Notices

Question on O2 Spacers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on O2 Spacers

Hey guys. I bought an exhaust from an awesome member on these boards. I bought the O2 spacer from AMS, for the high-flow cat. I purchased. Well, the Vibrant O2 spacer comes with three different... whatever they are... disc looking things (all doubts of me being a complete newb has now been confirmed )

I used the middle disc, in the picture shown below, yet I still threw a CEL. Just wondering what other members have used with their high-flow cat's. Thanks guys.

Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,043 Likes on 762 Posts
Just turn it off in the ECU
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with regards to turning it off... once turned off, can you then remove the rear O2 completely from the car?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Just turn it off in the ECU
Okay, how does one go about turning it off in the ECU.

Second question, if one doesn't have the option of turning it off in the ECU, and want to make everything okay with the hardware given above, what is the correct disc to use? I'd still like to see my original question answered. It's an honor to get an answer from you in my thread
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

How much did you pay for that O2 spacer?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
How much did you pay for that O2 spacer?

$25 from AMS: http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...or-Spacer.html
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

There already is a thread about this. I recommend you use the search function.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zx-319
There already is a thread about this. I recommend you use the search function.
I found a thread on this in the Evo X section before I posted. I would be a blessed man if one could find a thread in the 2009+ Ralliart section about my O2 sensor spacer inquiry. Or is it what information I find in the Evo X section is all I need?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by toredefine
I found a thread on this in the Evo X section before I posted. I would be a blessed man if one could find a thread in the 2009+ Ralliart section about my O2 sensor spacer inquiry. Or is it what information I find in the Evo X section is all I need?
Here is the link: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...o2-spacer.html

I don't think the conversation was concluded... But maybe you should post in this thread to avoid multiplication...

But chi-town was pretty clear on what to look for...
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zx-319
Here is the link: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...o2-spacer.html

I don't think the conversation was concluded... But maybe you should post in this thread to avoid multiplication...

But chi-town was pretty clear on what to look for...

Wow, thanks man. Where is the reputation button when you need it?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Edited. I am staying out of this.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Toredefine,
To answer ur question, I would recommend using the insert with the smallest orifice. I believethe whole purpose of using these spacers is to isolate the sensor from the exhaust stream, hence why for some people its a matter of using 2spacers inorder to completely get rid of the code. the further it is...the better....hope this helps!
cheers!

Ps. I am speaking from evo exprience, but i doubt it would be any diff. to the ra's. gl!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

I have the TurboXS cat-back with their high-flow, I also bought the Vibrant O2 spacer, the smallest will throw a CEL non stop. The middle (currently on) throws it once a week but automatically goes away after a day or two. Im going to try the big one this weekend, that one should do the trick. It's with test pipes when you wan't to run the smaller hole, since theirs nothing to filter out the exhaust like the high-flow would. (at least that's what i think makes sense)
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, in regards to my post in the other thread, to clarify and add a bit more information, basically there are 2 different codes that can occur. Whichever code you have will determine your next step.

One is the catalyst efficiency code, p0420, which is the usual culprit when installing a hfc or test pipe, which is saying that the cat is not doing its job because it is detecting an elevated level of polluting emissions in the exhaust. This is the reason for the spacer/pinhole setup, so less of the exhaust gasses reach the sensor and it is convinced that the catalyst is doing its job to remove the pollutants from the airstream.

The other code that occurs, more specifically after you have installed a spacer setup, is the 02 sensor voltage code, can't remember exactly which one atm, sorry. This occurs because the sensor has been removed from the exhaust stream too far and too little of the exhaust gasses are actually reaching the sensor. This causes the car to believe that your o2 sensor is no longer in proper functioning condition because it is actually not seeing enough exhaust gas, and therefore the readings become inconsistant with normal operation. This is where you would use the larger opening in your spacer or where some people have to drill out their pinhole to make it a bit larger for a little more exhaust to reach the sensor so it has what the car believes to be a relevant reading.

I personally just run a 90* elbow spacer with the o2 threaded into that. To adjust the 90* version, you only have to rotate the sensor position upstream or downstream to change how much airflow makes it through, instead of having to completely remove the whole thing and swap out inserts.

Hope that helps

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Mar 24, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

I use the L shape one which is the only one that can eleminate the cel on my car

Quick Reply: Question on O2 Spacers