Notices
09+ Ralliart Show and Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Swagger Wagon Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swagger Wagon Build Thread

I figured I would start my own build thread since I'm planning to go a different direction than others with build threads. If your looking for a thread to help you build the fastest Ralliart on the strip, track or Auto-X this isn't it. There will be performance parts discussed as I'm a firm believer in Function over Form (but more Function first, Form second), however I don't have any issues doing things that are all form as long as they don't have a negative function.

Ill start by recapping what Ive already done.

Tein Springs
Blacked out front ring and window trim
K&N drop in filter
Various versions of the GTS Basemap - Currently running V2 93 Oct Stock Pill

On to the new stuff and the future

Rota Grid - 18x8.5 +44 from www.wheeldude.com I have to say these guys are good people and have great customer service. I sent emails back and forth to Tommy for close to a month before buying the wheels. Once I got them the center caps didn't fit because of the hub, but Tommy was quick to fix the problem and send me a new set that fit perfectly. Id recommend them to anyone looking for a set of wheels.

TWM Abrams RL Shift Knob

More info can be found here

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...hift-knob.html

EBC Slotted and Dimpled Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Pads, AMS Braided Brake Lines

This (minus the lines) actually ended up being a huge pain to order and get, installation only had one small hiccup. I originally ordered these off a website that had the lowest price. When I ordered them I was expecting to get gold rotors based off the EBC website. However when they arrived they were black. After some back and forth with the website and EBC is was determined that the rotors and pads that were sent to me were incorrect. After a couple weeks the correct parts were sent to me, unfortunately they were still black. Not a huge deal but I really wanted gold to match the wheels.

The rotors and pads went on fine, however the front lines were tough. For some reason there is a large amount of rust already built up on the car and I only have 6k miles. The lines had rust on the connections as well as up into the threads which made it very difficult to get off even using a line wrench. However, once they were off the AMS lines went on without much issue.

Fronts

With the wheel

Rear

In case you didn't notice the dimples and slots are different between the rotors. The fronts are all black, the rears have been machined after being anodized. Ill be inquiring to EBC about this. However, after about 5 miles the black has already been worn away from where the pads sit. What is nice though is that everything else on the rotor is still black so it sets the rims off a bit better.

Part numbers
Front rotors.. GD7336
Rear rotors.. GD1576

Front pads.. DP3954C - from an Eagle Talon
Rear pads.. DP31407C - from a Montero (according to the boxes)

Ultimate Racing TBE
Currently I only have the Cat Back section on. I don't have my wideband yet and I want to be able to continue to run the GTS Basemap so I kept the DP and Cat section off for now.

When I heard people talk about how loud the exhaust is I figured most of them were just being too sensitive, however it is a loud exhaust. My old GTI had catless downpipe to full 3" with just a Magnaflow muffler and it wasn't this loud. However, I'm not sure I don't like it. Ive only had about 20 min of driving with it on so I'm going to reserve judgment, also until i put the DP and midpipe on.

I don't have pics of it yet as it was close to dark when we got finished installing it.

License Plate Frame
I have all the parts to build Version 2.0 of the plate frame I had on my GTI

Frame is done!

Parts left to install

G2 Caliper paint

Trying to decide between blue and black, have both sitting in my room

AMI A Pillar pod
Waiting for it to arrive, should be here in the next couple weeks. Will be installing analog boost gauge and wideband.

Edit 10/2/10

My sweet new custom gauge pod

Actually its just a temporary pod until my AMI pillar comes in. Both gauges are AEM analog gauges (Boost and AFR). I like that both gauges are electrical and we didn't have to run a vacuum tube from the T to the gauge.

I used the serial cable and serial to USB adapter from Mellon tunning to be able to data log the AFR gauge. The USB connection is run to behind the panel to the left of the steering wheel.

Rally Armor UR Mud Flaps

Got these installed these today, it was dark after I was done so no pictures yet. Ill have them up soon, but it makes the car look different.

A/B/C Pillar customization
Expanding on a project I started on with my GTI

Parcel Shelf customization
A reworking of a mod Ive seen in the JDM crowd

Super Secret Project 1
In the idea phase right now. Ill add more info as it progresses.

This project is a go and Ill be updating the thread more with progress as it happens. However, I wont be actually saying what it is until its closer to being done.

Step 1: Order Material
Step 2: Order mounting solution - DONE
Step 3: Construction
Step 4: Accesories
Step 5: Paint/Powder

Super Secret Project 2

In the idea phase right now. Ill add more info as it progresses.

Last edited by DaJackson; Oct 29, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:22 PM
Account Disabled

Car looks great.

I like the spikes! Just be careful in the front while walking around the car. :P

- Bryan
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

The car looks great man. If you don't mind me asking. Where did you get the EBC rotors from?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Car looks great.

I like the spikes! Just be careful in the front while walking around the car. :P

- Bryan
Thanks...I'm surprised you saw the ones in the front. The pics I took didn't come out great so I didn't post them. However, because of the way the front end sits they actually sit flush with the top of the bumper so its difficult to get poked.

Originally Posted by boondoc
The car looks great man. If you don't mind me asking. Where did you get the EBC rotors from?
I got them from AJUSA.com (i think thats it, definitely had AJ in the name) None, of the issue was really their fault, EBC had the wrong parts listed in their catalog. I used a coupon they advertised on their site when I bought them, then the correct parts actually ended up being more expensive, but they didn't charge me anything more and they actually gave me a bit of a discount for the trouble. So overall I think I paid about 75-100 less than I should have for all the rotors and pads.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Thanx. One more question, GD7379(front) & GD7381(rear) Are these the part numbers?

Nevermind i got it.

Last edited by boondoc; Sep 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Love the title
Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boondoc
Thanx. One more question, GD7379(front) & GD7381(rear) Are these the part numbers?

Nevermind i got it.

Front rotors.. GD7336
Rear rotors.. GD1576

Front pads.. DP3954C
Rear pads.. DP31407C

These are the part numbers that I was given by Chris at EBC. Front pads are from a Talon, and the rears are from a Montero, according to the stickers on the box.

Originally Posted by EvoIX2240
Love the title
haha, honestly I haven't come up with a good name for the car yet. I figured this was a good enough temporary solution, but if it wasn't associated with the Toyota Sienna I would probably keep it.

Last edited by DaJackson; Sep 7, 2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

good to see another sportback very nice indeed
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaJackson
Front rotors.. GD7336
Rear rotors.. GD1576

Front pads.. DP3954C
Rear pads.. DP31407C

These are the part numbers that I was given by Chris at EBC. Front pads are from a Talon, and the rears are from a Montero, according to the stickers on the box.
I already have the pads. But thank for the correct rotor numbers.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:42 AM

Great lookin S.B. man
Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor

That shift knob is pretty sweet!

Last edited by EricJ@AMS; Sep 7, 2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: catn speel wurth a dam.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks hot, i'd go with the black calipers... i just painted my calipers and oem rotor hubs black looks pretty nice on my RG sport back
Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

car looks great, a few questions

why the "dimple" rotors and also why color rotors. is the paint high temp? im guessin its just for looks. and do braided brake lines add that much of a diff?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

License plate frame is done, unfortunately it will be a few days before I can get pics.

Originally Posted by robyn402
looks hot, i'd go with the black calipers... i just painted my calipers and oem rotor hubs black looks pretty nice on my RG sport back
Yeah I'm leaning towards black, just need to wait for it to cool down to spend the day painting them.

Originally Posted by eyekyu
car looks great, a few questions

why the "dimple" rotors and also why color rotors. is the paint high temp? im guessin its just for looks. and do braided brake lines add that much of a diff?
Dimples help to let gas escape under hard braking. Cross drilled rotors do this as well, however most affordable cross drilled rotors are drilled after the rotor is cast which lowers the strength of the rotor.

The black anodizing helps to prevent rust on non braking surfaces. It also looks better in my opinion. Its not paint, its anodized.

Braided lines do not expand under heavy breaking like the stock rubber lines do. It helps in pedal feel too. Braided lines made a huge difference in my GTI, but on the Ralliart is wasn't as profound, however still an improvement.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:29 PM

im liking the wagon, looks great with the blue n gold...

Quick Reply: Swagger Wagon Build Thread