Notices

Help need stock ra turbo!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Check your bov clamp connections. 2.
2. Check your Intercooler and pipes Upper and lower. 4.
3. Check your vacuum lines to the wastegate. If the line is disconnected boost will run at the wastegate spring. Which I don't know what it is. Maybe 10-12psi.

Turbo's are so hard to break. You need to not change the oil and run excessive boost for extended times to break them. Or have it suck up something. I've had many years of turbo cars running 20-28psi and not run a turbo timer. I haven't had serious problems like a blown turbo. Sometimes leaking seals though. Turbos are tough man.

If it feels like you the boost isn't going into the motor then its leaking out somewhere.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:45 AM

Stock X wastegate?

If forge makes a wastegate for you, i'd just invest in that...it shoudln't be too much more either
Old Dec 1, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
Yes I know to. Turbo still spools just dosnt hold boost at all I have zero pounds of boost on wot. Car accelrates ****y. Seems as slow if not slower than a Gts. Me and my friend looked at it and he belives it's the wastegate. If it is I found a stock evo x wg for 80 bucks shipped. So if that's the case I will just do that.
Even with a wastegate problem you would have some boost. Sounds like you blew off one of your intercooler house couplings.

Keith

PS: A stock EVO X wastegate actuator will not fit... the linkage is longer than the ralliart wastegate. The Forge EVO X wastegate actuator has a large amount of adjustability, and will just barely fit the Ralliart stock turbo.

Last edited by Fourdoor; Dec 1, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well I took it to the dealer and had them look it over for diagnostics here's word for word what the invoice says.

Customer states has no boost, customer sates waste gate failing.
Disconnected waste gate and closed manually and vehicle didn't produce any boost. Should have produced some boost. Vehicle goes into vaccum.
Check engine light code calls for replacement of maf sensor code P1235 sensor has oil.
Unable to comunicate with waste gate solenoid, to acuate system, also rattle noise coming from turbo. No intake leaks found.
Replacment turbo 2580.70+tax part discount 1800+labor
mass air flow meter 227.50+tax.

So that's what they said.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

wow insane
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:29 PM

wow, that sux dude. Take off all you mods and go to a diff dealership and play dumb. This post makes me not want to mod my car.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 09:17 PM
tre
Evolving Member

ouch!

just hope they didn't flag your vin already.

this is exactly why anything i do to this car on warranty must be replacable back to oem within a afternoon. I would not risk going into the dealer modified.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:13 PM
Account Disabled

You might as well go aftermarket if you're going to have to pay that much for repairs. I wouldn't pay $2500 for a stock turbo.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

FP Red
Old Dec 2, 2009, 02:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
Well I took it to the dealer and had them look it over for diagnostics here's word for word what the invoice says.

Customer states has no boost, customer sates waste gate failing.
Right here is your problem. You told them what you think it is, and they ran with it and picked the most expensive part to replace.

Unless you sucked an F'ing rock into that turbo it is fine.... or (very unlikely) it is a factory defect they are blaming on you...

They checked for an "intake" leak... not an intercooler pipe leak. Also, a blown off intercooler coupling would give jacked up MAF readings... just like they found.

Replace the turbo, and in the process you will take off your intercooler pipes... and the problem will be solved.

Since you think your turbo is junk, send it to me... I can use it as a spare.

Keith
Old Dec 2, 2009, 04:06 AM
Evolving Member

Also check the boost line going to your fuel pressure regulator, Evos were having them pop off.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy crap, you'd might as well pull off an X turbo swap off for that price .

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...arts-list.html

Find a used X turbo+all other parts...still cheaper than getting a new RA turbo/dealer.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 07:11 AM
tre
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
Right here is your problem. You told them what you think it is, and they ran with it and picked the most expensive part to replace.

Unless you sucked an F'ing rock into that turbo it is fine.... or (very unlikely) it is a factory defect they are blaming on you...

They checked for an "intake" leak... not an intercooler pipe leak. Also, a blown off intercooler coupling would give jacked up MAF readings... just like they found.

Replace the turbo, and in the process you will take off your intercooler pipes... and the problem will be solved.

Since you think your turbo is junk, send it to me... I can use it as a spare.

Keith
i really have to agree with keith on this. I find it unlikely as well your turbo is shot. your mod list says you replaced the bov. maybe try the stocker again and see what happens. maybe your bov is stuck open? i don't know its worth a shot at this point.

another thing. do you know how they tested with the wastegate did they actually drive it? or just rev the **** outta it at idle? engine needs load on it to make proper boost.

just go over all your charge pipes. it shouldn't take very long and could save you 2 grand.

Last edited by tre; Dec 2, 2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Also if the pipes seperated under boost you should have heard a loud pop followed by a rush of air. I assume that didn't happen though. One thing you could do is either make or buy a boost leak tester. If you were closer I'd loan you mine. Try http://boostpro.net/prodtester.html you will need a 3" to 2.5 inch reducer though.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Customer stated "My turbo is broken!!"
Mitsubishi dealer "YES IT IS!! Sorry, no warranty, heres your bill..."

"My clutch packs are fried!"
"Sorry, no warranty, heres your bill $12k!"

You go in trying to know more than the dealer, but you have not tried to solve anything on your own. They just twisted your ****.