Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

EMS installed @ T.TRIX...some questions..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2004, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMS installed @ T.TRIX...some questions..

First off I would like to say nice gains!!! bad gas mileage... I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. Dyno showed 317 whp and 305lbs torque(91 octane). I have a Halllman MBC, Tanabe DP, stock cat, HKS cat back and a Greddy type s BOV...and the EMS. Jeff thinks I am good for another 10 - 15 poss WHP w/out a cat...we will see. Thanks to everyone at T.Trix and it was nice to meet Mark(EVOM) as well.

I just have a few questions you guys might be able to answer.

1. Why the wierd smell in the car now, like gas/glue combo or something... wierd.
2. When I accelerate the tach seems to be sticking a little, as if it were hesitating.
3. Any way to get rid of the delay when starting the car, it doesn't start right up anymore, it takes a few seconds.

other than that...love the feel of the car. It seems to run better now w/the EMS, as far as acceleration and turbo spool/power.

-J
Old Jul 24, 2004, 03:33 PM
Account Disabled

electrical smell by any chance? no clue on the tach... but on the startup.. every car I've ever owned with a standalone was a little quirky on start. This was due to their lack of a true startup program and inadequate cold start settings. It was considered "normal" and I'm assuming this is true with this ems as well...
Old Jul 24, 2004, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by techause
First off I would like to say nice gains!!! bad gas mileage... I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. Dyno showed 317 whp and 305lbs torque(91 octane). I have a Halllman MBC, Tanabe DP, stock cat, HKS cat back and a Greddy type s BOV...and the EMS. Jeff thinks I am good for another 10 - 15 poss WHP w/out a cat...we will see. Thanks to everyone at T.Trix and it was nice to meet Mark(EVOM) as well.

I just have a few questions you guys might be able to answer.

1. Why the wierd smell in the car now, like gas/glue combo or something... wierd.
2. When I accelerate the tach seems to be sticking a little, as if it were hesitating.
3. Any way to get rid of the delay when starting the car, it doesn't start right up anymore, it takes a few seconds.

other than that...love the feel of the car. It seems to run better now w/the EMS, as far as acceleration and turbo spool/power.

-J
Not sure about the gauge and the smell but it is a known issue with the EMS and startup. The reason it the EMS has to sync timing with the engine. There have been claims that you can do some tricks to help the problem out. Check out the AEM forums for more info.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

it takes a second to start up because with the stock ecu as soon as it senses the engine turning it starts batch firing everything. With the AEM EMS it reads the camshaft position sensor and the cranshaft position sensor. They each have to make a couple full rotations before the EMS can determine that it is safe to start the engine. As far as the tach, mine does that too. It's like it moves in segments instead of one smooth sweeping motion. I think it's just something to do with the tach signal relay in the EMS. Car will still drive fine. Don't worry. As far as the smell, I'm not sure. Since you have a cat it's not from a test pipe. That one, you will have to ask TTX about. The other things are normal though, no worries. Enjoy the new setup, it's definately one of the coolest things you can buy for you car !!!
Old Jul 24, 2004, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, if you turn the key to the ON position and let it stay there for a few seconds to let the fuel pump prime, and then turn it on, the car will start up a little bit quicker.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info guys. Yea, I can't figure the smell out either..it is similar to "clutch" smell but a little different. I think the guys at TTX have had enough of my questions for a while. I am glad that all of these things are normal. As far as the tach, I think it is just a problem w/the meter, the car revs super smooth. Oh, btw if anyone is considering a Turbo XS H34 BOV....DON"T do it, I had mine for under a week and it got stuck open... = NO Boost. Had to buy a Type S from TTX, thanks again Jeff, for fabricating the flange mount!

-J
Old Jul 24, 2004, 05:09 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Nice meeting you at the shop techause!

The gauge hesitation is a glitch in the EMS that they're working on... I have that too. You can definitely improve your mileage. Talk to Mark and have him retune your part throttle fuel a bit more.

Mark
Old Jul 24, 2004, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Tach Movement

My tach does that too... It has segmented movement. Anybody else have this problem and how could it be corrected. As far as the gas mileage have Mark do a road tune with you to lean things out a bit. You are most likely running very rich at cruise ~11.7-12.3. I had a road tune done and now am running 13.8-15.5 on cruise and am getting 320 ~ 350 on a full tank of gas.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by techause
-J
You sure Diesel didn't sneak in your car when its unattended?

I can't wait to have the AEM install at TT. All I'm waiting for is the AMS lower pipe and 660 injectors, should be here next week and will have the car tune the following week. Gonna shot for 360+hp on bump gas.

Last edited by kevo; Jul 24, 2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Wow 317WHP on crappy 91 octane with the stock cat, Turbo Trix Tuning and the EVO are simply awesome!
Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johnjonfenomeno
My tach does that too... It has segmented movement. Anybody else have this problem and how could it be corrected. As far as the gas mileage have Mark do a road tune with you to lean things out a bit. You are most likely running very rich at cruise ~11.7-12.3. I had a road tune done and now am running 13.8-15.5 on cruise and am getting 320 ~ 350 on a full tank of gas.
320~350 on a full tank of gas?!!! before i get the ems i get ~240 before it light up, now with the ems i barely get to 200.

i think i will give TURBOTRIX a call sometime next month when they have their Turbo kit out... so i can do the turbokit upgrade and have mark do a street tune on my car.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:50 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Is 91 octane available in NJ? I figured this was on 93 octane

Mark
Old Jul 25, 2004, 05:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey ..

The smell you are smelling is the cat ... Unfortunately ..that wont go away until you take it out. I know exactly the smell your talking about. As for the gas mileage .. bring it by and i'll pull some more fuel out of highway.. Every car is diff and sometimes takes me a couple of tries to get it good. The tach has a glitch in it... i wouldnt worry about it. The startup as KK has said ..they are working on. Depending on where the car is shut off ( ie the position of the crack in relation to the sensor ) The car will spin until it hits TDC ( top dead center ) then spin another rotation until it tells the computer to fire. They are working on that issue was well. I'll keep you updated. Im glad you like the power.. And yes you will need a clutch soon enough. Maybe when i fix your gas mileage you can do the test pipe and retune.. Its free. Great meeting you .. talk to you soon

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jul 25, 2004, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

91 is available as well as 93 and 94 at Sunoco
Old Jul 25, 2004, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

yea, 91 octane is at the gas station across the street...I got a little lazy....93/94 in there usually. Thanks for the info Mark, I will call you guys next week for the test pipe and we can figure out when we can do a retune (when ever you can fit me in at the shop, maybe you can acyually NOT work a 18hr day.. lol)....although I have to say it runs great now the EGT is actually 50 - 70C cooler at speeds.....nice.

-J

Quick Reply: EMS installed @ T.TRIX...some questions..