Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Issues with starting/coils

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues with starting/coils

Alright,

So i gone thru everything I can possibly think of to diagnose this problem.
The car was starting fine, I took it for a drive one night, seemed like one of my coils (cyl#4) fouled...again, so I limped it back to the garage. I replaced the coil, but then the car wont start at all, it turns over, just doesnt fire up.
I have new plugs, new coils, and now a newer HKS DLI with a new harness, and still won't start. I pulled the plugs and smelt fuel, so i'm guessing that the motor is getting fuel and its not the fuel pump. What else could it be ? a sensor ? a setting somewhere on the EMS?
I've checked every harness to make sure everything is connected, the coils are in the right spot, the plug wires are correct, fuses are good..............I just dont know.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Never had any issues like that with my aem unit.

Did you check the various fuses on the car?

Bump for you.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:17 PM

first time my car wouldnt start it was a fuse, I replaced it...........Started car a few times successfully after that trying to troubleshoot the coil issue, and then it didnt want to start again, but this time all the fuses are good
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:50 AM

Is there a way to check codes or sensors (cam sensor, cranshaft sensor) on the EMS ?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 09:09 PM

ok, so i ordered factory coils, came in today, installed them. Now my coil for cyl #2 and #3 is not getting a signal. The car starts, but runs in limp mode. I pulled the plug on the coil for cyl#2 and the car stays running, while when I pull the plug on coil for cyl#4 the car stalls. I swapped coils, and it does the same thing. I dont think I am getting a good signal for the coil on cyl#2. I pulled my ECU and was inspecting the wires and I found two wires that had cuts on them. One was a black wire, that I traced back to the ground on the coils (from the wiring diagram), and the other red/yellow wire (goes to the 02 sensors). Could a bad ground have something to do with this ? Why is it only affecting one coil ? Pics are on this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...eshooting.html
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you try installing the stock ecu and seeing if the coil 2 get's a signal??
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:38 AM

I really would like to try that or even get someones AEM EMS and try it, but no one around me has either one, and the few folks i've asked seem kind of hesitant to let me try... even after offering to pay for their entire trip down here. I am beginning to think that my coil driver(s) burnt or something in the EMS is not functioning. I heard I can send it to AEM and pay $50 for a test to see if anything is wrong. I might just have to bite the bullet and do that, since I can't get assistance from those close to me. What'd u think ? Send to AEM ?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

I would send the ECU to AEM. Looking at wiring diagrams of the Evo’s Ignition system, it looks like there are only three wires you need to check . Ground, 12V and Trigger that connects to the ecu. Test for continuity for the trigger and ground, and verify you have a 12 volt on the power side. If that all checks out then it’s got to be the ECU. Also Have you try reinstalling the firmware on the ecu.. That can help in some cases. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Oh and your not getting a trigger signal from the ECU. The DLI light will not light up.. Just a FYI

Last edited by awdboosted; Dec 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks awdboosted....I have checked those three wires and there is continuity in the trigger and ground, and I am getting about 12.05v on the power side. I called AEM today and they suggested I try to manually trigger the coil outputs to see if the ECU was calling for the coil to spark. After I run the test, I should be able to clearly see that is indeed the coil driver (hopefully).
The tech guy did mention that this AEM 1313 ECU comes with two spare drivers, and if I do have a bad coil driver, I should switch from coil driver #1 and 2 ----> #3 and 4, and change the pins on the ECU, and transfer the ignition phasing values from ign tooth #1,2,6,7 ---> to #3,4,8,9. Is there anything else I should check or change ?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget to try and reinstalling the firmware.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:55 PM

Well, I did the coil trigger output test that AEM suggested to see if the coil drivers came out ok. Both coild drivers seem fine. The funny thing about it is that I tried starting the car after the test, and now both coils are firing, and the car is running great ! One thing worth mentioning is that when I hooked up the HKS DLI (new one I bought from a member here) into the circuit, coil #2 would not fire. Without it, running the factory setup, the car is running fine. I think the coil switch that happened from #1 to #2 not sparking was because of another faulty DLI. I tried the DLI on a friends car, and he had problems too. As of right now, the car is running fine. Could that test I did on the coil drivers have triggered something in the EMS?
Even did a few logs while taking it around the block. Now that I am not using the DLI, would I need to change anything in the ignition parameters ?
awdboosted, send me your email address so I can send you my logs and my map to see if you can spot any discrepancies. Thanks for all the help...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cool