Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS 3" tb *VS* APS 3.5" tb

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS 3" tb *VS* APS 3.5" tb

so i was looking at ams's site and it looks like they have an awesome deal on the stage 1 thingy anyway, there exhaust looks really nice also, anyone use this exhaust, if so how is it? but my question is, if i plan to upgrade the turbo in the near future, WILL i be able to use the 3.5 inch dp on a after market turbo set-up, it seems like every turbo set-up comes with a 3"dp that "is made for" the turbo set-up, and also looks like the wastegate dumps back into the dp. so say the 3.5 in dp does mount to the aftermarket turbo, then will i just have to have the wastegate dump to the aptmosphere?

so my questions are...
1) how is the ams tb(with test pipe) in terms of quality, sound, and performance

and

2) if i plan to go with an aftermarket turbo set-up, is it just simpler (sp?) to go with a 3" exhaust

edit** assuming i dont need/what a crazy amount of horse power

thanks
jared

Last edited by simple_mr2; Sep 4, 2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

the sound of 3.5 APS is amazing!
Old Sep 5, 2005, 04:55 PM

define awesome...

what exhaust does it sound like... i just heard the helix and i am in lovvvvve, i dont like it when exhaust sound "like stock" or are rather quiet, what does the aps sound like after 4.5k?, loud?

jared
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

I heard the APS 3.5" exhaust today and i think i may be sold, its so deep and nice sounding. My only worry is maybe loosing low end tq, or actually decreasing in power, but by searching around and finding many results, dont see anything to this sort. And i love the sound, and i would be paying about the same for another exhaust like the JIC or HKS with full TBE setup.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 06:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudy
My only worry is maybe loosing low end tq, or actually decreasing in power, but by searching around and finding many results, dont see anything to this sort.
That could be a genuine concern with a N/A engine, but things work differently with a turbo engine, and a larger exhaust should not cost you anything (although it may not necessarily gain anything either).
Old Dec 16, 2005, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

If you're ready to spend the nearly $1300 on the APS TBE I'd check into the HorsepowerFreaks exhaust. I absolutely love mine, it sounds so incredibly meaty. The cat-back is under $700 and the downpipe-back is $749. 3.5" piping expanding into a 4" inlet muffler.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pric...xhaust_Systems

Tom
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a clip of my car showing all of the HorsepowerFreaks parts just installed and good sound clips of the full 3.5" exhaust. I am still on a completely stock tune and running great. Not sure where the whistling noise came from in the video but it wasn't coming from my car. Check it out here: http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/vide..._EVO_Parts.wmv

Tom
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

I had the AMS Turbo back with cat installed last week on my IX nd then put the test pipe on that day after I got it home, I had the Vishnu signiture exhaust on my VIII. Both of these exhausts are exelent. The AMS is a very nice deep growl, not as loud as the Vishnu but still a great deep tone. For the money between the APS and the AMS I would go with AMS. I think the 3.5 APS is a little overkill myself.

Besides go with the AMS and do thier Tirbo Kit upgrade. Then everything will fit perfect!
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

I have the AMS turboback and I love the sound. Its not too loud to the point of being annoying, its a good deep sound. I know the AMS turbokit comes with a new downpipe, as the normal downpipe wont fit the turbokit. That is why most kits come with a new downpipe, so chances are the 3.5" wont fit any turbokit you buy. ALso, i think most exhausts out there are 3" because its really all you need until you get to very high hp numbers. One more plus to the AMS, its all stainless steel including the flanges and hangers...that was a selling point for me as I live in wisconsin where we dump tons of salt on the roads.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
isn't it with biger pipe you looses the mid end, but you will gain the top end??
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Not with a turbo car - there are no losses. A turbo car at any given power level will respond favorably to a larger volume exhaust system, to a point whereby going larger makes no difference.

Normally aspirated cars respond very differently and have entirely different exhaust design criteria.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Why even bother with a 3.5" kit if you're going to slap on some rediculous louvered muffler? The effective flow will be less than a perf. core 3" muffler.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Here is the info regarding the muffler. You really only need to watch the first part, the vacuum portion of the video. As the air passes back into the muffler via the aero chamber the air is accelerated causing a low pressure zone or vacuum within the exhaust, decreasing turbo lag, increasing power, and improving gas mileage. This muffler has years of research into its design and was chosen specifically for its performance in high horsepower turbocharged applications.

Edit: Also, the muffler is 4" in and 4" out and the piping expands to 4" just before the muffler inlet. This system FLOWS.

www.aero-turbine.com/video/aero_sm.wmv

Tom

Last edited by Tom Sawyer; Dec 28, 2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:53 PM
EvoM Guru

That's what Splitfire used to claim about their plugs . . .
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

If you're interested in more details, see here: www.aero-turbine.com.

Tom