Notices

Injen CAI set to be released

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely can see it happening. Especially if the stock stuff was ultra restrictive. You should see how much you can get out of a hyundai tiburon with I/H/E. 35+ at the peaks were expected... I personally went from 125 to 166 peak hp.

wow that sounds depressingly low in hp.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I'm surprised it took this long for a CAI to come out though, I figured AEM, Injen, K&N, etc. would have jumped on it fast.
Anyways, be warned, Injen seems to always post very high gains for their intakes. I think for the GTS they claim something like a 10 WHP gain which is ridiculous. I suspect that what is happening is the intake is making the car run a bit lean thereby making power. However, lean can be bad and if the car detects it, it could actually hurt power in the long run.

Amby, In another thread you stated you weren't a fan of SRI and that CAI intakes are better for turbo cars. Now ignoring the claims Injen has made. Would this Intake be a better bet than the SRI that are currently out right now. Any intake i get im going to get a custum tune to go along with it. So i dont care what claims they are making. With a proper tune would this intake make more power than what is out there now, simply due to its location away from the engine.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

still might have to move a few things out of the way to get this thing down in the fender like it shows in the pic. looks like they went over the battery though, so no issues there.
Old May 15, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake26
well think what you want. i didn't suck out that sheet out of my finger. its real no photoshop. i just told you what i had on my lancer and those are the results. my base was 127hp..... and with rrm headers, injen catback and injen intake where dyno shows i ended up with 149whp. sorry that you don't believe me. but i have no reason to lie about what i gained with that setup. that car is long gone anyways and i am looking to better things with my ralliart. Even injen claims 11HP gain and 10 lbs ft trq. So if you have questions about that and don't believe it i think you should contact injen and have them prove to you that the intake in fact gains 11HP. Remember everything has to due with elevation, what dyno was used, and may be because it was 20 degrees outside it helped me out also. So if i would have dynoed my car where you lived i might only gained 18HP instead of 22Hp. or less..
I just wanna leave it at that because i don't wanna have beef with anyone here on evom.
You have no baseline on the graph above. You have a single run, that is all. Comparing dynos is impossible, even it's the same dyno. Things can change from day to day, run to run. When I dynoed my car, I believe one run was ridiculously low compared to all the rest. 22 WHP with just bolt-ons makes zero sense considering the type of car in question. It's a small displacement, 4 cylinder engine with a modern ECU. Even 350Z don't see the gains you did and their engine is significantly larger, hell, they actually lose power if you don't tune them.
Manufacturers have been claiming ridiculous gains since they started producing parts, Magnaflow claimed a 10 HP gain on the old 4G94 which was absolute BS.
Old May 15, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nightwish1094
Amby, In another thread you stated you weren't a fan of SRI and that CAI intakes are better for turbo cars. Now ignoring the claims Injen has made. Would this Intake be a better bet than the SRI that are currently out right now. Any intake i get im going to get a custum tune to go along with it. So i dont care what claims they are making. With a proper tune would this intake make more power than what is out there now, simply due to its location away from the engine.
If you're going to tune it, I would definitely go with this intake over anything else on the market currently.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:34 PM
Account Disabled

can some body post how much WHP you get with each mod

eg. AMS Base Flash 50 whp
etc
etc
etc
Old May 15, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have no baseline on the graph above. You have a single run, that is all. Comparing dynos is impossible, even it's the same dyno. Things can change from day to day, run to run. When I dynoed my car, I believe one run was ridiculously low compared to all the rest. 22 WHP with just bolt-ons makes zero sense considering the type of car in question. It's a small displacement, 4 cylinder engine with a modern ECU. Even 350Z don't see the gains you did and their engine is significantly larger, hell, they actually lose power if you don't tune them.
Manufacturers have been claiming ridiculous gains since they started producing parts, Magnaflow claimed a 10 HP gain on the old 4G94 which was absolute BS.
ugh never mind forget i said anything about having a injen intake.. lets move on
Old May 17, 2009, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

no offence, but you just made me lol - someone has brought up some evidence to back up their claim and all you go on is 'BS' this and 'BS' that and some random ancideotal facts that may or may not be relevant in this case.

He did a base run on a dyno - did some mods, did a second run on the same dyno and made 22rwhp gains. rather than attack the poster, one should have just said, 'wow, that was more that i would have thought possible, but hey, you have to data to back it up...'

a dyno is a tool - the actual hp figure is irrelvant - what it really shows is the gains made by the afore mentioned mods...
Old May 17, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

someone told me something funny the other day... on a regular mazda3 (not mazdaspeed) he made his own intake and headers and went from 140 hp at the crank to 225 at the wheels.
Old May 17, 2009, 07:55 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't get too excited. Just take a look at that piping, they made it bend all over the place just to squeeze it in there, and it's likely not the ideal diameter due to clearances. I just don't see how that'd be a better option than a simple SRI with a fat pipe. Regardless of whether your intake is an SRI or CAI, your intake air is going to get baked due to compression and a hot turbo. IMO, your money would be better spent on upgrading your charge pipes and intercooler.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by billyboy1
no offence, but you just made me lol - someone has brought up some evidence to back up their claim and all you go on is 'BS' this and 'BS' that and some random ancideotal facts that may or may not be relevant in this case.

He did a base run on a dyno - did some mods, did a second run on the same dyno and made 22rwhp gains. rather than attack the poster, one should have just said, 'wow, that was more that i would have thought possible, but hey, you have to data to back it up...'

a dyno is a tool - the actual hp figure is irrelvant - what it really shows is the gains made by the afore mentioned mods...

wow!!!! thank you sir for backing me up on this, finally some one with some sense!!! thanks!!
Old May 17, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by billyboy1

What proof? He has one dyno run, it means nothing. Hell, others have dynoed with similar mods and noticed nothing. Moreover, how can a 4 cylinder, NA motor make more power with mods than a turboed car?
Old May 17, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's next on my list ams fmic kit
Old May 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

What proof? He has one dyno run, it means nothing. Hell, others have dynoed with similar mods and noticed nothing. Moreover, how can a 4 cylinder, NA motor make more power with mods than a turboed car?
a 4 cyl n/a can make more or equal power to a turbo 4 cyl with similar mods up to an extent. for instance, the 2.3 ltr pzev focus(sorry its the only 4 cyl na i am familiar with) is extrememly restricted due to emissions controled systems. open the intake 12whp open the CBE 8whp the header 11whp so its doable. not nessesarily for every 4 cyl na but for some it is definately possible. myself and hundreds of other focus owners have personal experience with this. these are not typical gains for a 4 cyl na but due to new cars with their restrictive systems its possible. but that will be the end of their gains. from there on out a turbo will see better gains from a tune, injectors etc... but with minor bolt ons such as I/H/E 4 cyl cars today can gain quite a bit of power if they are designed for emissions and fuel efficiency
Old May 17, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaiten2
a 4 cyl n/a can make more or equal power to a turbo 4 cyl with similar mods up to an extent. for instance, the 2.3 ltr pzev focus(sorry its the only 4 cyl na i am familiar with) is extrememly restricted due to emissions controled systems. open the intake 12whp open the CBE 8whp the header 11whp so its doable. not nessesarily for every 4 cyl na but for some it is definately possible. myself and hundreds of other focus owners have personal experience with this. these are not typical gains for a 4 cyl na but due to new cars with their restrictive systems its possible. but that will be the end of their gains. from there on out a turbo will see better gains from a tune, injectors etc... but with minor bolt ons such as I/H/E 4 cyl cars today can gain quite a bit of power if they are designed for emissions and fuel efficiency
No, they can't, at least not if we're comparing similar displacement engines and not talking about freaks. The fundamental rule to power is the more air you can cram into an engine, the more fuel you can add and thus the more power you can make. An NA engine does not have air being forced into it, and as such, is highly limited in the amount of air it can take it and thus expel. I don't know of a single NA car (even large displacement motors) that can gain 50 WHP with an exhaust and tune. The days of bolt-ons are close to gone, with the way engines are designed now, if you change the flow of air going into the motor or the flow of exhaust coming out, the car knows and adjusts accordingly, often hurting power.

Quick Reply: Injen CAI set to be released