Notices

How to: Install drop-in air filter

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How to: Install drop-in air filter

Alright guys, for those of you having trouble, hope this helps. Just take it easy on me, this is my first how-to and I do realize that they are cell phone pics, taken at night, with crappy ms paint circles in them.

First of all, I chose the HKS Super Hybrid Filter because I have heard many good things and definitely wanted to go with a dry filter element just in case. And yes, I put the sticker on it that comes in the box 'cause I'm a Dork:
How to: Install drop-in air filter-snc00328.jpg
How to: Install drop-in air filter-snc00330.jpg

So pretty much, the only thing you need to touch in the engine compartment is the actual airbox itself. Start by opening the two metal clamps I have circled in red. Its a thin line, but you should know what I mean if you compare the pic to your engine, just look really close:
How to: Install drop-in air filter-snc00331.jpg

They just lift up from the left hand side and swing upwards to the right. The rear one, about halfway over the top of the box sometimes hits the strut bar, just give it some very slight pressure towards the front of the car and it should be able to swing past. Now it should look like this:
How to: Install drop-in air filter-snc00332.jpg

The next thing you want to do is separate the airbox halves. I already have the filter partially out, just to give some contrasting color so you can see what im talking about. I am also holding it with my fingers so you can see, but what you really want to do it is actually apply a decent bit of pressure both downward (toward the floor) and to the left (toward the engine) to get it apart. What you are doing here is actually using the fact that the turbo inlet hose is flexible and you are collapsing the accordion like section to give you the space you need to get the filter out:
How to: Install drop-in air filter-snc00333.jpg
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

What you're gonna want to do here now, it get the actual filter out of there. I've found the easiest way is to use the ridges on the outer shell of the stock filter for some grip and rotate the front of the filter upward while wiggling it from between the two halves of airbox. Once you've got the whole thing angled upward, you can slip it out towards you. Again, I'm not holding it in the picture the actual way I am telling you to, but I wasnt really thinking; so just do as I say, not as I do, lol:
How to: Install drop-in air filter-snc00334.jpg

Lastly, you'll want to install the new filter in the same manner: tip the rear end downward into the airbox and slide it on in there. If you are doing the HKS filter, make sure the side with the wider flange is to the left facing the motor:
How to: Install drop-in air filter-snc00335.jpg

Make sure you've got it all the way in there. Now the last part is a bit tricky, very important, and nearly impossible to photograph. On the bottom of the airbox, there are tabs that line up the two halves for when they close. If you are skilled enough, you wont have to worry about them, but more than likely, you will. When you go to put the clamps back across the top of the filter, you want to make sure the bottom of the box is lined up properly. Shine a flashlight down in there to make sure you have a flush connection with the filter before clamping, just to make sure. A hint for dealing with that is to make sort of a "V" shape by pressing out at the top and in at the bottom of the airbox halves and slide them back and forth until you feel them "lock" into place, its hard to describe, but once you feel it, you will definitely recognize it. Other than that, put the clamps back over the top of the filter and you're good to go. Again, my first how-to so take it easy on me please, any other help I can offer, I'd be glad to answer questions. Any comments or criticism is gratefully appreciated and will only help if I ever do another one of these.
The following users liked this post:
Lightsaber (Jul 26, 2018)
Old Nov 21, 2009, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
So when exactly does the man handling come into play? I was looking forward to seeing that...

Srs though,
Awesome write-up Very thorough, and now I have to go check that the bottom of my filter box is lined up correctly. I'm pretty sure it is, but now I'm just paranoid...thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitRA
So when exactly does the man handling come into play? I was looking forward to seeing that...
Manhandling comes in play any time you touch the filter.

Just to add, try to remember how much force is needed to unclip the airbox. If you put the filter back in and it is easier to clip then it was to unclip, then you probably didn't latch the bottom part back together.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Hey thanks for the write up 03chi-town0Z, much appreciated. I just installed the HKS filter following your instructions. Was actually very easy. The clamps unlock without too much pressure at all and the same when closing them up after installation. Not sure what you mean about those tabs you were referring to but everything seems to fit snug. Thanks again.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

no prob, you're welcome. basically as long as you can poke your finger at the lower part of the airbox and it doesnt move around a lot, and the car doesnt make a whooshing sound on acceleration (its a drop in, not a cai or sri, it shouldnt be much louder than stock) you should be fine.

and i know most people will joke and laugh about how silly it is to even post a write-up like this, but for some people, their lancer may be the first car they've even bothered to look under the hood, let alone attempt to change something. and it can be a bit intimidating, for a beginner, doing even the smallest things, but that's why this community is here, for help. so for those of you who can use this how-to and this may be your first mod ever, or just the first mod youve ever done for this car, congratulations and good luck
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

just installed my works filter .... there was a little snap to the clips after i put the filter in, it looks snug and flush.

if i put it in wrong, there wouldn't be a snap, and it would be pretty loose.....that sounds like i got the bottom clips on correctly, right? (sorry OCDing that i may have done it wrong)
Old Dec 11, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xdmitrix
just installed my works filter .... there was a little snap to the clips after i put the filter in, it looks snug and flush.

if i put it in wrong, there wouldn't be a snap, and it would be pretty loose.....that sounds like i got the bottom clips on correctly, right? (sorry OCDing that i may have done it wrong)
should be fine if you had some slight tension when you snapped the box back together. just get a flashlight and check the bottom compared to the top, the two halves will be noticably further apart if you did it wrong
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:59 AM

awesome. great job
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

So I just installed mine and did notice a louder sucking noise. I did however when shift hear like a whistle/sucking sound? Is this normal or is it not flush? I double checked it but it is dark outside.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

i answered in the other thread too, but in case anyone else using this guide has the same question;

for the sucking noise on accel, how much louder? like just a bit or does it sound like you put on a full cold air intake kit with a cone filter, etc. if its that loud, you likely havent completely seated the airbox correctly during reassembly causing air to rush into the turbo inlet, past the sides of the filter, which will cause damage in the long run, but really wont hurt as long as you fix it before letting it go too long. just double check that everything is snug near the bottom of the airbox and that the filter and both halves of the box are vertical and parallel, and you should be fine

on the shift noise, seems like you're fine there as well. it sounds like you are likely hearing a bit of the factory diverter valve (bpv) like a quick high pitched whoosh of air? thats it, it actually serves the same purpose as the ever-popular blow-off valves everyone loves to install, just much quieter operation from the factory for noise pollution/customer satisfaction/etc.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys just did this too. Thanks for the write-up. I ended up installing a K&N filter. It was really easy and the box seems really snug. If there isn't any play at all does that mean im good to go? When i rev the engine in neutral i hear the air box a little. Nothing compared to the noise a regular intake or sri puts out but still noticable. When im driving i dont really hear anything like that though. Only the normal turbo and stock bov sounds. I donr thinks its any louder than before.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

you should be just fine. the problem is at the bottom of the box, and if you look down there with a flashlight you will see if there's a gap. sometimes it can feel snug up top but still be open down there, but if you dont get the cone filter whoosh sound then its usually sealed up properly.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks double checked a little bit ago. Had to adjust the bottom now I am positive there is no gap and the clips on top are really tight now. The sound is noticable but now i know it is a little more quiet. I feel better lol.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

awesome write up! I was installing my K&N filter and couldnt get the dang stock filter out but after i read your thread, it was much easier. Im going to double check with the flashlight tomorrow but hopefully everything is okay

Quick Reply: How to: Install drop-in air filter