Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is for engine oil, but the AMS kit is supposed to be good for the SST
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

lol opps I miss read then.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:10 PM

I'm not looking to run a used oil cooler..I don't trust that idea. Just trying to find a solution for mounting. I have not got in contact with my buddy to try to fit the evo 8 oil cooler bracket. Their are many complete oil cooler kits for the evo(ams/stm etc) The issue is mounting location and finding one that works with the windshield reservior...and for those who don't want to drill holes. Their are also many great DIY oil coolers (mishimoto/setrab etc) which i'm looking into.

Heres a great kit..

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...proclassic.htm
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll be running the MAP oil cooler soon.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

I saw the new MAP kit and the Mishimoto kit. They are top mount kits, and look like great options!
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Pictures will be comeing soon when I get home and start this project.. Not to mention the turbo swap.. going to be a very busy weekend..

Also does anyone know exactly what can be monitored from the OBDII, (oil temp, oil pressur, trans temp) because i wanted to moniter the engine oil temp if I could from a digital gauge that plugs into the OBDII.. rather than buying seperate guages for everything..

This ark design gauge says it reads from the OBDII but I dont know for sure if it will read oil temp and pressure.. Just want to moniter befor and after the oil cooler install
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

If you install a sensor it will.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

finally

Ok so I finally got around to this. As stated before I did install the OEM evo x oil cooler with lines.. The main mounting braket from the evo x is good and will work fine with the OEM oil lines. BUT!! one major and game changing obstical is that the oem lines will NOT work.. Well they will if you don't care about the lines hanging down about 3-4 inches below the plastic spash guard thing (see picutes below).. SO I was NOT NOT NOT please with how the lines were ran so I bought new AN -8 braided lines and some sweet (overly expensive) 90* reusable fittings. and ran the lines so they don't hang down.

Sorry I didnt take any pictures of the new fittings and line when I was finished, I was in a hurry to get the bumper back on after spending a few hours tracking down the fittings, lines, and putting them together. But this thread is exactly what it ended up looking like https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...il-cooler.html

So this post is a caution for anyone attemping this, so you dont make the same mistakes I did.. for instance I would not have bought the oem oil cooler that I did, and instead went with some aftermarket cooler and lines for a cheaper price than I ended up paying for everything. But I do have a system that is working and in my opinion is A MUST with any bigger turbo than the stock RA.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Evo X oil cooler  installation Q's-cooler2.jpg   Evo X oil cooler  installation Q's-oilcooler.jpg   Evo X oil cooler  installation Q's-oemlines.jpg  
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Oh and I did have the modify the oem mounting brack a little to accomidate the 90* fittings because they stuck out further than the OEM eye bolt fittings. Just FYI.. Is was no big deal really, took 15 minutes to modify.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice info, thanks!

Rich
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

UPdate

SO one thing I left out was the that I left the original plug in the place of the thermostat.. Thinking that if the plug is left in than the oil will be constantly flowing to the cooler. But after the engine is hot I check the lines and one felt hot and the other cold. Too cold that I dont think the system is working correctly. First I wonder if the feed and return are in the right spot? Im sure I referenced the oem lines when I put in the aftermarket lines.

I have the fitting that is closest to the block as the feed, running to the bottom fitting on the cooler.. Correct me if Im wrong.

Could the cooler be clogged? whats a good way to check?

As you can see in this picture where I ran the feed. and Of course the other end of this feed in ran to the bottom fitting of the cooler.
Attached Thumbnails Evo X oil cooler  installation Q's-oilfeed.jpg  
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Coolers generally flow top-to-bottom, though tbh I'm not sure on this one.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I'm confused on why the OEM lines where too long when they go from the exact same place (the oil filter housing) to the other exact same place (oil cooler) as they do on the Evo 10?

Are you sure your routed them the same as the Evo 10?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I'm confused on why the OEM lines where too long when they go from the exact same place (the oil filter housing) to the other exact same place (oil cooler) as they do on the Evo 10?

Are you sure your routed them the same as the Evo 10?
Puzzling isn't it. Well I was wondering the same thing as to why they don't fit correctly?? Also there is only one way to route them. The oem lines are so rigid that it's impossible to route them any other way. Besides the eyelets on the lines have a small hook on them so they stay in place and cannot be swiveled once installed.

I tried like hell to get those damn lines to budge. NoGo. Suppose I could have bent the lines but that would have just put a kink in it. Screw that, So I just opted to get new lines.

Bryan, do you know the exact flow direction in the cooler? When I loosely hung the cooler up the hoses were lined up dead on, and sat right on there perspective fitting locations.

Feed- closest to bock to bottom of cooler

Return-- front fitting to top of cooler

Last edited by AWDralliart09; Mar 30, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by AWDralliart09
Puzzling isn't it. Well I was wondering the same thing as to why they don't fit correctly?? Also there is only one way to route them. The oem lines are so rigid that it's impossible to route them any other way. Besides the eyelets on the lines have a small hook on them so they stay in place and cannot be swiveled once installed.

I tried like hell to get those damn lines to budge. NoGo. Suppose I could have bent the lines but that would have just put a kink in it. Screw that, So I just opted to get new lines.

Bryan, do you know the exact flow direction in the cooler? When I loosely hung the cooler up the hoses were lined up dead on, and sat right on there perspective fitting locations.

Feed- closest to bock to bottom of cooler

Return-- Furthest front fitting to top of cooler
You would need to look in the FSM.

Also, it sounds like you aren't running the T-stat? I would or your oil will never have a chance to get up to temp or even flow to the cooler at all.

Quick Reply: Evo X oil cooler installation Q's