Notices

Badreligi0n's Project Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Badreligi0n's Project Ralliart - Its a Manual!

Preface
Before I begin, I would like to thank XRims for inspiration for the layout. I would also like to thank two of my good friends Thomas and Jordan for dealing with me for countless hours and helping me a long. I would also like to thank the countless people and vendors that have assisted me with my questions, and the Evolution M forums for all the knowledge I have learned from this website.

The information I am including is to help others in my successes and blunders.

Introduction
Hi my name is Patrick; I originally bought this car in Texas on May 5, 2009 as a 19 yr old and an E-1 (Just joined the Air Force), so it is no figure why I could not afford and the Evolution X that was sitting next to it at the time. I was fortunate to of found a reasonable dealer that took my 2002 RSX Type-S and sold the brand new 2009 GG Lancer Ralliart to me for ~$20k and included tinted windows!

The mod bug did not really bite me until about a year later, and it has been downhill ever since!

Build

~Mid January 2010
I finally discovered Evolutionm.net November the prior year, and I just started surfing the forums more in January however when my ACD pump went out. It was my first winter in cold* weather and the pump burnt itself out. I finally found that there was a cold-weather re-flash for this so I went and got the $2,000 pump replaced by warranty and then I started surfing the forums in the Ralliart section and noticed that the first item that everyone was upgrading was the intercooler because of how small the stock one was. After realizing the huge difference in size, and the common sense benefit of getting an Evo X intercooler for how cheap they were ($180), I came across a lousEVOxmr, a member here on the forums that had his stock intercooler for sale and was where I was heading for on my vacation. Still learning about the car, he helped me install it and taught me a lot about the basics of everything and took me for a ride in his tricked out Evo MR. Needless to say, that just made the mod bug bite harder!

Oh, I also got winter tires to deal with the snow, 4x Firestone Winterforce w/ steeles shipped was $575

Summary: Winter tires, ACD Pump replaced, Evo X InterCooler installed -$755

February 7, 2010
Will the mod bug fully affecting me, I was always surfing the forums and looking for the next thing to do. Finally I came across Brian from GST (razorlab) and his base tunes that he was providing to the community. The results a lone from seeing how much horsepower could be gained from a simple base tune and boost pill had me hooked. I purchased my boost pill from GST and my Tactrix cable the day I found this thread and was tuned by the end of the following week! I still remember that first time pulling onto the highway after the tune, and just the car came alive, if felt completely different and all the way up to the redline!

Summary: GST Boost Pill installed, Tactrix cable bought to tune/log -$200

February 22, 2010
Now, I know that getting a filter should have been one of the first mods I did to my car. But I could not see myself paying $100 for I high flow filter for the stock intake. Finally I came across Jake26 HOW TO: K&N SRI for no more than $70.00 thread and shocked I didn’t find this sooner. I did this mod right away and the biggest take away from this for me was the fact that I could hear my BPV significantly more! It made me want to hit boost, and let off every time like a child!!! I did not get a tune/need one for this mod because all I did what change the the filter essentially, the MAF housing stayed the same, but the reason we have to buy the stock Evo X housing is because ours is attached to our air box :/ … And since the MAF housing size didn’t change, all the air was being accounted for by the ECU and therefore I saw no need for a tune even though there was less air restriction!

Summary: Custom SRI installed -$75

February 27, 2010
Just out of boredom and the fact that ND does not require / have car inspections I replaced my catalytic converter with a test pipe. Thanks to cleanIX I was able to pick one up for cheap, I don’t remember what brand the pipe was, but I did notice a slight increasing the purr the stock exhaust had while idling. It made the purchase worth it to me!

Summary: Test pipe -$90

~Beginning of March 2010
After driving around with the Evo X intercooler for a while and a lot more research, I finally started looking for other “smaller” modifications I could do to my car. The next thing that I found from surfing the forums was to replace the lower intercooler piping because it is a plastic piece and because of the bend that blatantly disrupts airflow. Thanks to Clispe3GT, I was able to get the full Evo X stock intercooler piping for $90. The difference between the piping is pretty significant, but I cannot say I noticed any ‘gains’ from this pipe, only that I was happy I setting the building blocks for bigger things to come.

Summary: Evo X Lower InterCooler Piping installed -$90

~Beginning of March 2010
After long deliberation, and a lot of research and contact with AMS, I caved in decided to start looking for an Evo X turbo and parts to do the swap. Fortunately, I ran into very nice members, saulbyu, and criptballer who just bought their Evolution X and was already upgrading to a bigger turbo and were willing to work with me to sell me the parts. I was able to pick up the turbo, manifold, O2 housing, downpipe, wastegate, and inlet pipe for $750. I bought all new lines and gaskets for the install and the outlet pipe which cost about another $250.

Summary: Evo X turbo swap bought -$1000

~Mid April 2010
Finally with the nicer weather outside, a tuning appointment scheduled with AMS for May 5th and a base Evo X tune to drive the car from North Dakota to Chicago, I decided to go ahead and proceed with the install. The install went smoothly for the most part, me and my friend completed the install at the Auto Hobby Shop on base. We took our time taking off all the parts and marking everything, completing this in a day, and then the next day we proceeded with the installation of the Evo X turbo and parts. The install was a lot shorter and went a lot smoother that’s for sure. After completing the install, we filled it up with fresh oil and coolant, flashed her with the base tune, and took it around the block to make sure everything went ok during installation.

Summary: Oil, Coolant, Auto Hobby fee -$100

May 5th, 2010
Drove from North Dakota to Chicago to get tuned by AMS, the process was fairly quick and painless and I bought the Evo X BPV when I was there to hold more boost for tune I was getting. After maybe 2 hours, Chris was able to get me squared away and the tune was running good. I was able to make 300hp / 300tq with the mods I had on their dyno, all in all not a bad day. Then drove to the Airport to fly away for a weekend and couldn’t enjoy the tune right away :[!

Summary: Evo X BPV, AMS Tune -$695

Summer of 2010 (End of May – Early August)
A lot of things happened in this time frame. In the beginning of the summer, when it became nice out, I decided to sand down and paint the stock rims, which came out nice, but the wheels themselves just seemed to skinny and the rims were awfully heavy. Finally I broke down and I purchased a set of GSR OEM wheels powder coated black for $600 from a user on Evo M. A friend had a set of tires that he wasn’t using so he just gave them to me; this helped me on having to buy tires for the summer. I was also able to trade my Ralliart Turbo / Exhaust for and Evo X set-up. In that swap I just ended up paying shipping which was a total of about $400. By doing this swap though, I obtained a new custom 3’ exhaust, and a UR 3’ DP (Which to me was worth the $400) and I had an additional Evo X set-up to sell. This set-up I ended selling for $875 shipped (including used lines) the intercooler/intercooler piping and test pipe sold for $250, BPV sold for $125. I also ended up buying HIDS for $100 but they didn’t last the summer, and ended up Plasti-Dipping my chrome trim to give the car that darker look which cost about $25. Lastly I was able to pick up a HKS Turbo Timer Type-2 from a user off of Evo M for $125. All in all, through summer I pretty much broke even with everything that I did after all is said and done!

Summary: New Rims/Tires/Exhaust/Trim/Turbo Timer, Sold stuff -$0

December 2010 – January 2011
Well the summer and fall went good, then on to the cold northern winter. All was well until the beginning of December time frame. At this point, one day at work I was heading towards lunch and I was trying to make a right turn at a stop sign. I was stopped and waiting for the truck that was incoming to turn before I pulled out, however the truck, for some god-unbennounced-reason didn’t see me and turned short into the street I was sitting at waiting to turn and ran right into me. Needless to say, my bumper was pushed into my intercooler which pushed farther into the car causing all in all around $5k in damage. Insurance covered everything and I received $900 because I opted to replace the intercooler because the OEM one would have cost $900. I saved this money for the later months when I modded again.

Summary: Accident :[ +$900

~Mid March 2011
I just hit about 40,000 miles on the Ralliart, and was planning to mod again so I decided it was finally time to do a transmission flush. $500 later for the fluid and new filter from Fred Beans I was flushing my tranny. (Note, yes I should have done it sooner, you should have seen the crap that came out of it) I shifted it through the gears (recommended to me) P-D (Go forward a little) -R (Go backwards a little) and repeat 5 times (Or at least I did) before driving to help the fluid flush anything left in the car also. After the tranny flush and filter change however, the car felt amazing!

Summary: Tranny Flush -$695

~Mid May 2011
It finally started getting nice out again and I was leaving for the desert in June so I wanted to get some last minuet modding in before I left. I bought an ETS intercooler $500, UR UICP $150, COBB intake $90, Grimmspeed EBC $125, Forge WasteGate $125, DW 800cc Injectors $125, 2x Walbro FP (I’ll explain in a little) $150, Inline fuel filter $90, 2x New Spark Plugs Sets $180, New Tires (For when I got back) $820, Lowering Springs $350 and a MAP E85 tune!

First off I’d like to give a big thanks to Jordan, Nick and Chris at MAP for the understanding and help they put into this. The tuning experience was a unique one we had a MAP. I scheduled the whole day just in case, and unfortunately we did need it and were there from about noon to midnight on the Dyno. First everything was going good, getting some base pulls. Then the ECU bricked!!!! So that was an hour delay un-bricking the ECU. Then when we got it back up and running, the car would just start going lean and we had NO idea why. So we ended up testing everything and finally swapped the Relay with another one and replaced the fuel pump and it worked (After about 2 hours of trial and error, and a HUGE thanks to the owner of MAP using his Evo X as a donor car to test parts) So on the 39th dyno pull (Yes, it was a long night!) we finally got everything dialed in so that way the car ran and didn’t slip, and that everything was functioning the way it should.

Summary: All in all, Parts cost -$2705

Deployment (June 2011 – June 2012)
-As of December 12, 2011
So far, being deployed, I’ve been OK on spending money towards my car. I’ll let you folks be the judge of that however… lol. I have to thank my friend Thomas for taking care of my car for me while I’m gone. So far however, I have gotten a few goodies for the car. Gauge Pod, AEM Wideband and Boost gauge $465, Unknown not telling anyone what this expense is just yet $3970, and FP Red w/ DP and External Tial Wastegate $1300. That’s not to bad right? ($5735)

-January 2012 - June 2012
Bought some more goodies, a custom exhaust is being made, Manifold, HIDS, and DW 1300cc injectors. The car should getting operated on over the next 2 months, and we are praying surgery goes well . It was also decided between my friend Thomas and I that we shouldn't touch the internals for now and should do everything else around it. I caved in and also bought GSC S2 Springs and Cams for $550 and Stance Coilovers for $1500.

Winter of 2012-2013
I returned from my deployment and continue the surgery on my car. Ran into some unique problems because of that "unknown expense". Oh I should mention it now, the unknown expense was the first full manual swap to an 09 Ralliart that I know of. Yes, my car is now a manual. The biggest problem we ran into was some of the wiring from the SST shifter. The car is outfitted with the GSR transmission, transfer case, front axels, clutch assembly, ACT stage 3 clutch, and Evo X ECU,.

So about March 2013 the majority of items were done with the car. Butttt, then I got deployed again.

Summer 2013 - March 2014
During my deployment I had my roommate truck the car over to a rising import shop in Fargo ND called Sandbecks Race Development. While I was enjoying my deployment the owner of Sandbecks, Matt, was able to finish up the minor detail on my car and get the Evo X ECU imprinted with my vin.

After the car had the final touches, I decided to bring it to RS Motors in Minneapolis to get it tuned! It took 2 separate sessions because the first session a problem that I couldn't figure out was discovered and resolved. Apparently from the lack of driving a micro filter in the fuel return line clogged up and caused a huge amount of pressure in the return line. This caused a problem for tuning the injectors...

After figuring out the fuel line clog, Ron at RS motors was able to tune my car on both E85 and 93 with amazing numbers. The first pull he did once we got the injectors scaled and tuned, he turned to me and asked what numbers did I want. I just told him that I was shooting for mid 400's.... He looked at me and said, well ****... Apparently the first pull was 500 hp but 300 tq. After that, he did some tweaking and turned down the power and upped the tq without using much timing or MIVEC at all... So the car has a lot more power than I expected needless to say.

So the final numbers for the session
E85 - 460 HP / 360 TQ
93 Oct - 440 HP / 340 TQ

- Retune

Last edited by badreligi0n; Apr 4, 2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like someone is getting ready for a BEAST!
One critique (more of constructive criticism really), why in the world do you not have a WB installed yet?!?! I know you play with guns and all (maybe not so much in the Air Force), but Russian Roulette???
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:13 PM

Cant wait to see what # you put down after the red But with all that power your going to need to upgrade atleast your brake pads, rotors, lines IMO.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Nice build. Im just curious why ur upgrading the turbo if you tuned it conservative with the stock X turbo to save the SST.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

@sstevojr - lol thanks, ill be updating this as this thread as i go along. And yea, i know, im good at that game

@Erockin - Yea, i do want to upgrade my brakes sometime soon, i was going to buy a bracket from NFS but he crashed his ralliart :[... Or was crashed into, and stopped the projects. haha Hell, im still on stock break pads, most of my miles are highway between NY and ND

@RalliMark - All im going to say for now is 'Because racecar!'
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

She looks great, can't wait to see future progress!

Minot AFB I take it? I joined in 2006 and was medically discharged Feb of 2007 for heart problems, but had I completed my Tech School I would have been stationed at Grand Forks AFB.

Hua... and thank you for your service bro.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:30 PM
Day

Thanks for the awesome thread and thank you for your service.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

im sure glad your in nd cause then i know someone who went full out on a ralliart and knows alot bout the car handling the mods lol
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:45 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice build! Keep us informed.

You will need bigger injectors and be nearing the limit of the stock MAF housing; I'd recommend upgrading both.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

hey you should hit me up with the x turbo when you do your swap
Old Jan 8, 2012, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

@Brave Zero, Thanks man, you too!

@Day, Thanks!

@Scheides, Thanks! I will keep everyone informed on the progress and what im am doing. Im currently waiting on parts that i ordered over a month ago to continue. Also, I am looking to upgrade the injectors and possibly thinking about going to a velocity stack versus a bigger MAF housing even though i know the tune will change

@Bwanner, Utlize me while you can, i cant promise that i will be in ND for much longer! And Ill let you know first about the the parts i take off before i do any for sale posting
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:35 PM

Nice build so far. I'm about to dive into something like this with my sportback but I'm hesitant with the TC-SST issues. Until someone confirms high HP and TQ with supporting mods on the SST I'm keeping my wallet mostly closed.

Also, where did you get your winter tires? What size are they? All I can find on tirerack is LM-60s for the stock wheel size.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

@Papatel, Honestly, the SST Transmission can hold the Evo X swap no problem in my honest opinion. As long as you properly do the swap and change the fluid in your SST you will be fine.

And i was able to get my tires off of tirerack, 205/60R16 Firestone Winterforce Blackwall w/ 16 x 6.5 Steeles for around 600 with shipping. I dont mind the size difference because 1. i wont be doing anything stupid in my car during the winter and 2. the smaller surface area allows for better traction in the snow. Literally a night and day difference between these and the any type of all-season / summer tires.

Last edited by badreligi0n; Jan 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking forward to your results. My car is undergoing an fp red swap as we speak.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

@Silthos - Nice! Are you doing any other mods to your car also to help support the FP Red?

**Update**
-As of January 13, 2012
Bought some more goodies, a custom exhaust is being made, Manifold, HIDS, and DW 1300cc injectors. The car should getting operated on over the next 2 months, and we are praying surgery goes well . It was also decided between my friend Thomas and I that we shouldn't touch the internals for now and should do everything else around it. So springs + retainers / cams/ internals are on hold for now.

Quick Reply: Badreligi0n's Project Ralliart