Notices

REQUEST: Narrowband AFR Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question REQUEST: Narrowband AFR Gauge Install

I just want to say first off, I don't want to read posts about how dumb, stupid and "rice" it is to have a narrowband AFR gauge. I know all this. It is MUCH more productive to install a Wideband AFR gauge. This gauge will not be used to tune/test my car. I bought this gauge practically dirt cheap, and will just take up a spot on my gauge pod until I can afford to install a wideband AFR gauge. Understood. Moving on...

I've looked, searched, and RE-searched for days. I need to know how to install a narrowband AFR gauge. I'm a noob, so pictures will help. This will also benefit others down the road, to provide such a resource. If it helps, I have the "Autometer Ultra-Lite Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge."

Here are the instructions: http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/0837L.pdf

Red Wire: Connect to a fused and switched 12V positive source
that is turned on and off with the ignition switch

Black Wire: Connect to good engine ground.

Violet Wire: Connect to oxygen sensor signal wire. Connect to
vehicle wiring harness, not oxygen sensor since some oxygen
sensors use shielded wire.
Like I said, I'm a noob. I know this can be easily installed. I just don't know WHERE. A short and quick How-To could help. I was hoping to have something definite before this coming Sunday (9/20), since I will also be installing my boost gauge at the same time. I appreciate everything. I don't take this community for granted, please forgive me if I communicated otherwise.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:51 PM
Account Disabled

you want to use the fuse box inside the cabin (the lil panel you can open bottom left of the steering wheel) to gain your power. You can remove a fuse, put the wire in, and put the fuse over it, or buy a fuse splicer at an auto store.

for my ground wire, i used a sefl tapping screw and mounted it near the hood release.

You should be able to find this wire on the harness of the o2 sensor in the downpipe. Which color is up for debate but i believe its black with white, or a color variance. Trial and error with a splice would be best until you see it working, thus causing minimal damage.

of course this is if you wish to do it alone.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

GREAT info! ^

Originally Posted by secondchace
You should be able to find this wire on the harness of the o2 sensor in the downpipe. Which color is up for debate but i believe its black with white, or a color variance. Trial and error with a splice would be best until you see it working, thus causing minimal damage.

I would rather know which wire, exactly, the O2 sensor signal wire is located and looks like. Also, WHERE and HOW do I get to the downpipe area from inside the car?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:34 AM
Account Disabled

you will have to take the wire into the engine bay (numerous ways to do that) and take it to the downpipe that way.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I see. I know about the hole behind the glove box, is there more? I just want to know if there is a better place to tap through.

If anyone else can elaborate more on what the O2 sensor signal wire looks like, I would appreciate it.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

If you look in the engine bay, you can see where your ECU harness goes through the firewall. Take a piece of metal wire and push through, then go to your cabin. Take off the cover right about your pedals. Take a light and look around and you'll see where the wire has come through. Tape the signal wire to the metal wire and pull it back through the firewall. Then just run it to you O2 sensor on your exhaust.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyGoneEvo
If you look in the engine bay, you can see where your ECU harness goes through the firewall. Take a piece of metal wire and push through, then go to your cabin. Take off the cover right about your pedals. Take a light and look around and you'll see where the wire has come through. Tape the signal wire to the metal wire and pull it back through the firewall. Then just run it to you O2 sensor on your exhaust.

Wow, very nice. Thank you!

Now all I need to know is which wire is the O2 sensor signal wire. Thanks you guys for your help so far. After I know which wire to splice into, I'll be good to go!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

If I'm correct theres only 2 wires on the sensor. Id just try connecting to each one til it works lol
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Well I'll let you know how this goes after this weekend.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toredefine
Wow, very nice. Thank you!

Now all I need to know is which wire is the O2 sensor signal wire. Thanks you guys for your help so far. After I know which wire to splice into, I'll be good to go!
easiest, least destructive, way to test, without actually looking up a schematic, is to get yourself a safety pin and back-probe the connector for the o2 sensor. for some people who are unfamiliar with the terminology, poke the pin into the back of the connector where the wire runs into it. then touch the signal wire from the gauge to the safety pin and if its the right wire, the gauge will work. if its not, remove pin and try another wire. if you want to be really safe, put a very small dab of silicone on the back of the connector when done to seal the wires up completely, not necessary, but an option if you want it. good luck
Old Sep 20, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Good stuff. I didn't have much time today to put the narrowband in. I changed my oil and added a mechanical boost gauge. I didn't do the electrical yet for this gauge either. I have the wire routed to the inside of the dash. So in the next couple days, I'll finish wiring these gauges to the fuse box and the narrowband to the O2 signal wire. I'll update when I get it done.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, well I installed the electrical for my boost gauge, and also hooked everything up for the narrowband gauge. Everything seems to be working fine. I will post pictures up in a couple weeks. I'm going to Tennessee for 4 days starting this Thursday, so I don't have a lot of time between work and packing up to take good pics and maybe try to do a write-up.

The signal wire on the O2 sensor ended up being purplish-blue. There were four wires coming out of the O2 sensor (located on the downpipe) 2 black, 1 white, and finally the purple signal wire. I will update this thread in a couple weeks, or earlier. I also have some questions I'm hoping this community can offer suggestions for. But it's easier to show everyone with pics...

Thanks to the people who helped out so far.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Why didn't you use the second O2 sensor? Plug located under passanger seat.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by speedie
Why didn't you use the second O2 sensor? Plug located under passanger seat.
There are two O2 sensor's on the exhaust. One right ON the catalytic converter and the other one BEFORE the catalytic converter on the down pipe. With research, the best O2 sensor to use is the one located on the downpipe (BEFORE the catalytic converter). The other O2 sensor's primary function is to test the productivity of the catalytic converter, i.e. if it fails, this O2 sensor knows about it.

Which O2 sensor is located/plugged directly under the passenger seat? I'm not sure. I worked under the car so I could get to the O2 sensor on the downpipe.