Notices

Custom 2nd Tranny Cooler Install

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom 2nd Tranny Cooler Install

So I've been thinking of where and how to post this up. Is it for the TC-SST forum, Show&Shine, Evo X How-To, etc. Well I've decided to land it here and Mods if you choose to move please send me an IM so I can find it, thanks!
Anywho, on to the main event:
Lately I've decided that I want to start taking HPDE classes and start doing track event (not Redline, obviously, but something beginner ) But my biggest draw back is the stock suspension and the tranny; I don't think either one is at a level where I can go to the track w/o having to worry about seriously damaging something, so I wanted to get the car into what I consider to be a more "ready" state.
Well I've installed coilovers, f/r sway bars, bushing inserts, and camber adj kits. I've found a shop that will help me dial it all in (for a reasonable price), and once NSF finishes the BBK brackets and SS lines, I feel this area will be more than adequate for what I'm looking for.
So that leaves the tranny. I dont have a LOT of power (yet.....) but I do worry about over heating, which is the known enemy of tracking any SST-type equipped vehicle. Like all of you I see the various kits offered, but I just cant swing a $1K plus install for them (realistic pricing more in the $1.5-1.8 realm all said and done). RRE DOES offer a great solution, of upgrading the tranny w/ a 2nd cooler and its reasonable priced at $700 INSTALLED
However, being the type of guy I am, I prefer a more hands on approach. I sit in an office all day, and class at night; so my time to relax on the weekend invariably involves some project with the car
Here is this past weekend's project:
2nd Tranny Cooler for $200, INSTALLED
[IMG][/IMG]

EDIT:
$200 is only for the cooler and odds and ends. It does not include the SSP inline filter or new fluid, which I HIGHLY recommend if you are going to attempt this

Last edited by sstevojr; Mar 29, 2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

I've thought about it, and I'm not sure I want to put a step by step detailed FAQ on this.The reason being is while this isnt extremely difficult, its not something that should be attempted by some noob trying to cut corners. Thats not the intention of this. What I want to do is empower those in the community who are inclined with the knowledge to be able to attempt a project like this. There NEEDS to be a viable option for those of us who dont want to spend $1.5-2K on something like this. I'm NOT trying to take from the pro's who do this work (God Bless you all for making this a possibility in the first place!!!), but at the same time those of us who PREFER to do projects on our own should know whats available.
SO here's what it is:
Mishimoto Heavy Duty Tranny Cooler w/ various odds and ends:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
And some pics for reference:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
VIDEOS, FINAL INSTALL:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Hope you all ENJOY!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by sstevojr; Mar 29, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:22 PM

good idea ... i hope it works as well as you hope it to
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:29 PM

Nice. They also make a tranny cooler without the fan for $90. The dimensions might be a little different have to check. Great on a budget idea. Also interested in the engine oil cooler they make.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I'm thinking of picking up their sandwich plate and an Evo X oil cooler, and running it that way.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:36 PM

MISHIMOTO Tranny oil cooler with out the fan $90
Thickness: 3/4"
Length: 15 1/2"
Height: 5"
Core: 12"
Fitting Size: 3/8" Push On

Universal Transmission Cooler Includes Transmission cooler, Hose, 4 Plastic Ties, 4 Plastic tie connectors, 4 foam pads, 4 O-ring clamps, 1 drain **** connector
Note: Custom work may be required for fitment and function.

MISHIMOTO tranny oil cooler with fan $175
Overall Size
Height - 5.5"
Length - 12.5"
Thickness - 3.25"
Inlet - .34"
Outlet - .34"
Rows - 2

Kit Includes:
- Transmission Cooler
Nipple End Size: 3/8 Push-On
- 8" Electric Fan
CFM: 1100
RPM: 2800
Amps: 4
- Mounting Hardware
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:40 PM

Like your idea. Just made want to spend money I don't have. I like to know the size diff. between their eng. oil cooler and oem evo x eng. oil cooler considering mishimoto cooler with ss lines is $265 and new oem is around $400-500 without lines.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

^I was referring to OEM used oil coolers. There are a few shops on here who are always selling odds and ends, and the oil cooler is usually around $125-150 used.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:48 PM

Yeah i know you where refering to the oem. Its hard to come across a used oil cooler they sell quick. $265 is not too bad considering they already include ss lines..don't know what exact fitting would be needed?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

It says -8an on the site
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by sstevojr
It says -8an on the site
What size does the oem use? Also how much more fluid did you have add for the tranny cooler?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

It doesnt hold much more, so I guesstimated at .5 liter, thats including the lines and all.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

In regards to the tranny cooler, I'd go with the unit w/ the fan. The whole point of this unit is to cool down the oil in between track runs. So for me turn on my fogs (haha, that still cracks me up!) and a really strong fan turns on. That fan is powerful, more force than the radiators at what, 1/6the size?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by sstevojr
It doesnt hold much more, so I guesstimated at .5 liter, thats including the lines and all.
Not bad.Don't feel like spending $100 on diaqueen right now. Hows the car been driving... any noticable differences in pressure when shifting etc. Like to know how this works out for you. ill be interested in doing it soon.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Seems to shift smoother, but the real test will be on the track/in the canyon. The goal is to prevent overheating, thereby reducing wear and tear

Quick Reply: Custom 2nd Tranny Cooler Install