Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Are you on the factory tune, petro?

Rich
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope, I'm running Cobb Stage 2 93. Why do you ask?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wemay
I think we're all over thinking this topic (as is the case with most topics on forums). I'm sure that in the world of unpredictable traffic scenarios, we all drive both aggressively and normally over the span of a work week, even those who drive most times, in a conservative manner.
Hmmmm, this is your second post. I'll tell you what, when you've had the car for a solid 6 months come back and we can talk. We'll see how that car drives then

Last edited by sstevojr; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by petro
Nope, I'm running Cobb Stage 2 93. Why do you ask?
Because the 2nd-to-1st click/clunk thing gets better or worse depending on tuned SST tables. It's like a side-effect of table tweaks elsewhere - ones that alter the driving characteristics of the SST.

I've been able to tune out the "clunk" thing (open-source tuning - Base Map stuff), but can't get rid of the audible "click".

As you're on Cobb, though, there's not really anything useful I can contribute...

Rich
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Speaking of the audible click, I can hear it clearly these days. It doesn't sound bad/rough/wrong, it sounds like smooth mechanical parts locking solidly into place (almost like how Hollywood makes a bank vault sound,but not as "big"). Is that the same sound you hear when tranny drops into first, such as at a red light?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
Because the 2nd-to-1st click/clunk thing gets better or worse depending on tuned SST tables. It's like a side-effect of table tweaks elsewhere - ones that alter the driving characteristics of the SST.

I've been able to tune out the "clunk" thing (open-source tuning - Base Map stuff), but can't get rid of the audible "click".

As you're on Cobb, though, there's not really anything useful I can contribute...

Rich

Thanks for the explanation, as it is all pretty foreign to me still. My intercooler and piping just arrived and I am getting ready for a professional tune...so I guess I will see how it goes and/or if there is any difference.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:47 AM

I would see where what you say makes sense with regard to my posting on the subject after owning the RA for more time, except that this car was bought used with 27,500 already under her belt. My point is this, many times, on all manufacturers community forums, subjects begin to run wild with speculation and opinion rather than solidly backed facts.

All should be taken into consideration, including the opinions and speculations posted to help each other. But, let's not get carried away, as some have said, by stating that the tc-sst is crap.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

I think if you re-read this thread, you won't find any such opinions stated... but welcome aboard, anyway.

If we thought the SST was crap, a Ralliart sure would be a poor choice of vehicle!

This thread is more a hangout for the saddo SST enthusiasts/realists... where we can chew over its foibles, likes and dislikes. Mostly so we can see where we go next with tuning/pampering/abusing the thing in just the right way!

Me, I'm totally sold on the SST. I reckon it's very creditable for performance/spirited driving, mates very well with a turbocharged car (no loss of boost on upshift), and has an adequate "automatic simulator" mode up its sleeve.

It's also surprisingly flexible from an ECU-tuning perspective... up to a point.

Anyway, I just forgot where I was going with this - which probably fits in nicely with the "ruminations" theme here. I'm all done ruminating now.

Rich
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Ahhh, so you missed the first 5000 miles of quiet the car begins with, which slowly devolves into the beast we see before us today, You skipped straight to the daily bruiser stage. One of the problems with owners seems to be the thought of "trying to preserve the fragile SST"; this couldn't be further from the truth.
As the car gets broken in noises/mannerisms begin to develop, which initially were perceived as "something is going wrong"; as a result of this, and general internetz misinformation, owners would start to over-baby their cars, hoping to prevent a $10,000 replacement cost (even though the vast majority of the few cases were covered under warranty; sheer number seemed artificially high, but it was really a small percentage, especially for a first gen).
This would actually serve to do the opposite, and cause excessive wear and tear; make no mistakes this tranny was designed and intended for a track going car. It doesn't start to really shine until you cross 3500rpm; BUT due to unwarranted fear some owners NEVER went above 3000rpm, unknowing dooming their cars

Here is an adequate allegory:
Baby bird is captured from a young age and thrown in a cage. It still grows and matures physically, but never experiences the joy of 'flight' (and the corresponding muscle development.
One day the cage is opened, and the bird steps out, ready for it's chance to fly; only to fall to the ground because it never developed the muscle to support itself.
Good Ralliart Owners: Open the cage for daily exercise
Bad Ralliart Owners: Keep it under constant lock and key
Michael Vick: Kicks the bird off a cliff (drag racing from every light)

Sure the RA/MR can be a bit rough around the edges sometimes, but she will take you SOOOO much further than most any car on the road can. The key is figuring out the quirks and learning to work with them; joy is but an ankle twitch away.

Last edited by sstevojr; Apr 26, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Ahhh, so you missed the first 5000 miles of quiet the car begins with, which slowly devolving into the beast we see before us today, You skipped straight to the daily bruiser stage. One of the problems with owners seems to be the thought of "trying to preserve the fragile SST"; this couldn't be further from the truth.
As the car gets broken in noises/mannerisms begin to develop, which initially were perceived as "something is going wrong"; as a result of this, and general internetz misinformation, owners would start to over-baby their cars, hoping to prevent a $10,000 replacement cost (even though the vast majority of the few cases were covered under warranty; sheer number seemed artificially high, but it was really a small percentage, especially for a first gen).
This would actually serve to do the opposite, and cause excessive wear and tear; make no mistakes this tranny was designed and intended for a track going car. It doesn't start to really shine until you cross 3500rpm; BUT due to unwarranted fear some owners NEVER went above 3000rpm, unknowing dooming their cars

Here is an adequate allegory:
Baby bird is captured from a young age and thrown in a cage. It still grows and matures physically, but never experiences the joy of 'flight' (and the corresponding muscle development.
One day the cage is opened, and the bird steps out, ready for it's chance to fly; only to fall to the ground because it never developed the muscle to support itself.
Good Ralliart Owners: Open the cage for daily exercise
Bad Ralliart Owners: Keep it under constant lock and key
Michael Vick: Kicks the bird off a cliff (drag racing from every light)

Sure the RA/MR can be a bit rough around the edges sometimes, but she will take you SOOOO much further than most any car on the road can. The key is figuring out the quirks and learning to work with them; joy is but an ankle twitch away.

Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:29 AM

LOL, Great analogy! Trust me guys, I am in the same camp where I think driving this car like a hybrid is a mistake. What I misunderstood was that we should all be storming the the tarmac 100% of the time because only that is good for the tc-sst. I mix my driving to the tune of a combined 21+- mpg during the workweek and 16+- mpg during spirited weekend jaunts. Also mixing Normal, Sport, Auto and Manual. I once owned a fantastic EVO vlll but after now owning an RA, I can honestly tell you this is the best car I've ever owned. (various V-dubs, a Mini Cooper S, and a WRX included).

Thanks for the welcome guys, glad to be part of the family again.