Notices

Service kit for W4A33

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service kit for W4A33

Just bought a 1994 Mitsubishi RVR Super Sports Gear on Friday. Is an interesting little car. A little 'van' type thing with a 4G63T and a W4A33 Tranny. Is a bit of a sleeper.. suprised a couple of idiots who wanted to muscle their way past at merges. It was made 1994 but has 2002 compliance ? 1775XX K's on the clock. The interior and electronics seem and appear to be A1,,, but the mechanical maintenance seems to be poor, judging by the engine oil and gearbox fluid condition. Apparently it was 'the wifes car'. It dose not have an owners handbook. I have always owned Commodores until now and so I am totally lost. The gearbox works fine until you drive a bit and then it seems to start acting up,, 'harsh changes ect.' eg... I leave home in Ipswich to go to work and it works well , I get on the motorway and its fine, just sits in overdrive, but when i get to Acacia Ridge, 44k's away, it starts 'harsh changing'. I have seen things on the web about this box 'overheating' and that is the way i am inclined to think. So I figure the first thing is to give the box a service and see how things go and maybe after that an aftermarket tranny cooler would be a possibility. I have read plenty of things strongly advicing against flushing the tranny radiator on an old car.

I went to repco today to buy a service kit for the tranny but was told that only thing they had on record for a 1994 RVR was a screw in filter. I am certain that I saw on my google blitz on the weekend that the W4A33 has an internal filter?? I crawled under the car, as far as my pot gut would let me, and could not see any screw in filter. A freind of mine ,who's into Subaru's, told me that some of the old Evos had the same motor and box, and that is how I came to find you guys,, a quick search on the net,,, ect.

So the question. What models have this gearbox in them and would there be any problem using the service kit from another model on the RVR? Also ,, where is the best place to buy them?

Well, thanks in advance for any constructive help.

Brenden