Notices

ACD C161e code

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACD C161e code

Threw this code last week, but only when it's above 80 degrees outside. don't know why but i could drive her all day long without throwing the symbol on the MFD as long as it's below 80 outside.

anyway took it to the dealer and all they suggested was flush the trans. i told them it's already been done but they still want to drop the pan and take a look. it's out of warranty so any suggestions would be great.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C161e is awc pump failure or something along the lines of that. Not trans. I have same symptoms as you except it comes on for me when it's above 50. Have ur awc pump flushed and refilled
Old May 7, 2013, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

have you checked your fluid level?
Old May 8, 2013, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by stfuad
have you checked your fluid level?
yeah. it's full
Old May 12, 2013, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, has nothing to do with transmission. You can try to have your awc pump/system bled by the dealership, but it is more than likely just on its way to failure.

As the pump motors start to deteriorate, they begin to overheat at higher temps. Gradually the temp at which they fail will drop lower and lower until the warning pops up as soon as you begin to drive the car, no matter the ambient temperature.

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; May 12, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old May 12, 2013, 06:59 PM

Pump for sure , possible your pump motor is acting up. Maybe I can help...
Old May 13, 2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks, but I'm just going to sell it. I have a AM warranty and the dealer is just being a pain in the ***.

But hey my loss is your gain as I have parts to sell
Old May 14, 2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by volksjager
Thanks, but I'm just going to sell it. I have a AM warranty and the dealer is just being a pain in the ***.

But hey my loss is your gain as I have parts to sell
It's not end of the world. Get rebuild kit on eBay and rebuild it than you can sell if you like and get decent money for car in complete working condition.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:21 PM

I got a good deal on trade in. If anyone is interested or knows anyone looking for some winter tires on stock wheels let me know.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...now-tires.html

Also have a Cobb AP forsale as well
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...***-valve.html
Old May 19, 2013, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Just for reference in the future if anyone looks at this thread in the near future.

The C161E code is a "fault" code for the ACD pump. It basically means that the ACD pump has gone into "limp/safe" mode (similar to what the SST does when it overheats). Generally when you get the C161E it means that the pump is on its way out the door. It could also mean that you have low fluid, however upcoming failure is much more common. If it is on its way to failure, shortly after you will get a C161F, which means that the pump has officially failed. Fwiw, I never actually threw a C161F because when the pump was taken off my car, the electric motor for the pump itself was fine. It was just the other components for the pump had failed, (ie. all the seals on the pump were leaking so the pump couldn't sustain pressure).

If anyone has any questions or concerns about the ACD pump please feel free to pm me regarding. After all the crap that I had to go through I feel like an expert on the matter, lmao.

Also check out my thread about my experience with an ACD failure. I have a video up of what my car was doing just before the pump went out.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...wc-system.html

And if you were denied a (powertrain) warranty claim for the ACD pump please follow the link in the following thread and submit a complaint.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-failures.html
Old Jan 2, 2016, 09:41 PM

yo man is it okay to drive on the c161e code for a while without gettin it fixed. it's been about three months and I've driven it moderately. just wondering if I'll screw anything up.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gally
yo man is it okay to drive on the c161e code for a while without gettin it fixed. it's been about three months and I've driven it moderately. just wondering if I'll screw anything up.
You'll be fine to drive it with the code active. That just lets you know that the ACD pump will not be functioning, so there will be no locking function in the center differential. It will behave as a normal open diff. and can be driven without issue.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 01:53 PM

thanks a lot I appreciate it. i guess if the pump is totally failed they'll replace it, but if it's just malfunctioning I'll have to pay for whatever out of pocket. seems stupid since this code is basically telling you the pump is a goner sooner than later anyway.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
You'll be fine to drive it with the code active. That just lets you know that the ACD pump will not be functioning, so there will be no locking function in the center differential. It will behave as a normal open diff. and can be driven without issue.
today for the first time the service light is gone but the Tarmac symbol in the top left corner will blink occasionally. also the S-AWC display usually has a dash in the center. this will disappear while the Tarmac symbol blinks and reappear when the Tarmac symbol is solid. any idea what this new experience is?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Take it to the dealer, the acd pump is covered under an extended 10 yr warranty from the factory. They'll just replace the pump.

Quick Reply: ACD C161e code