Notices

Center console trim

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center console trim

I'm trying to remove some of the center console trim to get access behind the dash and to the wiring grommet in the firewall, but either I am incompetent, or this is more difficult than it seems at first.

The trim in question is #23 in this diagram:

I had no problems with the single screw shown on the diagram and the 3 clips, but the rearmost part where it runs behind the center console just will not budge. There aren't any on the diagram, but it feels like there might actually be screws holding it on.

Everything I've found on this forum and elsewhere glosses over this part like it is the easiest thing in the world, but I am hesitant to just start pulling on things. I'm painfully new to doing any sort of work on cars, and would prefer not to make a complete hash of it and be left with a bunch of broken bits. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty sure there are screws in there. I did the same thing, pulled and pulled....then realized I had to move the shifter part to reveal the screws. And you are not crazy, it seems they do not indicate screws in the service manual.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:01 AM

At least I'm not losing my mind. Guess I'll have to pull up one of those lovely guides to taking apart the center console this weekend and see if I can get at those screws.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

I made one awhile back that should have some pictures. Just look for threads that I started. I think it is the radio relocation thread.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I left that piece on and worked from the outside-in. Pushed and fed through the grommet from the engine bay and then pulled through into the passenger compartment. Had just enough room to reach a small hook up and grab the looped end of the coat-hanger that the wire was strapped to. Yes, using a coat hanger is ghetto, but it works exceptionally well.