Notices

Octane...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Octane...

Ok, so I have searched but can not find an answer to my question.

What is the highest octane I can run with stock injectors?

Also, I know that the stock turbo flows at 33/lb per min. max hp is right around 270 whp give or take a couple. Is this the max hp that the turbo can make period? Or is it that it can only produce that much by upping the boost to 24 Psi?

Let's say I add some cams and 105 octane or even switch to E-85. Can I safely increase hp past its flow rate keeping boost the same or lowering?

I am currently saving for an evo and I do not plan on doing this but was wondering if its possible to see higher hp out of the RA by adding cams or E-85 or just switching to higher octane not upgrading turbo.

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

okay not too clear what your saying here..

you want to change to a lower stoich fuel or you want to add octane?

because adding octane you will need less fuel because of the longer burn.. Now if the fuel you add has a different stoich ratio than what you ran before it changes the game.

The turbo is your weak spot. Change it add opp's fuel pump and retune.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I guess what I am asking is Am I really limited to 270whp (if thats the max of course depending on dyno) with the stock turbo. I mean I understand that the stock turbo only flows so much and can only hold so much boost at high rpms. But by adding octane and or cams or just internal engine work, does this change that?

When I was tuned on the dyno I made 264whp and 294wtq on 93 octane. If I was tuned for lets say 105 or 110 octane, Will I gain more HP? Assuming yes, but am I still limited to the 270whp because of the turbo? If I add a kelford cam or GSC S1 will I still be limited because of the turbo? I guess I am asking in case I need to hold the stock turbo 1/4 record!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by >Cataclysm<
Well, I guess what I am asking is Am I really limited to 270whp (if thats the max of course depending on dyno) with the stock turbo. I mean I understand that the stock turbo only flows so much and can only hold so much boost at high rpms. But by adding octane and or cams or just internal engine work, does this change that?

When I was tuned on the dyno I made 264whp and 294wtq on 93 octane. If I was tuned for lets say 105 or 110 octane, Will I gain more HP? Assuming yes, but am I still limited to the 270whp because of the turbo? If I add a kelford cam or GSC S1 will I still be limited because of the turbo? I guess I am asking in case I need to hold the stock turbo 1/4 record!
if you went with a smaller engine the turbo would make more boost..

if you increase engine flow ie bore/stroke/ headwork or cams.. Your going to run less max boost.

if you add octane without retuning your car will be slower. You could do a Q16 or MS109(what i would use) tune and maybe add some hp with the fuel and timing along with a 10.8:1 tune... (on a calibrated wideband)

The turbo on this car needs to be upgraded if you want to go faster..

oh nitrous will add a few psi good luck w/the tranny tho

look at it as a safety mod too.. Your turbo wont last the way your running it.. I promise that thing is tiny
Old Oct 2, 2010, 01:15 PM
Account Disabled

Yes ignition timing will make power up until MBT. Higher octane will allow you to hit MBT without knock. You will never hit MBT with pump gas, ever.

Boost is not everything.

- Bryan
Old Oct 2, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Yes ignition timing will make power up until MBT. Higher octane will allow you to hit MBT without knock. You will never hit MBT with pump gas, ever.

Boost is not everything.

- Bryan
you can get pretty close on these cars w/ the RA turbo.. THe cost of raceas/pro tune for the gains aren't worth it.

subarus you can. And should

I'm sorry but if your gonna mod these cars.. the one thing you shouldn't overlook is a turbo swap even if it is for the evo x turbo..
Old Oct 2, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CammedEvo
you can get pretty close on these cars w/ the RA turbo.. THe cost of raceas/pro tune for the gains aren't worth it.

subarus you can. And should

I'm sorry but if your gonna mod these cars.. the one thing you shouldn't overlook is a turbo swap even if it is for the evo x turbo..
That's great and all, but a lot of us also want to maintain our warranties!!!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
That's great and all, but a lot of us also want to maintain our warranties!!!

What warranty?

Mitsu wouldn't warranty my syncros cause i had my car on a road course and it was lowered!

if you want to keep your warranty DONT MOD YOUR CAR AT ALL. Period.. Cause when your tranny breaks and mitsu sees theres not paint on x bolt or that the slightest thing is off.. Your not getting any warranty for the tranny.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CammedEvo
I guarantee you cannot hit MBT on pump gas.

- Bryan