewall. the PSS is known to have a soft sidewall and it doesn't really work that great on track (even if couple times a year) with the Evo since its relatively heavy.

the guy I sold my Evo to went from a 255 RT-615K (prolly the least sticky EP class tire) to a 275 PSS and he said he hated it, the biggest reason being how soft the sidewalls were...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk
if you don't want to setup up to an EP class tire, I'd at least recommend to go with something with a stiffer sidewall. the PSS is known to have a soft sidewall and it doesn't really work that great on track (even if couple times a year) with the Evo since its relatively heavy.

the guy I sold my Evo to went from a 255 RT-615K (prolly the least sticky EP class tire) to a 275 PSS and he said he hated it, the biggest reason being how soft the sidewalls were...
That's interesting, I'll look into EPs. Your friend didn't like them because the softwalls were "softer," but wouldn't they naturally feel that way going from a 255-275?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 06:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Finale
That's interesting, I'll look into EPs. Your friend didn't like them because the softwalls were "softer," but wouldn't they naturally feel that way going from a 255-275?
to a degree yes, but the PSS specifically is known for its soft sidewall in all sizes. Michelin calls it ride comfort, I call it sloppier handling. also you don't have to go to an EP class tire to get a stiffer sidewall. there are MP class tires that have stiffer sidewalls if you wanna stick to that. But you'll have to do your own research to figure out which tire that is. the PSS and the Conti DW both have soft sidewalls.
Finale (Mar 23, 2016)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 06:34 PM

to a degree yes, but the PSS specifically is known for its soft sidewall in all sizes. Michelin calls it ride comfort, I call it sloppier handling. also you don't have to go to an EP class tire to get a stiffer sidewall. there are MP class tires that have stiffer sidewalls if you wanna stick to that. But you'll have to do your own research to figure out which tire that is. the PSS and the Conti DW both have soft sidewalls.
Yeah, I need to do more looking around. A problem with some of the EPs are they don't come in a 255/40/18, which is what I'm trying for. The search continues. Thanks again for the responses.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 06:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,549 Likes on 1,328 Posts
they still sell those? might as well get the RE71R if you're going for that class of tire...

somehow I missed that OP mentioned going to the track. in that case I'd recommend something in the extreme performance catergory on tirerack (don't have to buy on tirerack, just so you know what to look at)
The RE11 is not as soft as the re71, and it's far quieter. It would be the perfect tire for his car. Daily driver with 1-3 track days a year, and maybe an autocross or whatever. The RE11 will probably last him over a year.

OP, you can get the NT03 in 18x9.5 +27. If it were me, it would just get the rpf1's in 9.5 +15, and roll the fenders. It's not that hard. A 265 tire belongs on a 9.5" wide wheel.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i agree, i used the PSS last year for track days and theyre not ideal for track. The outer shoulders wore extremely quick even at -2.8 camber. The sidewalls are way too soft for our cars and after a couple hot laps, the tires get extremely greasy. I bought a set of Re-71R for this upcoming season
Finale (Mar 23, 2016)

Quick Reply: A Daily Driver and Track Viable Setup