Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

For all those with a CEL and no cat

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all those with a CEL and no cat

hope this is useful to some people on here that are running without a catalyst, and get VERY irritated with a CEL clogging their cluster.

From the looks of it, this is the same thing Perrin uses to eliminate the CEL with their cat-delete kit...

check it out, hope this helps everyone!

http://www.casperselectronics.com/cg...roduct=IMPORTS
Old Feb 1, 2004, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, there are alot of different companies that make them.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...28&prmenbr=361

Here's another link for those DIYs out there:

http://www.rodney.chalker.com/o2_simulator.htm
Old Feb 1, 2004, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will these O2 eliminators kick off an 0139....O2 sensor slow to respond...? Kastle's Korner sent me an O2 eliminator as part of a beta group to try out. I installed it and it then kicked the CEL on with the 0139, so in other words it did not work, it just replaced the 0420 with the 0139. Has anyone actually tried one of these systems out?
Old Feb 1, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by joeycoates
Will these O2 eliminators kick off an 0139....O2 sensor slow to respond...? Kastle's Korner sent me an O2 eliminator as part of a beta group to try out. I installed it and it then kicked the CEL on with the 0139, so in other words it did not work, it just replaced the 0420 with the 0139. Has anyone actually tried one of these systems out?
I think this seems to happen every time. I would love to know if anyone has had luck not getting a CEL at all?
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

If anyone has one that doesn't spark any CEL please let me know

I'm looking for one also if anyone gets one to work without any cel please let me know I like one too.

Volunteer
Old Feb 9, 2004, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

My SEL has been on steadily for about a month now. I think perhaps the soldering job I did fell apart in a rainstorm. If that is not the case, then I am kind of disappointed in my UR delete pipe.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Anybody have a mil eliminator other than the one that comes from perrin?
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice
i brought a scan tool for my labtop to turn off the cel light
it also logs fuel, oil ,etc
$59 on ebay
Old Feb 9, 2004, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

I have an extra kicking around that comes with the Perrin cat delete if anyone wants it. Im looking for $50 shipped if you're interested. PM me.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't found one that works yet.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

I can't believe there is no diy mod yet copying the perrin one. Shouldn't we just need the static resistance of the thing and then make our own?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one my local shop made works fine.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

I have one my local shop made works fine.

Insidious,

Do you get any Cel codes witht he one they made up for you. If not I'd like to get the number to the shop and ask them to make one up for me. Thanks for the input.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think this has been mentioned in the Evoutionm forums yet, but I've had a lot of success with a "mechanical" method that basically only allows the 2nd O2 to see a very small amount of exhaust gas, which it in turn translates this as a working cat. Therefore not tripping the CEL even with a cat bypass. I'm not sure how some of the vendors who sell pipes with guarantees do it, but I'd imagine it is something similar.

Before installing this, my car used to set off the CEL on the 2nd key cycle after a few miles on the highway. After the installation of this piece, I havn't had a CEL yet. This included a 2500 mile drive down to California for 3 straight track days.

Here's how it to do it:

1) Buy a set of 18mm Spark Plug Anti Foul Adaptors from the autoparts store. I got my from Schucks/Kragen/Checker and it came in a pair in the little red "Help" packages. These things are designed for cars that are burning oil and fouling it's plugs.

2) Drill out the small hole of one of the plugs to 1/2" diameter. This will allow the O2 sensor to screw into the plug while a tiny bit of room surrounding the sensor.

3) Screw either 1 or both adaptors together into the 2nd O2 bug on the cat back. Carefully screw the O2 sensor in. Don't overtighten since the adaptors are now pretty thin walled due to the 1/2" drilling.

4) Reset ECU by pulling the 2 ECU fuses in the fuse box under the hood (20amp and 15amp).

Pictures below.

Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That one diagram doesn't look right to me. It seems that you would want to put a resistor in the data line to lower the overall voltage seen by the ECu, thus leaning out the reading. This is what Derek is essentially doing above. Inline will still allow fluctuation in the reading so the slow to respose code should not happen. I will look at it tomorrow and see if I can recommend design that will work if someone wants to test it.

Quick Reply: For all those with a CEL and no cat