Notices

Shaking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomar
Tire pressure? Bent rim? Out-of-round tire? Worn suspension components? Did you have the wheels statically or dynamically balanced?
The balancing im not sure how they balanced it but its the one with the machine that spins the wheel and they add the weights. Tire pressure is fine. I checked the wheels all around no bends plus wouldnt the vibration be consistent if the rim was bent? Worn suspension components such as? Already though? Ive only had the car 9 mos and got my rims 6 mos ago and thats when the vibration started. Which balancing is better? Im thinking that may be it, hopefully.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

in many cases it's the hub ring
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Warped rotors can also cause vibration.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure they are dynamically balanced. They'll use the little sticky weights on the flat part of the rim rather than hammering the weights on the side.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:22 PM

make sure you're not using the stock lug nuts lol..
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by edsralliartsb
...Ive only had the car 9 mos and got my rims 6 mos ago and thats when the vibration started...
As has been mentioned before, have the wheels dynamically balanced (if they haven't been already). That does not necessarily mean that they will exclusively use sticky weights, you can use hammer-on weights while performing a dynamic balance. Stickys are just the current method of choice for most tire shops.

Also mentioned previously, which is much easier to resolve yourself, is to be sure that you are using proper hub-centering rings and properly shaped lug nuts.

I would rule out any suspension- or brake-component-related cause since it just started happening when you upgraded to the new wheels.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

I need to jump on the bandwagon...
I had a flat in 1 tire and ended up getting 4 new ones... go figure. Anyways, my car rode fine before the new tires. Directly after the new ones, I noticed shaking at speeds of 65+. The shaking varies with the temp outside (I'm in Houston) and I guess the temp of the tire, sometimes the shaking is minor and sometimes I feel like my hand is going numb from the vibrations.
About a week of driving like this, I went back and had them rebalanced. They needed some adjustment. But still had the shakes...
I'm just too busy and too lazy, plus I don't always drive up to those speeds everyday, so I haven't been back to have them re-balanced again. They have 500+ miles on these tires now.

The same effects happened on my old tires when I tried to rotate them once, lots of shaking, so I left them non-rotated. That's why I ended up buying 4 new ones this time.

Do you guys think rebalancing should fix it? Maybe I should try a different Discount Tire shop?

I'm on Rota rims with RRM springs.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:26 AM

For what it's worth, I have a vibration on cold tires ( less than 70 degrees ) when I go over 50MPH for about 2 - 3 minutes till the tires warm up.

I generally don't notice it because I live in a town with 30 MPH speed limit for a couple of miles, by then they are warmed up, so I only notice it when I am someplace where I can go 50 right off the bat.

It's a minor vibration and it's tires because I don't get it with my snows....
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

When the car sits the tires can develop a slight flat spot where they were touching the ground. As you drive the tires warm up and the flat spot disapears. The OEM tires on my car do this every morning.

nmilsaps, what brand tires are they? some cheaper chinese brand tires sometimes come from the factory not perfectly round. If that's the case you can have a tire shop road force balance them. That helps sometimes.